BS, Management @
Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey-New Brunswick
Creative and focused Project Management Office (PMO) and Project Portfolio Director, who utilizes strong project, program, and portfolio management; problem solving and team building skills in the establishment and management of a PMO. Industry experience includes healthcare, insurance, financial services, media and retail. Hold a PMP designation from the Project Management Institute and a MBA in Quantitative
Creative and focused Project Management Office (PMO) and Project Portfolio Director, who utilizes strong project, program, and portfolio management; problem solving and team building skills in the establishment and management of a PMO. Industry experience includes healthcare, insurance, financial services, media and retail. Hold a PMP designation from the Project Management Institute and a MBA in Quantitative Analysis. Particularly strong at establishing and managing PMOs, aligning project portfolios with business strategies and coaching and mentoring project managers.
Director - Strategic Portfolio Management @ Work in close partnership with the Chief Operating Officer of the Health Plan division and serve as a member and facilitator of their Operations Leadership council. Develop annual strategic objectives, facilitate major retreats and decision making meetings, coordinate the work of the division with the other operating divisions, and oversee the division’s project portfolio which has over 50 projects with a budgeted value of over $18M. Directly manage over 30 project management professionals.
• Facilitated a prioritization exercise during a Special Off-Site Health Plans Admin Council Meeting. Led the Council Members through a group process that enabled the Council to quickly prioritize their shared objectives for the year. After the meeting, authored a Shared Objectives Template to be used to capture the objectives in detail. Managed the effort of preparing the forms and performed a quality review of completed documents. Through these efforts, Health Plans now has a documented and prioritized list of Shared Objectives.
• The Health Plan had just a one year project outlook. This made it difficult to understand budget requirements, resource needs and strategy alignment out more than one year. To address, created a rolling 36 month project portfolio. The Health Plan now has a full understanding of its project resource requirements and tactical alignment to its strategies for a three year planning horizon.
• Led an effort to identify project resource constraints throughout the Health Plan. Through this process, determined additional staffing needs and resource leveraging opportunities. This effort allowed the Health Plan to acutely sequence their projects over their three year portfolio planning horizon. From 2010 to Present (5 years) Director - Project Management Office @ As an IT executive and a direct report to the CIO, lead and manage the Project Management Office. This includes the leadership and management of all the project management, business analyst and quality assurance resources; develop and maintain strategies, processes, tools and methodologies to support ongoing project management activities. Responsible for overseeing the management of scope, issues, risks, work plans, communications, resources and budget across multiple simultaneous projects. Ensure consistency with corporate strategy, processes across projects and customer satisfaction with the project deliveries. Manage the IT project portfolio through the use of portfolio planning, prioritization, resource allocations and status reporting. Serve as the IT representative to the CEO and the Executive Management Team as well as to internal and external user groups. Directly manage seven project management professionals.
• Established the PMO, which included the staffing of four Project Managers and the creation and implementation of all processes and standard templates. Had the PMO up and running within two months.
• Implemented a project portfolio management process, which ensures that the active projects are aligned with the corporate business strategies. Now all project initiation decisions take into account the project’s alignment to the company’s strategic priorities.
• Established an executive reporting dashboard and regular project portfolio reviews with the CEO and the Executive Management Team. The result, senior management is fully engaged in the management of the project portfolio.
• Established a compete set of benchmarks and metrics to measure project delivery success. Utilizing this information we have been able to focus our efforts at improving our processes and execution. From 2006 to 2010 (4 years) Greater New York City AreaProgram Manager @ Within the Departmental PMO, managed the enhancement and maintenance of all the systems utilized by the Market Business Units (sales and marketing organization). This included online quotes/proposals, online renewals, online group enrollment, online member maintenance, document management and CRM (Siebel). Directed over 30 team members in the support of the Broker and Group Portals. Managed cross-functional project teams of 5 to 30 in the delivery of new application functionality. Responsible for technology controls associated with SOX, for an operational budget of over $1M and managed a direct staff of 3 Project Managers/Business Analysts.
• Led an effort to define the strategic vision for the next generation Broker Portal. This included leading a team of 3 analysts, interviewing business leaders, holding user focus groups and identifying best practices. The result was an approved set of requirements to create a “best in class” portal for participating brokers.
• Led a team of 10 that built a new online member maintenance application for national account business. Working with internal and external resources, delivered the application within budget and on time. This application eliminated 100,000 manual enrollment transactions a year.
• Led the effort to enhance current online member maintenance application to allow small groups to access the system. This project included negotiating with the Legal team to mitigate fraud issues. My determination to overcome the fraud concerns opened electronic processing of enrollment/billing transactions to 40,000+ small groups.
• Organized and led the Broker Portal User Group. This group included the top-producing brokers. The creation and ongoing affects of this group led to very high adoption rates, with over 90% of our small group enrollments being electronically processed though the online Broker Portal. From 2003 to 2006 (3 years) Greater New York City AreaProject Manager – eBusiness Development Group @ Project Manager – eBusiness Development Group [2000 to 2003]
Managed the enhancement and maintenance of all the life insurance content on the public and client Internet websites. Worked as a Project Manager developing self-service applications for the client website. Directed over 10 team members in the support of the life insurance web content. Managed cross-functional project teams of 5 to 25 in the delivery of new application functionality. Responsible for an operational budget of over $1M and had one Project Manager/Business Analyst as a direct report.
• Redesigned the term life insurance quoting application, which improved the quote to lead conversion rate from 1.26% to 4.24%, a 337% increase.
• Led a cross-functional team of 10 in the design and development of a new Estate Planning calculator for use on the website. When launched it became the most highly used calculator on the public website.
• Partnered with the Merchandising group to completely rewrite the life insurance Internet content to be more informative and easier to navigate. This was all done with no budget dollars allocated to the project. After implementation, the website increased to #2 on Dalbar’s rankings for life insurance & annuity websites.
• Developed and implemented a comprehensive measurement process, to address the complete lack of measuring capability regarding the online life insurance quoting application. Where there was no measurement ability, now every important aspect of the application is measurable. This now provides management with vital information when making important strategic decisions regarding the online life insurance quoting application.
• For 2003, leads generated from the life insurance quoting application brought in $850,000 in new first year premiums and $2.2M in new assets under management. From 2000 to 2003 (3 years) Greater New York City AreaProject Manager – Equity Trading Systems @ Managed all the system development projects and support activities for the Public Equity groups in the Global Asset Management business unit. This included supporting offices in Newark, London, Tokyo and Hong Kong. Managed a staff of 3 programmers. Went beyond the scheduled work and successfully implemented more than planned for the year.
• In managing a system development team for the Individually Managed Accounts asset managed team, went beyond the scheduled work and was able to successfully implement more than planned for the year. This included successfully managing three major upgrades/releases to a vendor product portfolio management/trading system. This led to high customer satisfaction and more efficient business processing.
• In an effort to provide a more structured and manageable technology support process for the Global Growth asset management team, I installed a status reporting process that provided users with a weekly status report, held weekly status meetings with staff and conducted a monthly status meeting with the users. All these actions resulted in reversing a poor relationship with users into a positive and rewarding relationship with the user group.
• Managed a Developer temporary located in London to convert Portfolio Managers and Trades to a new client/server trading system. The conversion was successfully implemented on time. Expectations were exceeded since the Developer was able to install a new MS Excel based reporting system that was not scheduled until the Phase II release.
• Worked with a market data provider to make our weekly batch performance reports available to the Portfolio Managers, located in our Newark, London, Tokyo and Hong Kong offices, via the vendor’s secure Internet site. This eliminated the need to print then fax 100 pages of reports to each office. From 1999 to 2000 (1 year) Greater New York City AreaProject Manager – Portfolio Management Group – PMO @ Managed the enhancement of the Investment Planning Model, reporting of total returns attribution, and all of system development/enhancement work in support of the General Account, which had holdings of over $130B. Managed cross-functional project teams of 5 to 10. Managed a staff of 3.
• Led a team that redesigned the Investment Planning Model application. This application predicted the investment income on the General Account. Took an Excel based model and converted it to a client/server based application. This reduced model runtime from 2 weeks to 2 days.
• Initiated a project management process to identify, track and install the necessary enhancement requests for the investment planning model. This included managing the development of a Lotus Notes based project management system, preparing formalized project plans and scheduling periodic status meetings. These improvements have led to better communications between users, systems and QA, a more controlled develop process and a reduction in project cycle time.
• Lead a weekly meeting of Portfolio Managers to discuss data issues concerning the management of Prudential’s General Account. Responsible for identifying agenda items, leading discussion, following up on problem resolution and generating meeting minutes.
• Developed an MS Access based reporting system used to obtain information from the investment planning model. This application has greatly reduced the need to develop manual reports in MS Excel, thereby cutting report preparation/generation time by 25%. From 1998 to 1999 (1 year) Greater New York City AreaProject Manager – Enterprise Solutions – PMO @ Led the PMO, which worked with department’s management to develop, implement and maintain a project management process and methodology.
• Developed a complete project management life cycle methodology for system development and enhancement projects for an application development department with a staff of 250. Successfully launched a program that included the integration of project plan, budget and time reporting data.
• Developed an MS Access based Project Budgeting System to enable management to easily develop an annual budget and reforecast their budget throughout the year.
• Developed an MS Access database to track and maintain information on system development projects and production applications. The Database reduced the time necessary to produce management and status reports by 80%.
• Formalized and instituted a project initiation request and approval process for development and system enhancement projects. The result was a standard request and approval process ensuring the most effective and efficient use of resources. From 1997 to 1998 (1 year) Greater New York City AreaAssistant Project Manager – National Purchasing & Contracts Department – PMO @ Worked in the PMO, which identified, recommended, and implemented world-class business processes and practices to support the internal operations of the firm.
• Served as the Assistant Project Manager of a firm wide asset management program for technology. This project took into account all aspects of the life cycle of microcomputer technology and its primary function is to support one of the largest microcomputer leasing programs in the country. Successfully launched program on time and within budget.
• Managed the development and maintenance of a Lotus Notes Knowledge Base system for the National Purchasing and Contracts Department. This system increased the compliance to firm standard purchasing policies by 50%. From 1995 to 1997 (2 years) Greater New York City AreaBusiness Analyst – Operational Analysis Department @ Assisted the Applications Division with reengineering and creating new systems for large-scale manual processes.
• Served as an Internal Consultant for Continuous Improvement Program, taking on Key role as resource member/facilitator for the Business Process Reengineering Team. Team reworked the direct mail service by incorporating imaging technology. These efforts resulted in a 77% reduction in processing steps.
• Analyzed department work flow, discovering there were no controls to monitor/evaluate employee performance. Reengineered/instituted improved rules/regulations, leading to rapid increase in employee productivity while allowing a 15% reduction in staff.
• Part of development team that redesigned company’s mainframe Redemption Processing System, improving its reporting and analysis capabilities, thus allowing for tighter controls and a 25% reduction in staff. From 1989 to 1994 (5 years) Greater New York City AreaManagement Trainee @ Entered the company as part of a two-year fast track Management Trainee program designed to give the employee knowledge of the entire company by rotating the trainee through numerous departments. From 1987 to 1989 (2 years) Greater New York City Area
MBA, Quantitative Analysis @ Fairleigh Dickinson UniversityBS, Management @ Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey-New Brunswick Robert Tresente, PMP is skilled in: PMO, Portfolio Management, Risk Management, SDLC, Process Engineering, Quality Assurance, Business Requirements, Team Building, Program Management, Coaching, Process Improvement, Vendor Management, Business Analysis, Mentoring, Governance