I code code and engineer engineering. And I'm a pleasure to work with...
I have over 20 years of experience designing and developing innovative software, primarily within startups. I have co-founded 4 software companies, and have been a lead technologist at 8 companies. I have managed software development teams at 6 companies, including managing groups of teams.
I code code and engineer engineering. And I'm a pleasure to work with...
I have over 20 years of experience designing and developing innovative software, primarily within startups. I have co-founded 4 software companies, and have been a lead technologist at 8 companies. I have managed software development teams at 6 companies, including managing groups of teams. I am an experienced architect and developer, and I continually work to expand my breadth and depth in software development technology and practices.
My "special sauce" is working in the trenches with my team to define and deliver the product(s) and platform. By remaining hands-on, and contributing high-quality production code as a member of the team, I remain in touch with the state and quality of work the team is delivering, and I identify ways that we can improve development productivity and leverage. If development quality is poor or direction is undefined, I identify it early. I provide members of the engineering team feedback on their work, and help them learn and improve their craft; and I learn from them in return.
As a coder, I am a full-stack developer. I typically contribute technically in these areas:
* Platform creation and design
* Initial development of new systems
* Model and API design
* Frameworks and implementation patterns
* Solving "hard" problems
* Development tools and practices
* System infrastructure that provides operational transparency and efficiency.
* Software strategy and execution to support innovative business models
* Technical team building/hiring
* Software system architecture, with emphasis on platform design
* API design
* Distributed systems
* Service-oriented architecture
* System efficiency and scalability
* .NET, Java, C++ development
* Web development
* Data processing and data access
* Managing Windows and Linux environments
VP of Engineering, TV @ “Linear TV” is the pre-programmed TV content that is broadcast over radio, cable, and satellite, and viewed by 116M households in the US and 1.4B households worldwide. TV advertising is the most powerful marketing medium and in the US receives twice the annual spend of all digital advertising combined. Adap.tv combines numerous diverse datasets, automated TV buying and measurement, and patented targeting and ROI measurement methodologies to provide the industry’s leading service for maximizing the effectiveness and ROI of TV advertising.
I lead engineering teams in Seattle and San Mateo. I'm focused on platform design, architecture, developer productivity, code quality, and engineering tactics. From May 2014 to Present (1 year 8 months) Greater Seattle AreaVP Engineering @ PrecisionDemand modernized TV advertising. We made TV advertising measurable, targetable, and predictable using software, data science, and lots of data.
I led a small team of experienced engineers in building the PrecisionDemand platform. I focused on architecture, engineering practices, team productivity, IT operations, and implementation quality. From July 2011 to May 2014 (2 years 11 months) Greater Seattle AreaSr. Director of Engineering @ At Medio, I led engineering for 4 years, and led platform development for 5.5 years, reporting to the CEO. During that time, we shipped offerings including mobile app store search and recommendations, voice search, universal search and recommendations, mobile ad federation, and a content federation portal platform. We delivered numerous customer releases for 9 mobile operators, including international operators. Medio's business grew from no revenue to profitable during my tenure. From December 2005 to July 2011 (5 years 8 months) Greater Seattle AreaCo-Founder, VP of Engineering @ WebRelevance was a pioneer in contextual advertising - we launched the second commercially available contextual targeting service. We provided a content-targeted advertising service, RelevanceServer, which aggregated ads from keyword-targeted ad networks, and using data feedback loops optimized for revenue and click-through rate. We served contextually targeted ads for leading internet companies, including MSNBC, eBay, MSN, Expedia, and Acquantive. Our service yielded great results, doubling the click-through rate over hand-selected ads on MSN, and besting our competitors in independent blind tests. And our service was very cost efficient, with a gross margin of 93%. From August 2002 to December 2005 (3 years 5 months) Greater Seattle AreaPrincipal Consultant @ Numerous projects in a part-time consulting capacity. Highlights include:
* Technical due diligence on startups for Seattle area VCs and private investors. Specialties include search, online advertising, and scalability of distributed systems.
* Worked on Windsurfing sail design (CAD) software for Neil Pryde Maui. Sails designed using our software won at least 14 overall World Cup titles. From December 1993 to December 2005 (12 years 1 month) Instructor @ Taught week-long C#, ASP.NET, .NET Framework, and Object-Oriented Programming classes all over the U.S. This was a part-time job. From March 2002 to June 2003 (1 year 4 months) Co-Founder, CTO @ WebGecko sold innovative developer tools for optimizing the performance of dynamic web applications. I created Active Page Generator, a programmable and easy-to-use pre-rendering solution compatible with Visual Studio and Active Server Pages (ASP classic). It was the leading programming environment for pre-rendering Web pages and generating offline content. I also created ASPCache, a high-performance and affordable caching solution for Active Server Pages. I led a small team and providing consulting services to companies seeking to improve the efficiency and scalability of their ASP applications. From April 1998 to August 2002 (4 years 5 months) Greater Seattle AreaDirector of Development @ Lead a team of 4 developers, 3 testers, 1 technical writer, and 1 product manager. Shipped IntelliServ 1.1, which was our corporate knowledge management portal. Also led development of version 2.0, which included an IntelliServ SDK. From January 1997 to March 1998 (1 year 3 months) Greater Seattle AreaSr SDE @ Cognisoft was founded by 5 ex-Microsoft employees to create one of the first web-based corporate knowledge management systems. I was Cognisoft’s first non-founding employee. Contributed from first whiteboard drawing to shrink-wrapped product. Cognisoft was acquired by Verity, a leader in enterprise search, in 1997. From July 1996 to January 1997 (7 months) Greater Seattle AreaSDE @ Diagsoft was a hardware diagnostics and technical support company. I worked on ETSC - Electronic Technical Support Center - focusing on networking and dial-up communications support. From June 1995 to July 1996 (1 year 2 months) Co-Founder and Developer @ My first startup - we attempted to build predictive modeling software for financial markets analysis. I worked on neural network and fuzzy logic libraries in C++. From March 1994 to June 1995 (1 year 4 months) Hawaiian Islands
BS, Computer Science and Engineering @ University of California, Davis From 1988 to 1993 El Dorado High School From 1984 to 1988 John Crim is skilled in: Distributed Systems, Java, C++, .NET, SOA, Architecture, Software Development, Linux, Start-ups, Windows, Web Services, Search, SaaS, Mobile, C#
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension