Chief Financial Officer @ Honnen Equipment Company
Chief Financial Officer @ Power Equipment Company
Vice President, Finance @ Boral Construction Materials
Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, Accounting/Finance @
WESTERN NEW ENGLAND UNIVERSITY
VALUE ADDING FINANCE & OPERATIONS EXECUTIVE offering an array of successful experience across the entire business ecosystem. Creates value through inclusive leadership, fostering cross-functional team cooperation, and effectively articulating the benefits of change. Contributes to top line growth through targeted due diligence of mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures. Adds to the bottom line through data-driven system/process analysis and
VALUE ADDING FINANCE & OPERATIONS EXECUTIVE offering an array of successful experience across the entire business ecosystem. Creates value through inclusive leadership, fostering cross-functional team cooperation, and effectively articulating the benefits of change. Contributes to top line growth through targeted due diligence of mergers, acquisitions, and divestitures. Adds to the bottom line through data-driven system/process analysis and profitable solutions. Seeking to drive rapid growth of high potential enterprise on “C-level” through world-class financial and operational leadership.
-Cross-Functional Team Leadership
-Banking & Vendor Relations
-Platform & Executive Presentation Skills
-Real Estate Management
-GAAP & IFRS Compliance
-Budgeting & Forecasting
MERGERS, ACQUISITIONS, DIVESTITURES
Chief Financial Officer @ Colorado-based Honnen Equipment was one of John Deere's Construction & Forestry first authorized dealers. With 10 locations across Colorado, Wyoming, Utah and southern Idaho, Honnen Equipment is the Rocky Mountain Region's largest and oldest John Deere C&F dealer. Honnen Equipment also offers sales, service, parts and rentals of Wirtgen, Vogele, Hamm, Manitowoc, Grove, Hitachi, Lull & JLG construction products. From 2013 to Present (2 years) Chief Financial Officer @ PECO is a heavy construction and aggregate mining equipment dealership with over $100M in annual revenue, representing Volvo, Hitachi, Bomag, Terex/Cedarapids, Lippmann, Superior, and other equipment manufacturers.
• Led a team of 5 direct and 15 indirect reports for 6 dealer branches in the primary leadership role for accounting and financial management of this $100M business - financial planning and forecasting, general ledger accounting, treasury oversight, information systems, and all activities relevant to legal, insurance, real estate, and human resources.
• Reduced per-mechanic work order time cycle by 27%, boosted invoicing time cycle by 33%, and increased per-mechanic service revenues through implementation of Six Sigma process improvements.
• Chose 1 banking vendor from the existing 6 by providing the opportunity for each to garner all PEC’s banking business. Result was a 53% improvement in financing costs and an annual savings of $150K in renegotiated asset-based lending agreements, equipment floor plan financing, and business-expense credit card usage.
• Cut company fleet costs by 17% (200 vehicles) by allowing manufacturers and dealers to bid on providing vehicles for the entire company and leveraging the selected manufacturer’s light-duty fleet vehicle purchasing program. From 2012 to 2013 (1 year) Vice President, Finance @ The USA division of Boral Limited (Australia) has approximately 2300 employees and manufactures clay bricks, concrete and clay roof tiles, manufactured stone veneer for residential and mid-rise commercial buildings and has a construction materials and fly ash business.
• Promoted within one year to oversee all financial operations; leading a team of 5 direct and 12 indirect reports for 2 major divisions consisting of 27 plants generating $200M in annual revenue.
• Reduced annual operating costs by $250K and improved accuracy of financial data by leading the transition to a shared services environment (Oracle based) for all financial transactions and reporting.
• Increased bottom-line performance through key cost improvement initiatives across all product lines, improving EBIT by $12.8M:
-Implemented a data driven, automated central dispatching system replacing a “zone” (three dispatch mangers with 5 plants each) method. The new system reduced dispatched roundtrips by 3 miles, generating a $.90 per concrete yard (cyd) cost savings, for an annualized total of $450K. Savings were realized in labor, fuel, and fleet-maintenance costs.
-Generated $625K in annual cost savings - $1.25 per cost per concrete yard (cyd) - in the Oklahoma 15 plant network by reducing the number of mix designs from approximately 400 to 60. The new system allowed any plant in the system to produce any mix specification required.
• Delivered executive-level guidance in areas of strategic plan development, acquisition analysis, and operations / control enhancement opportunities. (addendum available)
• Served as key liaison to potential buyers during an attempted divestiture of the construction materials division, generating 2 substantial offers for purchase. (addendums available) From 2008 to 2012 (4 years) Chief Financial Officer - Oklahoma Division @ Chief Financial Officer: Boral Construction Materials, Oklahoma Division, 2007 – 2008
• Led a team of 7 in management of treasury, credit, AR/AP, capital expenditures, and acquisition due-diligence.
• Secured $1M in annual cost savings by converting 15 plants to Command Alkon software, streamlining production, transportation, and dispatch operations.
• Planned and spearheaded the integration of the Oklahoma business acquisition to Boral corporate standards. From 2007 to 2008 (1 year) Chief Financial Officer - Masonry Division @ Rogers Group is the largest privately held, vertically integrated producer of crushed stone, sand, gravel, asphalt, highway construction, and masonry block products in the US, with over $500M in annual revenue.
• Directed all financial operations for 3 masonary-block manufacturing facilities, assuring appropriate balance between production volume and customer demand.
• Reduced production lead times 66% (from 6 weeks to 2) through implementation of a new production planning system across multiple manufacturing sites. From 2006 to 2007 (1 year) Division Controller @ • Led all aspects of financial operations as manager of 8-person accounting team and 40 field office clerks.
• Improved production capability 16% with minimal capital investment by analyzing aggregate production throughput, identifying bottleneck challenges, and initiating Six Sigma-based solutions. From 2000 to 2006 (6 years) Area Controller @ • Oversaw financial operations and endured compliance with GAAP requirements. Led oversight of project accounting including inventory, credit and accounts payable / receivable, and fixed asset management. From 1999 to 2000 (1 year) Vice President, Finance @ Private equity backed off-shore manufacturer of men’s & ladies corporate apparel generating $45M of revenue annually. From 1997 to 1999 (2 years) Vice President, Finance and Administration @ Privately held distributor of men’s & ladies golf apparel and headwear. Sourced products globally, selling$75M of products through pro golf outlets. From 1996 to 1997 (1 year) Controller @ $300M Scottish manufacturer of cashmere apparel. Wholesaled to high-end USA retail stores and company owned retail locations. From 1990 to 1996 (6 years) Accounting Manager @ $500M privately held apparel designer and distributor, sourcing globally and selling through direct mail catalog & company owned retail locations. From 1987 to 1990 (3 years) Accounting Manager. Budget Manager, Budget Analyst @ $1.1B publically held distributor of men’s, ladies & children’s footwear, sourcing globally and selling through 2,000+ K-mart retail stores. From 1982 to 1987 (5 years)
Master of Business Administration, Finance @ UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE From 1998 to 2000 Bachelor of Science, Business Administration, Accounting/Finance @ WESTERN NEW ENGLAND UNIVERSITY From 1978 to 1982 Mike De Martin is skilled in: Process Improvement, Forecasting, Financial Reporting, Operations Management, Accounting, Turnaround and Change Management, Safety Management, Cash Flow Management, Strategic Planning, Cash Flow, Managerial Finance, Purchasing, Budgets, Sales, Negotiation
Looking for a different
Mike De Martin?
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension