Chief Strategy and Technology Officer @ InnovationShift Consulting
Advisor @ DAV Alliance
PHD, Distributed Operating Systems @
City, University of London
I've spent my career driving towards delivering solutions for 'connected consumers' whether at work or at play. My goal is to create novel new solutions that empower users (rather than devices) at work or at play through device software and the powerful cloud systems that drive them. Today we see this in the Internet of Things movement,
I've spent my career driving towards delivering solutions for 'connected consumers' whether at work or at play. My goal is to create novel new solutions that empower users (rather than devices) at work or at play through device software and the powerful cloud systems that drive them. Today we see this in the Internet of Things movement, but before that it was Smart TV, Digital TV, Smart Homes, Smartphones, Factory Automation, Pervasive Computing and many more.
Over my career, I've had the wonderful chance to create and work on key technology transitions such as delivering the first Digital TVs @ Sony ('99), creating the first cloud computing systems @ HP, instigating many of the first IoT devices and services from Samsung (2007 onwards), creator of the first 2nd-screen solutions and many more. Over this time, I have over 100 software patents filed in the areas of IoT, digital media, platforms and distributed systems. Also, I have a Ph.D. in Distributed Systems and a B.Sc. in Computer Science.
I still love to code and am often found playing with the latest device platforms, toying with the latest open source big data software or improving the elaborate set of servers/services/networks and devices that run my home. I believe that by leveraging my deep technical expertise in software and along with deep experience with market ecosystems and user experience, we can create more meaningful solutions for consumers among the crowd of many new players in this space.
In summary, I've been instrumental in driving towards 'connected consumers':
* Widely recognized industry leader in new product creation and software solutions in both the Internet of Things and Digital Media Delivery (since 1999)
* Certified Agile Product Owner leveraging Agile, Lean and Scrum methodologies
* Deep technical expertise in big data analytics, machine learning/semantics, IoT, platforms, and distributed systems
Vice President, Head of Advanced Software Technology (IoT, Intelligence, Privacy tech, Internet TV) @ Leading Samsung's drive towards creating next generation software to enable new solutions for Samsung across its product lines (TV, mobile, IoT). Given, there are now 100s of millions of connected devices in the market, what software technologies to make them meet consumers needs. This includes leading Samsung's primary groups and strategy for:
- Knowledge, machine learning, sentiment analysis and probabilistic reasoning for context, analytics and natural language interactions;
- Privacy technologies to protect user data such as for IoT and location-based services
- Semantic technologies to allow media to be linked and content discovery
- Platforms for efficient media delivery over the internet and N-Screen solutions, including working with TV service providers on delivery of content to CE platforms. From January 2010 to Present (6 years) Sr. Director, Head of Connected Consumer Technologies (IoT, SmartTV, Media, Smart Home) @ - Hired to lead the creation of Samsung's software R&D in Silicon Valley focused around the connected consumer and intelligent home.
- Led Samsung's drive towards connected devices culminating in our first IoT devices in 2007 (now 100's of millions of devices) as well as an ecosystem of devices for content sharing that topped 3 billion devices in 2014.
- Instigated and drove the creation of smart TV technologies that include the world's 1st second-screen/ACR solution, content recommendation, personalized targeted advertising solutions, N-screen solutions with TV service providers and many convergence scenarios around our devices being seamlessly connected through the cloud.
- Drove strategy for high performance web/HTML5 platforms to bridge native/browser features/performance for webapp ecosystems. Resulted in Samsung's leadership in Tizen's mobile browser platform acceleration for HTML5. From 2003 to 2009 (6 years) Senior Member of Technical Staff @ Early work on connected devices and highly scalable cloud computing systems.
My work here focused around:
- Led the creation of pervasive computing technologies for HP's mobile personal products
- Contextual computing for mobile devices
- Utility computing, system software for what we call today 'cloud computing'
- Next-generation distributed Java virtual machines for pervasive computing and mobile devices
- System software reliability for high-end servers From 1999 to 2002 (3 years) Principal Engineer @ Connected Device R&D for Sony Electronics based in Belgium. My work here focused around:
- Led the creation of the first Java-powered TVs within Sony. Productization in WEGA DTV and the first public demonstration of Java powered TV at IFA'99.
- Created Sony's MediaCaster DTV head-end product in Europe (first datacasting server)
- Created high-performance distributed embedded operating systems for Sony's products From January 1996 to September 1999 (3 years 9 months) BelgiumConsultant @ 1st Clean room implementation of the standard Java libraries for the Kaffe Open Source Virtual Machine From 1996 to 1996 (less than a year)
Alan Ph.D. is skilled in: Software Technology Leadership, External Promotion and Influencing, Organizational Development, Mobile Software Platforms, Cloud and Device Convergence, New Business Development, R&D, Leadership, Internet TV, Smart TV, Cloud Computing, Product Development, Digital Convergence, Interactive TV, Web TV
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension