Chief Financial Officer and Treasurer @ National Advisors Trust Company
Chief Financial Officer / Executive Director - Retirement Plan Services @ J.P. Morgan
Chief Financial Officer - Global Investment Management Technology and Operations @ J.P. Morgan
Chief Financial Officer @ From January 2014 to Present (1 year 10 months) Chief Financial Officer / Executive Director - Retirement Plan Services @ CFO for the country's 8th largest retirement plan record keeper, with 1,300+ personnel in multiple U.S. locations, generating $220+ million in annual revenues. Business results reflect annual margin improvements despite broader economic challenges.
Chief Financial Officer @ From January 2014 to Present (1 year 10 months) Chief Financial Officer / Executive Director - Retirement Plan Services @ CFO for the country's 8th largest retirement plan record keeper, with 1,300+ personnel in multiple U.S. locations, generating $220+ million in annual revenues. Business results reflect annual margin improvements despite broader economic challenges. Managed 13 direct reports in 2 locations, with another 15 indirect reports in five locations.
• Developed routine financial reporting and review processes to provide clarity of financial results and assign accountabilities to business executives, employees, and the broader J.P. Morgan Investment Management senior executives.
• Managed regular financial planning exercises to ensure alignment of objectives across the executive team with the firm’s long term objectives.
• Initiated various expense management projects that generated expense reductions of $8 million within '08, $13 million in '10, $9 million in 2011, and $5 million in 2012.
• Implemented a detailed project tracking process to ensure financial transparency on large and complex projects (ranging from $1 million to $32 million of spend), which ensured benefits valued at $24 million+ were achieved without cost overruns.
• Implemented client profitability reporting for our largest 200 institutional clients using driver-based cost allocation methodologies. Results generated 1,700+ action items to increase profits client by client, with projected $5 million in net income improvements.
• Re-designed new business pricing model and approach to ensure new clients will meet profit margin objectives, resulting in reduced break-even time for new business from 3 years to 1 year.
• Transitioned Finance team from a transaction oriented function to an analytically focused team that partnered with business executives to improve bottom line results, while absorbing increased analysis and reporting requirements, resulting in a decrease in Finance staff of 20%. From August 2007 to March 2013 (5 years 8 months) Overland Park, KSChief Financial Officer - Global Investment Management Technology and Operations @ CFO for the primary infrastructure function supporting J.P. Morgan's Global Investment Management business. Annual expense budget for the group exceeded $460mm, employing 2,700 personnel located in 10 cities globally, with annual technology investment spend exceeding $130mm. Managed a staff of 11 direct reports, with 10 indirect reports.
• Created, implemented, and maintained the Global Investment Management Technology and Operations (T&O) monthly financial management and reporting process allowing Investment Management executives to effectively prioritize $130 million of strategic technology investments, as well as provide T&O expense clarity to a heavily matrixed mix of internal clients, allowing for enhanced decision support for T&O initiatives.
• Secretary of the Global IM Technology Council which was the governing body for technology investment decisions.
• Devised and implemented a Total Cost of Ownership model reflecting costs for 350+ technology applications. Results were used to assign expense management accountability to application owners and to promote pro-active dialogue with business owners on demand management practices.
• Established pro-active communication and reporting processes with J.P. Morgan's corporate technology infrastructure partner to ensure clarity on $80 million of annual internal charges, resulting in expense reductions exceeding 10% annually. From July 2005 to August 2007 (2 years 2 months) Columbus, OH / New York, NYChief Financial Officer - Investment Services Group Technology and Operations @ CFO over the Bank One (B1) Investment Services Group’s infrastructure function. Annual expense budget for the group exceeded $110mm, employing 500 personnel. Managed 7 employees.
• Managed numerous exercises associated with the J.P. Morgan Chase and B1 merger; successfully integrating the financial management of $460 million in expense, and generating increased demand for transparent Global Investment Management T&O reporting.
• Represented Finance in business initiatives to re-align staffing and produce capacity for increased investment spend. Results are reflected in a support staff to IT developer staff ratio of 33% (compared to industry norm at the time of 60%). From December 2003 to July 2005 (1 year 8 months) Columbus, Ohio AreaChief Financial Officer - Corporate Trust and Institutional Services Group Operations @ CFO of the 3rd largest corporate trust provider in the U.S. with over $1 trillion in principles outstanding, annual revenues exceeding $150 million and pre-tax margins exceeding 50%, as well as the Investment Management national operations area employing over 370 employees with $50 million+ in annual spend.
• Integral leader related to all activities around the divestiture of the Corporate Trust business to J.P. Morgan Chase in November 2003.
• Accountable for managing the generation of the schedules needed for the offering memorandum which represented the business to potential suitors. From January 2002 to November 2003 (1 year 11 months) Columbus, Ohio Area
Bachelor of Science (B.S.), Finance, General @ Indiana University - Kelley School of Business From 1983 to 1986 Purdue University From 1982 to 1983 John Sullivan is skilled in: Margin Improvement, Budgeting, Income Statement..., Management Reporting, Executive Presentations, Executive Team, Strategic Modeling, Cost Accounting, New Business Pricing, Incentive Compensation..., Expense Management, Employee Development, Transformational..., Chief Financial Officer, CFO, Business Intelligence, Financial Reporting, Strategic Planning, Coaching, Project Management, Profit and Loss..., Leadership Development, Executive-level..., Budgets, Corporate Finance, Pricing, Financial Modeling, Management, Investments, Mutual Funds, Financial Analysis, Executive Management, Change Management, Business Strategy, Risk Management, Banking, Managerial Finance, Portfolio Management
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension