Controller (8 years), including approximately 1 year as Interim VP Finance in 1993 @ Time Warner Cable
Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A.) @
St. Mary's University
Paula was named Interim President and Chief Executive Officer in November 2015. Prior to this appointment, she served as Executive Vice President - Financial & Administrative Services, Chief Financial Officer & Treasurer, managing finances for the nation's largest gas and electric utility. Paula has served as CPS Energy's Chief Financial Officer since 2008. She also has served
Paula was named Interim President and Chief Executive Officer in November 2015. Prior to this appointment, she served as Executive Vice President - Financial & Administrative Services, Chief Financial Officer & Treasurer, managing finances for the nation's largest gas and electric utility. Paula has served as CPS Energy's Chief Financial Officer since 2008. She also has served the organization as Chief Administrative Officer and Controller.
Paula joined CPS Energy in 2004 after holding various positions in several San Antonio businesses, including Regional Controller for Time-Warner Cable and Vice President of Finance for Luby's, Inc. Paula holds an MBA and is a CPA (Certified Public Accountant) and CGMA (Chartered Global Management Accountant).
Interim President & Chief Executive Officer @ Paula was named Interim President and Chief Executive Officer in November 2015. Paula currently oversees all strategic & operational aspects of this vertically integrated utility that generates, transmits & distributes an effective & efficient portfolio of energy solutions, including those that align to & augment economic development, negotiated at national & global levels. From November 2015 to Present (2 months) San Antonio, Texas AreaGroup EVP – Financial & Administrative Services, CFO & Treasurer @ Continued management of all financial functions in addition to oversight of all the shared services functions, which include People & Culture (also referred to as Human Resources), Enterprise Safety & Health, Enterprise Information Technology (EIT), Supply Chain, Fleet, Facilities, and Physical & Cyber Security. From September 2014 to October 2015 (1 year 2 months) San Antonio, Texas AreaEVP & CFO @ EVP, Chief Financial Officer (CFO) & Treasurer – 100+ Employees 2008 - 2014
Strategic oversight of the following:
• Accounting: General; property & external reporting; including decommissioning.
• Enterprise Risk Management & Solutions (ERMS): Hedging, wholesale energy marketing risk management / middle office oversight; insurance & credit.
• Finance: Debt capital markets; cash & liquidity management; & employee benefit trusts.
• Financial Information Systems and Financial Quality Assurance.
• Financial Operations: Accounts Payable; Payroll & Current Asset Management.
• Financial Special Projects: Special financing / M&A domestic & international due diligence.
• Strategic Enterprise Resource Planning (SERP): Long-term forecasting & short-term budgeting.
• Strategic Pricing & Cost Recovery: Enterprise rates / cost recovery. From February 2008 to September 2014 (6 years 8 months) VP & Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) @ Promoted to lead the shared service, organizational excellence team. Oversight of the following areas: organizational excellence, employee services (including benefits & compensation), supply chain, facilities & other services. Primarily responsible for the extensive implementation of an enterprise-wide “requisite” re-organization, including a major re-structuring of the compensation system. Formally established the organization’s first supply chain division. From November 2006 to February 2008 (1 year 4 months) San Antonio, Texas AreaController & Assistant Treasurer @ Managed a team responsible for various accounting functions, including the following:
• Financial and external reporting and training
• Annual audit process, including GASB and regulatory implementations
• Financial Point of Contact for the Company's nuclear investment From October 2004 to November 2006 (2 years 2 months) San Antonio, Texas AreaCorporate VP - Finance & Accounting Officer (3 years); Deputy CFO (1 year); Controller (2 Years) @ Managed a functional team responsible for the accounting for more than 230 locations, approximately 600 restaurant managers, and 14,000 employees. Provided primary oversight of the Company’s budgeting & planning program, including presentations to the board & shareholders; accounts payable /payables; general accounting; and federal, state & local taxes. Implemented FASB* and SEC/ Sarbanes-Oxley regulations.
• Planned; coordinated & managed system conversions & other special projects, directly involving accounting; human resources & other information systems, including the SAP implementation.
• Streamlined financial staff level from approximately 60 employees & 15 temporaries to approximately 30 team members through effective process streamlining. From May 1998 to September 2004 (6 years 5 months) San Antonio, Texas AreaController (8 years), including approximately 1 year as Interim VP Finance in 1993 @ Managed an accounting staff of 16. Oversaw monthly financial closes; budgeting and forecasting; and internal control development. Responsible for FCC, other regulatory filings & contract reviews. Intermittently managed front counter customer service and IT functions. Managed the implementation of a new customer service and mainframe system. Developed special capital evaluation models. Functioned as the interim vice president. (This role was an exceptional, early career opportunity.) From 1990 to May 1998 (8 years) San Antonio, Texas AreaController @ Supervised an accounting department of eight people. Prepared weekly cash management reports & made daily investing/funding decisions. Prepared monthly financial statements for internal purposes, as well as for outside financial institutions. Prepared semi-annual budget-to-actual documents for senior management review. From October 1988 to May 1989 (8 months) San Antonio, Texas AreaStaff Accountant Promoted to Senior Accountant @ Supervised, administered, & handled most technical issues on audit engagements. Acquired SEC experience with cable, newspaper, television & large retail/wholesale photo finishing companies. Acquired private industry experience in mining enterprises, insurance companies, hotels, & various financial institutions. From January 1985 to October 1988 (3 years 10 months) San Antonio, Texas Area
Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.), Accounting and Finance, 4.0 @ Regis University From 2003 to 2006 Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A.), Accounting, 3.65 GPA, Magna Cum Laude @ St. Mary's University From 1982 to 1984 Associate’s Degree, Fine / Studio Arts, General @ San Antonio College From 1980 to 1982 Paula Gold-Williams is skilled in: Financial Analysis, Managerial Finance, Financial Reporting, Internal Controls, Management, Budgets, Mergers & Acquisitions, Analysis, Sarbanes-Oxley Act, Process Improvement, Forecasting, Contract Negotiation, Team Building, Microsoft Office, Microsoft Excel, Auditing, Accounting, Risk Management