Head of Group Financial Planning & Analysis @
Senior Management Accountant – Financial Planning and Analysis @
3i Group plc
Bachelor of Science - BS @
University of Bath
During my career I spent nine years working for 3i, a FTSE 100 listed international private equity firm and five years at Markit, a high growth entrepreneurial financial information, managed service and software business, which has doubled revenue and EBITDA during the five years I have worked there. In June 2014, Markit listed on NASDAQ, raising $1.3
During my career I spent nine years working for 3i, a FTSE 100 listed international private equity firm and five years at Markit, a high growth entrepreneurial financial information, managed service and software business, which has doubled revenue and EBITDA during the five years I have worked there. In June 2014, Markit listed on NASDAQ, raising $1.3 billion for existing shareholders valuing the company at almost $5 billion.
Some of the key highlights of my experience and career include:
• A lead member of Markit’s highly successful IPO deal team;
• Led 3i’s Group Reporting and Accounting team during a £700 million rights issue completing the year end to an accelerated time table (second fastest results announcement in FTSE 100);
• À broad range of management experience including developing and leading Group Financial Planning and Analysis, Group Reporting and Accounting and divisional business partnering teams within multinational companies;
• Systems design and implementation experience (SAP BPC);
• Built and recruited Markit’s Financial Planning & Analysis team from a standing start;
• Outsourcing of financial processes to offshore shared service centres;
• Corporate finance experience including lead finance member of Markit’s acquisition due diligence team.
Director of Group and Divisional Financial Planning & Analysis @ Key Responsibilities
• Group Financial Planning & Analysis role expanded to include development of Divisional Business Partnering function and become member of Corporate Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A) team.
• Responsible for the global annual budget and monthly forecast process across 120 profit/cost centres across Europe, US and Asia. I am responsible for leading all budget review meetings with CFO and CEO and preparing all Board materials.
• Lead and manage production of annual and quarterly results announcement for NASDAQ listed business including CFO presentation and annual report.
• Member of Corporate M&A team, which involved completing due diligence on target companies, attending meetings with target company CEO/CFO and running valuation models.
• Responsible for sign-off of Group Management Accounts for presentation to Board.
• Responsible for establishment of Group Management Information function. Team established in Noida, India.
• Responsible for the development of divisional specific key performance indicators and dashboard reporting.
• Lead review with Heads of Divisional FP&A on key financial initiatives including restructuring projects.
• Lead member of Markit’s IPO deal team, which involved designing prospectus, defining appropriate key performance indicators, acting as an investor relations team and owning the analyst model.
• Recruited and developed Divisional Heads of FP&A. Team based in London, New York, Dallas and Colorado.
• Re-designed planning processes to include divisional led strategic planning, monthly forecasting and identification of risks and opportunities.
• Developed project profitability planning and client profitability reporting to focus website design business on delivering profitability projects and to encourage Sales team to re-engage with profitable clients. From January 2012 to Present (3 years 10 months) London, United KingdomDirector, Group Financial Planning & Analysis @ Key responsibilities
Director, Group Financial Planning & Analysis
• Recruited to develop Group FP&A function and processes from standing start.
• Responsible for identifying and leading implementation of financial systems.
• Responsible for the global budget and forecast process across 120 profit/cost centres across Europe, US and Asia.
• Responsible for developing all Group level Board and Executive Committee level reporting.
• Responsible for signing off of Group Management Accounts.
• Responsible for presenting monthly results to global MD and Directors meetings.
• Recruited experienced and talented Group Financial Planning & Analysis team.
• Led global implementation of SAP Budgeting Planning & Consolidation tool. (SAP BPC) Delivered complex tool on budget and on time.
• Developed reporting to provide early warning mechanisms of potential business under-performance including daily revenue reporting and weekly EBITDA indicator reporting.
• Significantly enhanced quality of annual financial review and budget report for shareholders through enhancing depth of analysis provided and use of external report designers to provide the look and feel of a listed company report. From March 2010 to December 2011 (1 year 10 months) London, United KingdomHead of Group Reporting @ Key responsibilities
• Responsible for Group consolidated management accounts and Group management information.
• Responsible for interim and annual consolidated accounts and all notes and disclosures produced under IFRS.
• Produce annual and interim business review and shareholder results presentation.
• Responsible for production of 3i Group’s subsidiary accounts including its investment manager.
• Responsible for all regulatory reporting to the FSA.
• Managed highly skilled and experienced team of seven accountants including two senior accountants with over ten years PQE.
• Present quarterly statutory accounts to Board meeting chaired by 3i Group plc Chief Executive and attended by all members of Management Committee.
• Led meetings with auditors to agree complex accounting issues and signing off of accounts.
• Attend meetings with analysts and shareholders.
• Was key member of Global Finance project team, which set vision for future structure of 3i Finance.
• Redesigned management accounts moving the report to a forward-looking action orientated document.
• Outsourced low value-add processes and production of statutory accounts to reduce headcount and allow team to spend more time on higher value add work.
• Enhanced cost control environment through development of more frequent and in-depth operating expense reporting.
• Member of rights issue project team. Ensured delivery of annual report and accounts a week earlier than published time table and attended due diligence meetings with Finance Director.
• Finance lead during 25% headcount restructuring programme. From July 2007 to March 2010 (2 years 9 months) London, United KingdomSenior Management Accountant – Financial Planning and Analysis @ Key responsibilities
• Responsible for designing and running 3i global budgeting and forecasting process.
• Produced budget paper for submission to 3i Group plc Board.
• Responsible for production of monthly forecasts for Management Committee and the Board.
• Responsible for providing support to Head of Planning and Analysis during Group Vision Plan process as well as other adhoc projects.
• Key member of project team which developed new reporting model, which had objective of improving the underlying valuation of 3i Group plc.
• Introduced rolling operating expense forecast model to improve Board and Management Committee understanding of impact on cost base of significant growth initiatives.
• Launched and ran enhanced budget process, which included a fundamental resourcing review to benchmark 3i’s resources and costs with its competitors. The outputs from this process were used to restructure areas of the business.
• Built Monte Carlo model to analyse future cash flow variability, used by Finance Director to consider risks of proposed return of capital to shareholders From January 2005 to July 2007 (2 years 7 months) London, United KingdomSMI Operations Director @ Key responsibilities
• Role performed along side FPA role.
• Responsible for managing the SMI finance team. Managed team responsible for all financial processing and management information to the SMI team..
• Responsible for reviewing and approving portfolio company valuations at year-end.
• Worked with Managing Director to develop a business plan to re-launch the business as a secondary fund manager.
• Worked with Lehman’ Brothers corporate finance team to explore future business opportunities for team.
• Met with Finance Directors of competitors to benchmark resource efficiency of team. From January 2005 to July 2007 (2 years 7 months) London, United KingdomGroup FP&A and Management Information Team - Graduate Trainee @ I held a range of FP&A and Management roles I progressed through my CIMA training, From September 2001 to December 2004 (3 years 4 months) London/Birmingham
University of Bath From 1995 to 1999 Kelvin Barber is skilled in: Accounting, Corporate Finance, Due Diligence, Change Management, Financial Analysis, Finance, Financial Modeling, Financial Reporting, Investment Banking, Investments, Investor Relations, Managerial Finance, Mergers, Private Equity, Valuation, Venture Capital
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension