Three decades in the middle of all things business, one has been fortunate to have and to be continuing to shape the strategic outlook of companies across diverse sectors (Engineering & Electronics, Financial Services, Media, Infrastructure) - from Fundraising, orchestrating Public Equity offerings to Corporate Structuring, complete Turnaround Strategies, Mergers & Acquisitions and Engineering all-round Operational Efficiencies.
Three decades in the middle of all things business, one has been fortunate to have and to be continuing to shape the strategic outlook of companies across diverse sectors (Engineering & Electronics, Financial Services, Media, Infrastructure) - from Fundraising, orchestrating Public Equity offerings to Corporate Structuring, complete Turnaround Strategies, Mergers & Acquisitions and Engineering all-round Operational Efficiencies. With Amar Ujala group now, and at the helm of an exciting entrepreneurial venture, which is still in 'stealth mode'.
Whole time Director @ Amar Ujala Publications is the 4th largest news business in India. As Whole time Director and CFO,
one is responsible for Strategic planning, Business expansion, New product development, brand management and Finance. In the past year, the company has transformed into a highly profitable organisation with the introduction of new value-engineering initiatives, cost-rationalisation, new product launches, and innovation in the existing product portfolio.
One is also overseeing the process of having the company listed in the Indian stock exchange through IPO. From March 2014 to Present (1 year 10 months) Noida Area, IndiaGroup CEO and CFO @ One was the Group CEO and CFO of 5 business verticals of Jindal ITF, a 100% subsidiary of Jindal SAW (OP Jindal group). It has two verticals for water and waste management under the infrastructure arm, two verticals for coastal transportation multi-modal logistics under transportation arm and Shipyards and Rail Infrastructure under fabrication arm.
One contributed significantly here in creating a multi-modal logistics space and in expanding waste-management business outside India. From December 2010 to January 2012 (1 year 2 months) CEO @ Quippo was the largest independent tower company in India. One joined it during challenging times; other mobile operators had formed their own tower companies following the sharing infrastructure model. Diverse challenges ranged from capital raising, to hiring the right people, retaining trained manpower, developing alternative sources of revenue and achieving business targets through inorganic growth.
One created the organisation from scratch, hiring HODs for each function, cascading the vision, mission and goal of the organisation, up-skilling them with multitasking, ensuring corporate governance and compliances and developing customer expectation management. One created value, building brand, market share, driving growth, revenue and shareholder wealth.
We built a value of Rs 5000 Cr from Rs 400 Cr in only a year. The defining achievement of the efforts was when the company was merged with the Tata Tele services to form Viom networks, with a portfolio of about 35000 towers, with more than 2 tenancy, the highest in the industry. One drove the idea and execution of the JV and played a significant role in capital structure/funding/ commercial and legal framework. This contribution has been acknowledged by the industry and by both JV partners.
For the new entity, one was designated Dy CEO and CFO. From 2007 to 2010 (3 years) Director Finance @ As group CFO of India's most powerful media brand, one was responsible for Efficient resource management, Shareholder's value creation, Controllership, including legal compliance (Tax/forex/RBI etc), Financial controls and Analysis.
As a member of the Corporate strategy group, one drove and participated in strategy discussions for diversification / expansion of products / markets.
Among other responsibilities, was the role of:
- Identifying business opportunities through business partnering(M&A), strategic business alliance/JVs etc
- Treasury Operations (Raising fund/forex management etc)
- Direct tax planning, assessment and management
- Evaluation of business performance with business heads with value added analysis on regular basis and highlight areas of concerns with action plan for improvement. From 2000 to 2007 (7 years) Operation Head/ Finance Head for Processing business/ Financial Controller for GE Capital Services @ As a part of the various roles here, one established sound financial and operational controls in the entire company, keep track and reported corporate controllership measurements, analysed past, current and future financial trends, reviewed process in place to take action on the analysis with derived recommendations and focussed on meaningful business analysis, forecasting and reporting.
- Worked on development of robust financial controls and reporting system
- Fund management and ensure cost of fund efficiency.
- Direct and Indirect Taxation
- Monthly Accounts for the company in line with U.S.A. reporting formalities.
- Preparation and establishing budgetary control - MIS and rolling budget system
- Active participation in business heads meet, analysing portfolio performance , cost control , profitability analysis vis-à-vis budget From 1996 to 2000 (4 years) Head of Finance @ Escorts is one of the largest Financial Services Company in North India and is part of Rs 2500 Cr Group, with 18 offices across the country and offers a wide range of services.
One worked as Head of Finance, performing Treasury operations, including funds mobilisation and management; Accounting functions, which included preparation and monitoring of Budgets, defining Systems for Credit Appraisal, minimising the money float, and controlling the cost of funds.
- Handling Income Tax matters and assessment, Sales Tax.
- Consolidation of Accounts of various Regions and Business Units i.e. Hire Purchase Leasing, Fixed Deposits, Bills Discounting, ICDs, Broking, Consumer Finance, Merchant Banking, Mutual Fund and preparation of Balance Sheets From 1994 to 1996 (2 years) Head - Finance & Accounts (North)/ Head – Commercial Dept etc @ This is a Fortune 500 Company, ranked 5th among World’s largest Electrical & Electronics Companies.
One began from here, worked in various capacities.
- Internal Auditor
- Head - Factory Accounts
- Head - Finance & Accounts [ Northern Region ]: Was responsible for Accounting and Finance functions of the multi-product/ multidivisional marketing office. Responsible for all control related functions; for extending support functions including MIS for various business division. Responsible (with Profit Centre Head ) for the overall business profitability, development, growth, working capital management etc. Involved in the Strategic Planning of business
- Head, Commercial Department: Responsible for all Commercial functions including tax / legal implications of all negotiations and business deals. Handling formalities and documentation for Imports / Exports.
TRAINING: Was sent on deputation to Siemens Ltd, Headquarters at Germany. On the job training getting exposure to International accounting standards as well as systems / processes. Was sent to USA to GE Capital Head Quarter for training on financial reporting system/treasury/controllership/ six sigma etc. From 1984 to 1994 (10 years)
F.C.A. from Institute of Chartered Accountants of India Probal Ghosal is skilled in: Fundraising, corporate structuring, Mergers & Acquisitions, Business Alliances, Public Equity Offerings, executional excellence, Operational Efficiency, Strategic Planning, Turnaround Strategy
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension