Masters, Global Policy Studies (MPP) @
The University of Texas at Austin
Senior Software Engineer and Architect with over 15 years of diverse experience in hardware and software product development (high-performance distributed systems, cloud architecture, test and measurement hardware systems, Point of Sales embedded systems, financial database analytics applications, data warehouse systems).Designed and developed many new technology products as an R&D Engineer at Fortune 500 corporations. Working knowledge of
Senior Software Engineer and Architect with over 15 years of diverse experience in hardware and software product development (high-performance distributed systems, cloud architecture, test and measurement hardware systems, Point of Sales embedded systems, financial database analytics applications, data warehouse systems).Designed and developed many new technology products as an R&D Engineer at Fortune 500 corporations. Working knowledge of modern cloud architectures and relevant open-source libraries and frameworks. Strong written and oral communications skills to effectively work with clients in both government and business.
Technical: R&D Software Development (10+ years), Cloud-based solutions, Data Analytics, Big Data Solutions, Strategic Technology Management, Languages (C++, C#, Java, SQL, Ruby, Python), Systems Development, Android Development, Cloud architecture, software and systems security
Business: Data Analysis and Presentation, Project Management, Program Design & Management, White Papers, Cost-Benefit Analysis, Smart Grid Technologies, Client Relations
Senior Software Architect (Specialist Senior Consultant) @ Design and analysis of next-generation tax processing systems and enterprise architecture for the Internal Revenue Service. Provide consulting services to IRS Chief Engineer responsible for modernizing legacy infrastructure.
* Document findings, draft white-papers and share with internal and external stakeholders
* Collaborate with the prototype development team implementing pieces of the modernized system
* Lead IRS Task Force responsible for designing and developing an IRS-wide “Big-Data” warehouse
system based on the EMC Greenplum data analytics platform. Developed conceptual architecture and Agile project plan of execution
* Guide the planning process and help create a comprehensive release plan for the modernization effort From January 2014 to Present (2 years) Washington D.C. Metro AreaTechnology Solutions Consultant @ Client: Point of Sales Manufacturer
Designed and developed RESTful web-application services for Point of Sale enterprise systems. Utilized C#/.NET Framework 3.5 to architect system components. Other system characteristics include SQL Server, MS Internet Information Services, E-Payment Gateways, distributed client-server systems, and system security considerations.
Client: A Large financial services firm.
Worked with a team of Analysts to manage and implement Counterparty Credit Risk Data integration project.
* Business Process Analysis and Design
* Data Integration Services
* Project Management
Client: Open Source Software Market leader
Developed advanced communications technology to be used by the four largest U.S.freight rail carriers. Software development of message-based, distributed Positive Train Control
technology and information network consisting of thousands of distributed nodes – locomotives,
stations, communication modules, back-offices, and inter-company wide area networks (WANs). From October 2011 to December 2013 (2 years 3 months) Washington D.C. Metro AreaEngineer Analyst (Technical Consultant) @ Client: U.S. Department of Energy
Provided strategic technology management consulting services to the Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy’s Advanced Manufacturing Office of the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE). Key responsibilities and activities included strategic planning and analysis, data analytics and analytical tools development, technology architecture roadmapping, and program execution.
Technology Architecture Roadmapping
o Applied trends in new technological development and research to evaluate new technologies and
inform technology deployment strategies for the DOE.
o Supported DOE technology R&D office through evaluation of small business innovation grants
(SBIR) based on impact of emerging technologies in the marketplace.
o Designed and developed analytical tools for analysis of supply chain energy use for DOE
industrial clients. Utilized advanced economic input-output models (data analytics).
Strategic Planning and Data Analysis
o Performed a number of technical and economic analyses while utilizing advanced modeling skills
in Excel – e.g., energy-intensity analysis for commercial and industrial sectors utilizing research
and data from Energy Information Administration (EIA), U.S. Census, and other government
sources; risk-based financial modeling (ROI, payback) and analysis of energy efficiency projects.
o Performed energy use intensity analysis for commercial and industrial sectors utilizing research and data from Energy Information Administration (EIA), U.S. Census, and other sources From April 2010 to October 2011 (1 year 7 months) Washington D.C. Metro AreaGraduate Researcher and Technology Consultant @ Performed data analysis, research and technology project consulting while doing graduate policy research studies.
Healthcare Technology Consultant
Defined requirements for patient data management system for a healthcare technology provider and demonstrated results to a group of medical practitioners. Designed and developed front-end UI and backend database systems and coordinated project delivery with technical staff and managers.
Researcher, Congressional Research Service
Our team compiled data and wrote a 250-page professional research report on U.S. technology
competitiveness in the 21st century. Created and managed project schedule, tracked weekly and monthly milestones, and provided periodic updates to the client.
Research Assistant, Technology Innovation Research Project
Gathered complex data from multiple web sources for a project on price determinants of high-technology products. Wrote scripts to automate web-crawling, data scraping, data cleansing, and analysis of raw data. From August 2007 to December 2009 (2 years 5 months) Austin, Texas AreaSoftware Engineer III @ Projects Delivered:
• Designed and developed C++ financial, economic and market data applications for investment banking and financial data analysis. Applications utilized cloud-computing architecture while leveraging terabytes of data from hundreds of third-party databases. From October 2005 to June 2007 (1 year 9 months) Staff Software Engineer @ Designed and developed innovative test and measurement, industrial automation instruments and technology products. Managed projects through Agile software development life-cycle processes.
• LabView Development Application (versions 4.0, 5.0, 5.1, 6.0, 6.1, 7.0, 7.1, 8.0)
• National Instruments Data Acquisition Software (versions 4, 4.9, 5.0, 5.1, 6.0, 6.5, 7.0, 7.5, 8.0)
• Real-Time industrial automation and control devices (LabVIEW Real-Time)
• Global Positioning System (GPS)-based advanced devices – PCI-6601, PCI-6602, PCI/PXI-6608
• Advanced USB and Firewire (IEEE 1394) measurement devices
• Advanced Signal Conditioning Instrumentation SCXI devices
• Testing and release of many other instrumentation products From October 1997 to October 2005 (8 years 1 month)
Master’s Degree, Computer Science @ Georgia Institute of Technology From 2014 to 2016 Masters, Global Policy Studies (MPP) @ The University of Texas at Austin From 2007 to 2009 Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Electrical Engineering @ The University of Texas at Austin From 1993 to 1997 General Certificate of Education, Advanced Levels @ University of Cambridge From 1991 to 1993 Muhammad Zafar is skilled in: Software Development, Mobile Technology, Program Management, Project Management, Analysis, Business Analysis, Risk Management, Management Consulting, Policy, Report Writing, Integration, Performance Management, Smart Grid, Information Technology, Renewable Energy
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension