Senior Executive, Global Business Leader, and Advisor with a valuable blend of experience in startup, turnaround, M&A, and expansion environments, as well as with small to Fortune 50 corporations. Diverse experience spans healthcare products and services to include medical device, consumables, diagnostics, information systems and out-patient provider services across multiple locations. Provides transformational leadership, and builds strong
Senior Executive, Global Business Leader, and Advisor with a valuable blend of experience in startup, turnaround, M&A, and expansion environments, as well as with small to Fortune 50 corporations. Diverse experience spans healthcare products and services to include medical device, consumables, diagnostics, information systems and out-patient provider services across multiple locations. Provides transformational leadership, and builds strong external partnerships and works closely with boards of directors to ensure informed guidance in areas of organic and in-organic growth strategies, operational excellence, and mergers and acquisitions. Drives immediate and long-term business growth, defines/implements operational infrastructure, and creates greater shareholder value.
President & CEO @ National leader in the diagnosis, treatment and therapy of sleep and balance related health issues via out-patient services and the distribution of therapeutic medical devices (DME). From October 2015 to Present (3 months) Advisory Board Member @ From 2013 to Present (2 years) Greater Chicago AreaAdvisory Board Member @ From 2013 to Present (2 years) Greater Chicago AreaAdjunct Professor @ College of Management and Business: Leadership and Organizational Behavior From October 2013 to Present (2 years 3 months) Greater Chicago AreaPresident & CEO @ Spearheaded company's successful turnaround from loss to profitability while leading company to a successful exit event sale to ATI Physical Therapy.
• Recruited by private equity investors to define and drive turnaround, growth and exit strategy for the 3rd largest provider of multi-location and multi-state retail healthcare rehabilitation services in Midwest.
• Restructured organization, streamlined operations, and implemented operational efficiencies including new electronic medical records (EMR) technology, billing system, patient reminder system, HR system, standardized policies/procedures and performance metrics for clinical staff.
• Renegotiated more favorable vendor agreements, payer contracts, real estate leases, and sales compensation plans.
• Recruited clinicians and external partners; established key relationships with health systems, independent physicians and networks.
• Increased YOY net operating income by 90% and total revenue by 20% through execution of 3 prong plan that included organic, De Novo and lean initiatives. From November 2012 to October 2015 (3 years) President & CEO - Vidar Systems @ Positioned company for profitable exit and seamless integration to publicly traded 3-D Systems.
• Recruited by private equity investors (Ratos AB) to reverse negative growth trends and lead accelerated exit strategy.
• Launched global expansion strategy, including new channels and new product roadmap.
• Successfully released 3 new products in adjacent markets: Dental, Veterinary and NDT.
• Recognized by Dentistry Today for launching one of the Top 50 new dental technologies in the US for 2011. From 2011 to 2012 (1 year) Greater Chicago AreaPresident & CEO / COO - Criticare Systems & Unetixs Vascular @ • Recruited by India based firm as COO and promoted in 3 months to define strategic direction, lead operations and turn around $34M with $1.8M losses.
• Catapulted total revenue 300% ($155M) by driving 2 key bolt-on acquisitions: Cardiac Science and Unetixs Vascular; directed acquisition and integration process.
• Decreased COGS by consolidating supplier base, negotiating favorable vendor agreements, and utilizing off-shore manufacturing.
• Increased organic growth by 19% by signing new distribution agreements and slashing net losses from $1.8M to break even in first year. From 2009 to 2011 (2 years) General Manager - Diagnostic Cardiology Division (Executive Band) @ • Recruited to lead commercial operations for US hospital, primary care and CRO channels. Managed $140 million matrix P&L and 12 direct reports with 120-member sales, marketing, and operations team.
• Increased productivity and decreased costs by streamlining distribution partners from 167 to 51 and implementing CRM system.
• Saved $250K (10%) and strengthened customer relationships by transitioning to direct GE sales team model from indirect reps.
• Selected by CEO to lead “One GE” change management initiative; drove sales by bundling products through distributors. From January 2008 to December 2009 (2 years) Director of Sales & Marketing - Laboratory Solutions Division @ • Led commercial operations for diagnostics business unit; 9 direct reports and 470 reps. Managed $170 million matrix P&L.
• Propelled revenue 70% in 3 years to $170 million; defined growth strategy, tactical planning, and execution.
• Doubled instrument unit sales across 6 regions in 2nd year and increased sale rep productivity 70% through implementation of a formal sales process/product training program, accountability standards, marketing collateral and robust lab product offerings.
• Added 100+ products to the portfolio in 3 years, including McKesson private label consumables brand. From February 2005 to January 2008 (3 years) Richmond, Virginia AreaRegion Branch Manager - Medical/Surgical Division @ • Led 16 account representatives selling full line of medical supplies, equipment and pharmaceuticals to primary care and surgery center markets.
• Turned around $15M, 4-state region to over $26M within 3 years to achieve top region ranking status. From February 2002 to January 2005 (3 years) Greater Chicago AreaPrior Experience @ • Sales Management and Sales roles with Allscripts Healthcare Solution, Gambro Renal Intensive Care, Beckman Coulter, and Ginders Medical Supply. From 1990 to 2002 (12 years)
Certificate, Execution Leadership @ Cornell University From 2012 to 2012 M.S, Business Management @ National Louis University From 1994 to 1996 B.S., Sociology & Speech Communications @ Illinois State University From 1986 to 1990 Joseph LaPorta is skilled in: Medical Devices, Healthcare, P&L Management, Sales Force Effectiveness, New Business Development, Global Marketing, Product Development, Change Management, Team Building, Strategic Planning, Mergers, Process Improvement, Six Sigma, Start-ups, Private Equity
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension