President and CEO @ PLUMgrid is a leading innovator of secure and scalable virtual networking for OpenStack clouds. Founded in 2011, PLUMgrid provides software networking solutions that enable hybrid data centers to connect tenants, applications and workloads efficiently across hypervisors, virtualized, bare metal and container based architectures. PLUMgrid is funded by venture capital and strategic investors. From
President and CEO @ PLUMgrid is a leading innovator of secure and scalable virtual networking for OpenStack clouds. Founded in 2011, PLUMgrid provides software networking solutions that enable hybrid data centers to connect tenants, applications and workloads efficiently across hypervisors, virtualized, bare metal and container based architectures. PLUMgrid is funded by venture capital and strategic investors. From June 2015 to Present (5 months) Sunnyvale, CaliforniaBoard Member @ Violin Memory is the leader for enterprise-grade primary storage solutions combining flash and data management services for maximum data availability, reliability, and performance. Violin created the industry 10 years ago and is the flash technology leader through its purpose built hardware and software.
Violin solutions transform customer businesses through dramatic total cost of ownership benefits. Violin’s data protection suite is unmatched in flash and we offer companies zero data loss protection. Violin also provides a full range of professional services and support to deploy best practices, offering expertise and peace of mind to companies.
Initial public offering on New York Stock Exchange in September 2013.
NYSE: VMEM From April 2010 to Present (5 years 7 months) Mountain View, CaliforniaAdvisory Board Member @ Early stage wireless infrastructure company, rooted in the wireless systems and data-center networking worlds. From May 2014 to Present (1 year 6 months) Cupertino, CAAdvisory Board Member @ Wire data analyzer for the cloud: real-time insight with simplicity and flexibility From October 2014 to Present (1 year 1 month) Board Member @ A leader in email marketing solutions, working each day with email marketers in retail, telecommunications, financial services, media and high technology, helping them achieve superior results and reach higher ROI on their email marketing programs. From December 1996 to October 2015 (18 years 11 months) Palo Alto, CaliforniaPresident and CEO @ • Start-up company delivering one-click backup, recovery and continuity solutions for the mid-market. Protecting thousands of Windows and Linux servers for hundreds of customers in ten countries.
• Increased net bookings 1150% over three years, to a run-rate approaching $10 million.
• Successfully extended business model from appliance-only delivery to incorporate hybrid cloud and software-as-a-service. Monthly recurring revenues surpassed $150,000, growing rapidly with minimal churn (under 1 percent).
• Raised a total of $21.6 million in Series B and C rounds from new and existing investors.
• Hired leadership team, including vice presidents of sales, marketing, and product engineering, as well as director of operations and support. More than doubled team to over 50 employees, while upgrading talent in key positions.
• Cultivated dozens of partners, generating more than half of revenue from indirect channels.
• Added inside sales, lead development, and marketing automation, to double pipeline while reducing payback time of customer acquisition costs from 32 months to 14 months.
• Emphasized advocacy marketing, drawing on broad customer satisfaction to develop new prospects and close new deals. About one in four customers posted positive reviews about their product and support experiences in venues like Spiceworks.
• Increased company visibility with coverage in the Wall Street Journal, Forbes, and Bloomberg Businessweek, as well as numerous trade blogs and publications.
• Moved company to its first independent facility (previously sublet from spin-out parent). Cultivated positive culture, with encouraging employee reviews on Glass Door. From September 2010 to November 2013 (3 years 3 months) San Jose, CaliforniaBoard Member @ Wide-area network (WAN) optimization solutions focused on accelerating big data traffic traversing inter-data center networks.
Assets acquired by Riverbed. From May 2012 to February 2013 (10 months) San Jose, CaliforniaBoard Member @ Worldwide market leader in service provider wireless LAN.
Acquired by Ericsson. From March 2010 to March 2012 (2 years 1 month) Kanata, OntarioVice President and General Manager, Services and Mobility Business Unit @ • Responsible for revenue and profitability for Cisco mobile internet products. Led several hundred engineers, product managers, and business development professionals.
• Grew mobile internet business from near-zero to over $290 million annual bookings, with 75% gross margins, and contribution margin (proxy P&L) over $115 million. Among top growth generators for the company.
• Created the Cisco Mobile Exchange framework, allowing mobile operators to offer advanced data services. More than 1,400 systems have been installed, in nearly 100 operator networks.
• Cultivated AT&T Wireless as flagship customer, with every Apple iPhone in the U.S. connecting through Cisco mobile gateway products. Also supported massive text message voting for American Idol.
• Served global clientele including Sprint, Verizon Wireless, Rogers, France Telecom/Orange, T-Mobile, Turkcell, KDDI, and China Telecom.
• Partnered with Alcatel, Lucent, Motorola, and Siemens to create best-of-class solutions for mobile operators. Eased competitive tension through customer contact, interoperability, and personal relationships.
• Turned around service provider voice-over-IP business, transforming over $100 million annual loss into profitability through 40% Y/Y increase in bookings, along with expense reductions and quality improvement.
• Served as company executive spokesperson for the mobile internet and service provider business. From December 2001 to November 2009 (8 years) San Jose, CaliforniaVice President, Service Provider Marketing @ • Established offerings for carriers and service providers, including broadband internet access, IP and optical integration, content hosting, virtual private networks, voice over IP, and bandwidth trading.
• Created the “New World” campaign emphasizing Cisco packet strengths versus circuit competitors.
• Led business accelerator programs and distributed $20 million annually in co-op marketing funds.
• Produced ground-breaking industry events, including the NetAid benefit concert, which set a world record for simultaneous streams, and the Titan AE premiere, the first ever debut of a Hollywood movie over the internet.
• Helped grow service provider revenues five-fold, to more than $2.5 billion per quarter.
• Assembled world-class team of more than two hundred experts; including business development, solution managers, technical marketing, marcom, web publishing, press and analyst relations. From December 1997 to March 2001 (3 years 4 months) San Jose, CaliforniaVice President, Product Management @ • Promoted IP switching, precursor to Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) and Software Defined Networks (SDN).
• Introduced Unix/Intel routing platform, foundation for Nokia mobile gateway and Check Point firewall appliance.
• Directed product line strategy and led team responsible for all product management and marketing, technical marketing, web site development, and information systems.
Acquired by Nokia. From March 1996 to December 1997 (1 year 10 months) Sunnyvale, CaliforniaDirector, Product Marketing (last title) @ • Launched CiscoFusion architecture for the Catalyst Ethernet switch, which grew to over 60% market share.
• Established successful ATM switch product line through development and acquisition.
• Led product management and marketing for high-end router product line.
• Determined requirements for Cisco 7500 router product, which generated more than $3 billion in revenue and was recognized as “the third most important networking product of the decade” (Network Computing).
• Determined requirements for first ATM router interface and guided product development, generating more than $250 million in revenue.
• With one other engineer, provided all technical marketing for entire Cisco product line, including product demonstrations, tests and benchmarking, competitive analysis, and field engineer training. From March 1991 to March 1996 (5 years 1 month) Menlo Park, CaliforniaMember of Technical Staff @ • Investigated Switched Multi-megabit Data Service (SMDS), Fiber Distributed Data Interface (FDDI), Intelligent Network services, videotex, encryption key management, and 900/976 numbers. From May 1986 to March 1991 (4 years 11 months) Red Bank, New JerseySummer Intern @ From May 1984 to August 1984 (4 months) Whippany, New Jersey
Executive Education, Directors' Consortium @ Stanford University Graduate School of BusinessMS, Operations Research @ Stanford University From 1986 to 1987 BSE, Electrical Engineering @ Duke University From 1982 to 1986 Larry Lang is skilled in: Cloud Computing, Product Management, Product Marketing, Data Center, Disaster Recovery, Mobile Internet, Telecommunications, VoIP, Start-ups, Mobile Devices, Ethernet, MPLS, Cisco Technologies, IP, Awesomeness, SaaS, Wireless
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension