Vice President of Product @ Janrain, Inc. (acquired by Akamai)
Investor @ Oregon Angel Fund
Vice President, Client-Side Analytics Product Management @ New Relic, Inc.
M.S., Telecommunications @
Southern Methodist University
Product Management, Product Marketing, Product Strategy, Business Development
Visionary executive leader with extensive expertise in product management, product marketing, product strategy, and customer interaction. Proficient in team building, staff management, cross-functional management, product planning, competitive positioning, and sales strategy. Customer-focused leader able to clearly articulate business unit vision, promote product strengths, create marketing content, and define target
Product Management, Product Marketing, Product Strategy, Business Development
Visionary executive leader with extensive expertise in product management, product marketing, product strategy, and customer interaction. Proficient in team building, staff management, cross-functional management, product planning, competitive positioning, and sales strategy. Customer-focused leader able to clearly articulate business unit vision, promote product strengths, create marketing content, and define target markets and strategies.
Vice President, Analytics Product Management @ From August 2014 to Present (1 year 5 months) Portland, Oregon AreaDirector, Analytics Product Management @ Joined New Relic as the product manager for a product under development, New Relic Insights. Created and managed the private beta, managed the transition to a public beta, and then drove the product to a successful GA launch in July 2014. From September 2013 to August 2014 (1 year) Portland, Oregon AreaVice President, Market Strategy & Product Management - Surveillance Systems @ Brought together three product management teams in three locations (Portland, OR; Billerica, MA; Stockholm, Sweden) under the Surveillance umbrella, including Airborne, Land, Sea, and Soldier systems. Defined a Product Launch Process to be used for all product groups. Helped drive a new level of collaboration with a product co-designed and developed in both Portland and Billerica. From June 2012 to September 2013 (1 year 4 months) Director, Commerce Technology Team @ Led a team responsible for managing the delivery of e-commerce solutions for Nike, including the online store, NIKEiD, geographic sites, and affiliates (Cole Haan, Converse, and Umbro).
* Managed the launch of the NFL Shop on nike.com with 97 storefronts (32 teams x men, women, children + the NFL storefront) launched simultaneously.
* Managed the online launch of the Nike Fuelband, including the largest single day sales of a product up to that time. From August 2011 to June 2012 (11 months) Principal @ A marketing and management consultancy focused on product marketing, product management, product strategy, and business development.
Business Development for Napkin Labs (www.napkinlabs.com, an early stage start up that provides a social innovation platform enabling companies to innovate faster by engaging consumers in dynamic, real-time, and brand focused conversations) to acquire new customers, drive revenue, and enter new market spaces.
Project/program manager, consultation on monetization strategies, and business planning for Mirror Realms, an early stage start up in Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Games (MMORPG).
White paper development for RadiSys Corporation. From February 2010 to August 2011 (1 year 7 months) Business Strategy Consultant @ As a temporary consultant working with Scientific Materials Corporation (a FLIR subsidiary which is making laser components and systems) I created a strategic plan with an emphasis on external revenue and market share growth, leveraging the existing capabilities and considering new activities (M&A, organic growth, new markets, etc.). Next, I completed a market analysis for FLIR's ~$600M Government Systems business unit, identifying key market trends, opportunities, and potential competitive threats. From September 2010 to March 2011 (7 months) Sr. Director, Media Server Product Management @ I focused on key accounts and acted as the business unit prime to win business and build revenue, driving product strategy, and leveraging my extensive product management and marketing background to help build a strong business unit team and deliver needed revenue and margin growth to the corporation.
* Redefined business model so RadiSys could approach end customer directly as the solution provider (opposed to going through a partner), allowing us to compete for a $3.4M opportunity (instead of only $580K opportunity in the original business model) - this model is also being leveraged in a number of other opportunities
* Defined new hardware platform for evolution of Media Server which will provide 4X - 9X capacity improvement and 30% - 70% cost reduction (depending on end application), secured corporate funding to launch project (project completion currently slated for end of 2011) From February 2009 to January 2010 (1 year) Vice President, Strategy & Business Development @ I was responsible for identification of potential new areas of product investment, engaging with prospective customers, and driving the business case to justify investments, as well as providing business and product input on M&A activities.
* Worked with CTO office to define process to propose, validate, and disposition potential investments, resulting in a focused list of applications. In 2010, one of the resulting ideas has received seed funding. From July 2008 to February 2009 (8 months) Vice President, Communications Networking Product Management @ As part of a corporate transition from customer-driven, "perfect fit" solutions to a market-driven, "standard" product portfolio, I was responsible for defining strategy, product roadmap, and customer engagement for a standards-based embedded telecom platform. I was responsible for the portfolio P&L and investment decisions.
* Established the ATCA product plan and initial rollout to the market, managing an $18M/year R&D investment, building the revenue to ~$20M in committed customer revenues and exceeding the committed margin profile, with a firm plan for the product portfolio to grow to more than $100M per year in revenue
* Acted as the “exec sponsor” for several key customers, working with the sales team to ensure a sound account strategy, resolve issues, and provide a strong product roadmap
* After the introduction of a re-engineered corporate Product Realization Process bogged down in implementation, stepped in as exec sponsor and identified issues impeding progress and implemented necessary changes, and drove overall implementation across the company From September 2006 to July 2008 (1 year 11 months) Sr. Director, Communications Networking Product Management @ Please see description under "Vice President, Communications Networking Product Management" From February 2005 to August 2006 (1 year 7 months) Director of Business Management, Wireless Mesh Networks @ In this role I was asked to build the business for a new Wireless LAN technology, publicly announced in October 2003. I was responsible for building the business team (product management, product marketing) and working with a development group that had been a CTO research group to ensure a successful product launch.
* Defined business case and secured corporate funding to launch the product
* Built a multi-site product management and product marketing team, determined product roadmap, made decisions on development spending, and prioritized customer requirements resulting in a successful product launch with quality products and securing lead customers from all targeted segments and regions, including over $20M in committed customer revenues From May 2003 to February 2005 (1 year 10 months) Director, Core Network Products - GSM Wireless Networks @ I led a group of product experts who delivered technical and business oriented solutions to meet account team and customer needs. This team was the lead product marketing team for the business unit which also provided input to internal product management teams to ensure continued product fit to market needs
* Ensured leadership and growth for Nortel Networks in market share and wallet share of wireless operators
* Defined market strategy, including trade shows, press and industry analyst interaction, sales training, and direct customer presentations From April 2001 to May 2003 (2 years 2 months) Sr. Manager, UMTS Solutions Marketing @ I was given an expatriate assignment to build a marketing team for a new product in the Nortel Networks portfolio of wireless solutions.
* As Nortel Networks began developing its 3rd Generation (3G) Mobile solution, defined and communicated the value proposition and key messages for the technology to the market on a global basis, and acted as prime interface for account teams to define and refine strategy for approaching potential customers
* Represented Nortel Networks and its strategy in industry events, tradeshows, conferences, etc. and as the prime 3G wireless subject matter expert to the press and analyst community
* During assignment Nortel Networks acquired 18% of the 3G wireless market as opposed to 8% existing 2nd Generation (2G) market share From June 1999 to April 2001 (1 year 11 months) Multiple positions @ Progressed through multiple positions of increasing authority, including: Senior Manager, CDMA Market Development EMEA; Product Marketing Manager, Member of Scientific Staff, Database Engineer
* Built broad base of technical, marketing, and business experience through varied assignments.
* Short term expatriate assignment in Maidenhead, England, to provide guidance and transfer knowledge to a new regional sales team
* Prime line of business representative to open the Russian wireless market to Nortel Networks products providing core line of business product knowledge in customer presentations and relationships, network bid proposals, industry trade shows, and industry associations
* Worked as a design engineer on digital circuit packs used in wireless and international digital switching systems
* Worked in an operations role to define and implement customer translations requirements for initial installations of digital PBX systems From May 1991 to June 1999 (8 years 2 months)
M.S., Telecommunications @ Southern Methodist University From 1993 to 1996 B.S., Electrical Engineering @ Texas A&M University From 1986 to 1990 Todd Etchieson is skilled in: Product Strategy, Product Marketing, Product Management, Cross-functional Team Leadership, Go-to-market Strategy, Sales Account Strategy, Proposal Strategy & Response, Product Roadmaps, Pricing Strategy, Press & Analyst Relations, Global Business Development, New Business Development, Strategic Partnerships, Monetization Strategies, Process Engineering
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension