I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me. - Isaac
I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the sea-shore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me. - Isaac Newton, C. 1725
• System software design and implementation.
• Large scale TCP/IP based systems for web services.
• Distributed hash tables.
• Distributed databases.
• Hardware architecture design and implementation.
• Graphical user interface application design and implementation.
• Object oriented program architecture and programming.
• Real-time 3D. Algorithm design and low-level optimized implementation.
• Twenty years experience as software engineer and programmer.
• Four years Real-time 3D, Windows and Mac (mostly Pentium).
• Eight years experience as Macintosh programmer.
• Ten years experience as Windows programmer.
• Eclipse, NetBeans, Microsoft Dev studio, Xcode.
• Open Source projects.
• Unix, Amazon Elastic Compute cloud.
• Agile development. Ruby, Rails.
• Java NIO, extensive experience with Windows and Pentium.
Senior software architect @ Migrating the large existing code base into a high performance massively distributed system. Java, jooq, gradle, guice, guava, jenkins, memcached, redis, and some swing. Applied for patent on novel permissions system. From May 2013 to Present (2 years 8 months) Senior software architect @ More fun than a bucket of puppies. No, really. I'm having the time of my life. Those guys rock.
• I was a NoSQL pioneer and proved it was possible at a time when all other products
were MySql. Today Playdom, and Disney, use the DisneyDb which is NoSql.
• Interviewed 100's of applicants and hired dozens. I can pick the best.
• I wrote and deployed an http and socket based non-blocking distributed system from
scratch (on tcp api's).
• I advised many teams on NoSql strategies.
• Evaluated serialization strategies and wrote, and deployed, one to production.
• Evaluated NoSql packages (mongo, membase, etc) and wrote several experimental
version of that.
• I became the most capable debugger for several products. Some of which were not
written by myself.
• Documented and educated others to reduce reliance upon myself.
• Wrote many tech demos and game engines. Wrote a tiny NanoWebSocket server.
• My work was recognized, in print, by VC's as being a reason that Playdom was
acquired by Disney.
• The game I wrote, Wild Ones, is still a popular product with an unusually long life.
• Promoted an IDE and tools for non-programmers to design and get immediate
• Brought an overseas team up to speed. From February 2009 to May 2013 (4 years 4 months) Seriously experienced Engineer. @ Master of massive multi-player back end systems. From February 2009 to May 2013 (4 years 4 months) Senior Software Architect. @ From 2009 to 2009 (less than a year) Founder @ JotScale.org (Open Source)
I did extensive work with Adobe Actionscript using the Flex development environment and using the Flex library. I wrote supporting server demos using Ruby/Rails. Then I wrote a highly scaleable web services systems basically comprising http, and binary, web services with an integrated distributed object storage with redundancy and realtime growth and failover. This is the JotScale.org project which is now Open Source on the web. I am introducing a new asynchronous model for web services, primarily AJAX with server push, with a simplified interface, similar to Rails, that is very efficient and scalable well beyond any common technologies. From January 2007 to October 2008 (1 year 10 months) Architect @ Hired as Graphics Technology Expert, became Exceptional Software Engineer attached to the Architecture department. I wrote the architecture for eBay Picture Systems, which was later deployed. This included an ActiveX component and also demo servers in Java. I wrote many white papers for the arch dept. and implemented demo code as support. I wrote the arch and code for all the admin tools for Kijiji.com and implemented several imports of foreign data (German,Spanish) into the Kijiji database. I worked on the K2 project with Shopping.com team members to implement a product search product using commodity linux hardware and wrote code for Nutch, Hadoop, and Lucene to support web crawling and search. I worked with the Search team and implemented a data interchange format in C++ for company wide use (similar to Google Protocol Buffers). I extensively studied 'the Google Way' (redundant cheap commodity hardware, as opposed to expensive reliable hardware) of implementing large scale systems. From 2002 to 2006 (4 years) Engineer @ (see eBay, above) From 2005 to 2005 (less than a year) Engineer @ I implemented several hardware prototypes. I wrote a system for cycle-accurate hardware simulation in C++. I also wrote a lot of 3d code including parts of ActiveX and OpenGL drivers.
US Patent 6754772 - Distributed cache
US Patent Application 20070150706 - Reducing data hazards in pipelined processors to provide high processor utilization. From 2001 to 2003 (2 years) Consultant @ An open source language for programming 3D graphics. Based on C++. Includes compiler and code generator to generate code for D3D (DirectX8) and OpenGL. Also, includes software renderer for debugging of vertex and pixel shader routines. Some content produced under contract (but not by me) for nVidia. From 2002 to 2002 (less than a year) Founder @ Venture funded startup. Two releases of two 3D, VRML based, software products. BSP and Z buffer rendering of VRML 2.0 scene graph. Supporting software, 3dfx, Rendition, OpenGL, and D3D rendering. Everything from high level shadow and lighting calculations for authoring product to low level Vxd driver to support rendering product. From 1996 to 1998 (2 years) Software developer @ Wrote Acrobat 1.0. Invented PDF. From 1992 to 1994 (2 years)