Director, Human Resources - CHB Operations and Global Talent Management @ Ascend Performance Materials
VP – HR & Organizational Development – NAFTA Region @ Nufarm Americas Inc.
Vice President, HR & Organizational Development, US @ Nufarm Americas Inc.
Master of Arts, Leadership, Administration, and Supervision @
Montclair State University
Strategic Human Resources Leader motivated by business challenges, and passionate about helping people and organizations reach their full potential. A strategic thinker and collaborative business partner with experience in fast-paced environments. Builds relationships and influence at all levels, obtaining results through initiative, interpersonal communication and mutual respect. Demonstrated ability to lead change in turn-around and start-up efforts.
Strategic Human Resources Leader motivated by business challenges, and passionate about helping people and organizations reach their full potential. A strategic thinker and collaborative business partner with experience in fast-paced environments. Builds relationships and influence at all levels, obtaining results through initiative, interpersonal communication and mutual respect. Demonstrated ability to lead change in turn-around and start-up efforts. Experience with all Human Resources Management functional areas, offering expertise in:
• People & Organizational Development
• Global Project Leadership
• Performance Management
• Compensation & Benefits; Expat Packages
• Change Management
• Labor & Employee Relations
• Talent Acquisition & Management
• M&A Due Diligence and Integration
VP – HR & Organizational Development – NAFTA Region @ Promoted by the President / GM to lead HR and Organizational Development for Chemistry business and support regional Seed business. Led staff of 5, supporting 500 employees in headquarters, laboratories, research stations, field offices, and manufacturing sites. Significant fiduciary and budget responsibility.
• Executive team member, successfully leading business recovery with revised strategy from 2010 to 2013. Drove restructuring efforts to achieve timeline, savings, and effective implementation.
• Designed and implemented Performance Incentive Plan in NAFTA region, driving organizational effort and behavior to achieve margin and profit. Changed culture to focus on margin, not revenue.
• Led global project, region/country HR and business advisory teams to design and implement a global Performance Management & Development Planning strategy and process for Nufarm. Translated into 15 languages across the $2.5B global enterprise comprised of 3,000 employees, and established it as the common platform around the globe today for performance and development.
• Recruited top talent for executive positions throughout the region, including General Management (Canada, Mexico & Global), Marketing, Strategic Planning, Operations, Legal, Finance and Sales.
• Positioned culture change as a key strategic imperative, obtained buy in at regional and global level for “Disciplined, Decisive, Diverse, and Driven Teams”. Engaged over 50% of employees in defining current and future culture and developed implementation plan to drive success and positive change.
• Led HR team to support fast track acquisitions and collaborative work to integrate commercial teams in innovative marketing business arrangement. From 2011 to 2014 (3 years) Greater Chicago AreaVice President, HR & Organizational Development, US @ Promoted by President and GM to recognize effort and results delivered to build the HR and Organizational Development function and drive a performance driven culture for US business. Managed staff of 3, supporting 200 employees in regional head office, formulation laboratory, field office and a manufacturing facility. Significant fiduciary and budget responsibility.
• Led business through several organizational changes, positioning the company for future growth, including integration of several, significant acquisitions. Resulted in addition of high margin product lines to chemistry business and key seed/seed technology businesses as well as influx of top talent in key areas such as Sales, R&D, General Management and Business Development.
• Designed and implemented performance management strategy and process for the NAFTA region, resulting in a common regional platform that was soon expanded for global adoption. From 2009 to 2011 (2 years) Greater Chicago AreaHuman Resources & Organizational Development Manager @ Recruited by President and CFO to build the HR and Organizational Development function for US business from the ground up. Managed staff of 2, supporting 200 employees in regional head office, formulation laboratory, field office and a manufacturing facility. Significant fiduciary and budget responsibility.
• Led HR team to identify compliance gaps in Benefits and Employment area. Successfully avoided fees / fines with DOL and IRS.
• Led HR team to enhance benefit offerings and overall strategy to increase employee satisfaction and position offerings as a competitive advantage. Included premium 401k match, and enhanced medical coverage, resulting in improved retention and attraction of talent. From 2007 to 2009 (2 years) Greater Chicago AreaRegional Human Resources Manager – US Operations @ Promoted to HR business partner for 7 non-union and 3 union manufacturing facilities in the US for the North America Inks division. Managed staff of 2, supporting 600 employees.
• HR team leader for due diligence and integration activities for two key acquisitions. Effectively bolstered market presence in high value segments.
• HR lead on nationwide consolidation and cost reduction project that generated $8M in cost savings. Streamlined business model with site closures and restructuring.
• As chief spokesperson, successfully negotiated and settled collective bargaining agreements prior to expiration and without work stoppages under stringent economic conditions.
• Led successful union decertification campaign in 2005. Partnered with Operations and Legal team to develop and implement company strategy. From 2003 to 2007 (4 years) Greater Chicago AreaHuman Resources Manager – Technology/R&D @ Promoted to HR business partner for US Technology Group comprised of headquarters R&D facility in NJ and Technical Support laboratories in NC, NJ and IL. Managed staff of 2, supporting 200 employees.
• Designed and implemented a competency-based performance enhancement process. Contributed to a 20% increase in sales, and 15% reduction in cycle time for commercialization.
• Developed and implemented staffing strategy to support technology objectives. Filled talent pipeline with versatile candidates for high priority projects.
• Worked with technical directors and Legal to streamline internal immigration processes. Reduced backlog of outstanding researcher petitions by 50% over an 18 month period. From 2000 to 2003 (3 years) Greater New York City AreaHuman Resources Manager – Manufacturing @ Promoted to HR business partner for 3 unionized manufacturing facilities in NY Metro area. Managed 1 EH&S professional and 1 HR Assistant in support of approximately 250 employees.
• Utilized team-based approach to design and implement safety programs and policies which contributed to a 25% reduction of Lost Time Accidents in 2 years.
• Partnered with DOL to reduce recruitment costs and generate $50k for new employee training.
• Resolved all labor/contract grievances without Arbitration. Reduced grievances 75% in 3 months. From 1997 to 2000 (3 years) Greater New York City AreaHuman Resources Assistant – Corporate @ From 1995 to 1997 (2 years) Greater New York City Area
Mini-MBA, Executive Education @ Loyola University Chicago From 2011 to 2011 Master of Arts, Leadership, Administration, and Supervision, 3.9 @ Montclair State University From 1995 to 1998 Bachelor of Science, Finance, 3.0 @ Canisius College From 1990 to 1994 Lou Gerona is skilled in: Organizational..., Strategic Planning, Human Resources, Management, Performance Management, Strategy, Negotiation, Team Building, Change Management, Talent Acquisition, Agribusiness, Succession Planning, Process Improvement, Talent Management, Market Development, Business Planning, Recruiting, Mergers & Acquisitions, Labor Relations, Total Rewards Strategies, Global Mobility, Executive Coaching, Coaching, Collective Bargaining, People Development, People Management, Fleet Management, Travel Management, Benefits Design, Workplace Safety, Compensation & Benefits, Leading Meetings, Public Speaking, Corporate Communications, Interviews, International Business, Leadership, Communication, Business Development, People Skills, Hiring, Employee Benefits, Supervisory Skills
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension