Manpreet began his entrepreneurial career with a social networking start-up called Desi Vibes, which he ran with his brother Gurpreet throughout high school. He then went on to focus on investments as Employee #1 at Profit Investment Management, a DC-based firm whose $20 million-worth of assets he helped grow by 100x via stints in trading, marketing, research,
Manpreet began his entrepreneurial career with a social networking start-up called Desi Vibes, which he ran with his brother Gurpreet throughout high school. He then went on to focus on investments as Employee #1 at Profit Investment Management, a DC-based firm whose $20 million-worth of assets he helped grow by 100x via stints in trading, marketing, research, investing, and operations.
In 2006, Singh became one of the youngest CFA charter holders in the world and was profiled by CFA magazine as its “Most Ambitious” member. He has also been quoted and published numerous times by Bloomberg, Washington Post, Forbes, and other media.
Today, Manpreet is President & Co-founder of TalkLocal, a local search marketplace that connects consumers to the right local service providers by phone in about 90 seconds. TalkLocal has raised more than $4 million in venture funding and launched in over 50 major cities to date.
Manpreet's philanthropic activity include roles as a director of the LaKan foundation, a charter member of TiE DC, and a member of Summit Series since 2009.
Manpreet received his MBA from the Wharton School of Business in Entrepreneurship, Finance and Real Estate. He also holds a B.S. in Finance with a citation in Entrepreneurship from the University of Maryland, College Park.
President and Co-Founder @ TalkLocal is a local services marketplace that quickly connects consumers with local companies over the phone. TalkLocal prides itself on connecting consumers to the "right" professional by using online ratings, reviews, social reputation and interaction, call analytics, and other consumer feedback. From 2011 to Present (4 years) College Park, MDSr. Equity Analyst @ Profit Investments is an investment management firm which Manpreet joined as Employee #1. Back then, the firm managed approximately $20 million in assets. He moved from Research Associate (2000-2004) to Analyst (2004-2006) before being promoted to Sr. Equity Analyst, and Manpreet accomplished the following:
- Covered technology and telecom positions in $2+ billion domestic equities portfolio (large-cap, mid- cap, small-cap and hedge fund) representing 40% of AUM
- Was quoted extensively in financial press (TheStreet.com, Bloomberg, CFA Magazine, etc.) as an industry expert
- Led marketing and client service efforts
- Recommended investments in consumer discretionary, healthcare, telecommunications, and technology sectors
- Valued companies using a growth-at-a-reasonable-price methodology and employed dividend discount models, price multiple models, and discounted cash flow analysis
- Developed, back-tested, and marketed a small-cap product funded by State Universities Retirement System of Illinois
- Served as generalist, recommending investments in healthcare, telecom, technology, energy, and consumer sectors
- Prepared RFPs, questionnaires, and surveys for investment consultants, pension plans, and online databases
- Performed trading processes: submitting trades to brokers, completing allocation executed orders, clearing and reporting From September 2000 to 2012 (12 years) Washington D.C. Metro AreaInvestment Analysts Intern @ Stark Investments is a major hedge fund located in the Midwest that managed in excess of $15 billion for clients worldwide. Responsibilities while there included:
- Managing the firm's Long Short Equity Portfolio and recommended investments in the technology and telecom sectors
- Developing different models to estimate earnings, surprises and misses that accurately predicted stock movement
- Evaluating alternative research sources to extract the most useful information. Manpreet used this knowledge to research the Chinese internet market and present top long and short ideas for the next 18 months
- Recommending tools and structural changes to long/short equity team to improve speed, quality and monitoring of information flow between analysts and portfolio managers From June 2008 to August 2008 (3 months) Founder @ Desi Vibes, co-founded by Manpreet, was a nationwide popular social networking portal for South Asian Americans. He did the following:
- Managed and trained the marketing salesforce
- Increased brand awareness among South Asian-Americans
- Raised unique web site hits from 25,000/month to 250,000/month in one year period
- Increased advertising revenues 30 fold over a twelve-month period
- Diversified revenue sources using ad rotation systems, ticket selling revenues, event sponsoring and our Club Pass product From June 1998 to June 2001 (3 years 1 month)
MBA, Finance, Real Estate and Entrepreneurial Management @ University of Pennsylvania - The Wharton School From 2007 to 2009 CFA, Finance @ CFA Institute From 2005 to 2005 BS, Finance and Citation in Entrepreneurship @ University of Maryland College Park From 2001 to 2003 Manpreet Singh is skilled in: Investments, Investment Management, Hedge Funds, Equities, Portfolio Management, Asset Managment, Bloomberg, Start-ups, Entrepreneurship, Mutual Funds, Venture Capital, Trading, Financial Modeling, Private Equity, Valuation, Business Strategy, Asset Management, Strategy, Telecommunications, Local Search, Real Estate, Mergers & Acquisitions, Social Networking, Due Diligence, Alternative Investments, Marketing, Corporate Development, Corporate Finance, Management, Emerging Markets, Analytics, Equity Research, Investment Banking, Executive Management, Finance, Financial Analysis, Strategic Partnerships