Principal Consultant @ IBM Business Consulting Services
Supervisor of Engineering Education @ GE Defense Systems Division
M. Engineering, Computer and Systems Engineering @
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
I have over 20 years of experience as an operations manager, planning manager, engineer, and engineering manager and over 8 years of consulting experience as a supply chain process improvement expert. I have broad electronics, industrial, defense, and consumer products industry experience as a consultant, individual contributor, and manager. This experience encompasses product engineering/new product development, manufacturing/conversion
I have over 20 years of experience as an operations manager, planning manager, engineer, and engineering manager and over 8 years of consulting experience as a supply chain process improvement expert. I have broad electronics, industrial, defense, and consumer products industry experience as a consultant, individual contributor, and manager. This experience encompasses product engineering/new product development, manufacturing/conversion operations, planning and scheduling, after-sales service, maintenance management, and software selection.
Director, Supply Chain Planning @ Beech-Nut is the second largest baby food manufacturer serving grocery and retail customers.
Lead a team that is responsible for all aspects of supply chain planning: Sales and Operations Planning, demand planning, supply planning, and materials planning.
• Lead the annual and monthly development of demand and supply plans through the demand planning, supply planning and S&OP processes.
• Develop and implement strategic and tactical plans to effectively manage manufacturing capacity, production plans, and inventory to fulfill sales demand, meet customer service metrics and optimize cost. From September 2014 to Present (1 year 4 months) Supply Chain Planning Manager @ Welch's is a $600MM+ food and beverage company serving grocery and retail customers.
• Responsible for world wide product planning and availability for 90%+ of all Welch’s products
• Lead the supply side analysis of the monthly S&OP process, orchestrating short and long term capacity analyses, production planning, inventory planning, materials availability analyses, and warehousing/distribution analyses.
• Manage the master scheduling process, realizing over 99% fill rates across the Welch’s product portfolio. From January 2012 to October 2014 (2 years 10 months) Supply Chain Planning Manager (Strategy) @ • Developed the structure of and managed the Program Management Office (PMO) for the $35MM supply chain savings portion of the Welch’s strategic plan.
• With the PMO overseeing program progress, identifying issues, and facilitating obstacle/issue resolution, exceeded the strategic plan savings targets by 30% over the first 2 years of the 5 year program. From February 2010 to December 2011 (1 year 11 months) Supply Chain Planning Manager @ • Developed and implemented a multi-plant rhythm cycle based planning process with defined target inventory levels for major product lines.
• Implementation resulted in a 25% increase in inventory turns while improving product availability.
• Served as the coordinator between the supply chain and other corporate functions. From August 2008 to February 2010 (1 year 7 months) Operations Business Manager @ • Served as liaison and coordinator between 5 company-owned plant operations across the United States and corporate Sales, Marketing, R&D, and Supply Chain organizations.
• These efforts included long term capacity management, new product introduction coordination, supply chain planning, and promotional program coordination. From October 2005 to August 2008 (2 years 11 months) Principal Consultant @ Managed and conducted a wide variety of process improvement engagements in Supply Chain Management, including:
• Lean Manufacturing Team Lead – Led a 5 person team implementing lean manufacturing in a $100+ million Engineer-to-Order electrical equipment plant of a Fortune 100 company. Realized 40% cycle time reduction, 50% WIP reduction, and 10% productivity improvement.
• Supply Chain Process Improvement Assessment and Design – For a $750+ million Consumer Products company, conducted a supply chain assessment of existing processes (using industry benchmarks), identified gaps, and evaluated and prioritized alternatives for closing the gaps given the impending Oracle ERP implementation. Managed the Oracle supply chain team through the process design activity.
• Supply Chain Strategy – For a multi-billion dollar semiconductor company, led the supply chain management team through an assessment of existing processes (using industry benchmarks), identified gaps, and evaluated and prioritized alternatives for closing the gaps. From October 2002 to October 2005 (3 years 1 month) Senior Associate @ Managed and conducted a wide variety of process improvement engagements in Supply Chain Management, including:
• Asset/Maintenance Management Team Lead - Conducted a maintenance process restructuring for a $100 million secondary aluminum plant. Successfully led a team through initiation of a work planning process and Total Productive Maintenance (TPM) program. Resulted in a 20%+ increase in Overall Equipment Effectiveness metrics during 6 month period.
• Materials Management Team Lead - Led an inventory control process improvement engagement at a $500 million fabless semiconductor company. Led a 5 member joint team to execute a series of quick hit projects. Quick hit projects execution improved inventory accuracy from 40-50% to 70-80% in 2 months.
• Prospect to Order Process Improvement Team Lead - Led the four person Prospect to Order team on a profitability improvement engagement for a $350 million snow sports equipment and apparel manufacturer. Identified profitability improvement opportunities of $2-3 million from SKU/style reduction and vendor management improvement.
• Product Development Process Improvement Team Lead - Led a product realization process redesign at a $8 billion semiconductor division of a Fortune 50 company. Leading the joint eight person process and roles/responsibilities teams, conducted an As-Is analysis, identified triage projects for short-term relief, and developed concept designs for the process and roles/responsibilities. Developed and executed the Communications and Stakeholder Management plans. From October 1998 to October 2002 (4 years 1 month) Associate @ Conducted a number of process improvement engagements in Supply Chain Management, including:
• Lean Manufacturing - Restructured the operations flow and inventory control functions of a $100 million manufacturer of computerized point-of-sale terminals. Redesigned the order administration, scheduling, materials handling, and assembly processes, reducing cycle time by 60%.
• Lean Manufacturing - Restructured the fab production flow, quality assurance processes, and organization of a $1 billion thin-film head fabricator. Evaluated the components of cycle time and redesigned the production flow to reduce the cycle time by 50% while reducing WIP by greater than 50%. From August 1997 to September 1998 (1 year 2 months) Operations Manager @ • Managed the engineering, production, procurement, and service functions for a $4 million semiconductor failure analysis equipment product line.
• Redefined product Bills of Materials & initiated work order system, reducing production time by 10%.
• Tightened inventory control mechanisms, reducing active raw materials inventory by 25%. From January 1995 to May 1996 (1 year 5 months) Systems Engineer @ • Performed applications and product design engineering for semiconductor failure analysis equipment.
• Initiated customer contacts, identified customer requirements, wrote and priced proposals for product customization, coordinated hardware/software development, evaluated vendors and their products, and wrote user/service/QA documentation.
• Efforts contributed to increased system sales, 10% higher margins, and reduced warranty activities. From December 1993 to January 1995 (1 year 2 months) Manager of Space Products Marketing @ Marketed advanced materials capabilities/products to aerospace prime contractors. From April 1993 to December 1993 (9 months) Senior Systems Engineer @ • Led the systems engineering effort on the winning proposal for a highly competitive U.S. Army ballistics computation technology contract. Executed the preliminary requirements analysis, developed ballistics algorithms and system architecture, wrote critical technical sections, and formulated the systems engineering design-to-cost quotation.
• Managed the requirements analysis activities for the systems engineering team on a U.S. Army ballistics computation technology contract. Culminated in a System Requirements Review highly praised by the customer.
• Specified, designed, and tested the control electronics for a developmental electromechanical liquid propellant handling system as part of a development contract for a new howitzer design. System was operational ahead of schedule and on-budget. From August 1991 to April 1993 (1 year 9 months) Supervisor of Engineering Education @ • Supervised the Edison Engineering, Advanced Course in Engineering, and Engineering co-op programs.
• Responsible for recruiting and hiring new Edison Engineers from elite engineering schools
• Liaison between GE Pittsfield and Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and U. Mass.- Amherst. From January 1990 to July 1991 (1 year 7 months) Systems Engineer @ • Performed requirements analysis, system design, and other systems engineering tasks on US military programs.
• Developed innovative digital signal processing algorithms for a U.S. Navy sonar training system contract.
• Effective performance resulted in additional contract tasks being awarded and in the publication of "Simulation of Vessel Broadband Signatures for Sonar System Training" at the IEEE OCEANS '90 conference. From June 1988 to January 1990 (1 year 8 months) Edison Program Engineer @ • Three 8 month rotations – LAN Communications Specialist, Computer Applications (Software) Engineer, Systems Engineer
• Designed and coded real-time C language software for a U.S. Navy nuclear weapons training system. From August 1986 to May 1988 (1 year 10 months)
MBA, Operations Management/Management/Finance @ New York University, Stern School of Business From 1994 to 1997 M. Engineering, Computer and Systems Engineering @ Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute From 1986 to 1989 BS, Electrical Engineering @ Princeton University From 1982 to 1986 The Lawrenceville School Thomas Arnold is skilled in: Supply Chain Management, Process Improvement, Lean Manufacturing, Program Management, Supply Chain, ERP, Strategy, Product Development, Materials Management, Requirements Analysis, Strategic Planning, Analysis, Cross-functional Team Leadership, Procurement, P&L Management
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension