Financial services business development leader with expertise in global mergers and strategic alliances now running independent consultancy. Former global head of alliances and ventures for CME Group and SVP for NYSE Euronext. Experienced in financial technology, corporate governance, and regulatory matters, including market structure and multi-asset class trading systems. Strong base of relationships with buy-side firms, exchange,
Financial services business development leader with expertise in global mergers and strategic alliances now running independent consultancy. Former global head of alliances and ventures for CME Group and SVP for NYSE Euronext. Experienced in financial technology, corporate governance, and regulatory matters, including market structure and multi-asset class trading systems. Strong base of relationships with buy-side firms, exchange, business, and government leaders in the Americas, EMEA, and Asia.
--Equities and commodities trading technology
--Market structure and order routing
Managing Partner @ Independent consultancy providing advisory services to clients in the global financial services and financial technology sectors.
• Clients include VC-funded digital currency exchange, public finance data visualization company, and financial services enterprise software company.
• Key relationships include exchanges, banks, trading firms, and government leaders in the Americas, EMEA, and Asia. From October 2014 to Present (1 year 3 months) Board Trustee @ Trustee of MoAF, a Smithsonian affiliate dedicated to promoting a deeper understanding of financial markets and the nation’s economy.
• Member of the Executive Committee and Chair of CEO Search Committee. From April 2004 to Present (11 years 9 months) MD, Corporate Development and Finance @ Responsible for delivering results from and developing new business opportunities from CME Group's portfolio of investments and alliances, including in Brazil, Mexico, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, India, UAE, Norway, and the U.S.
• Conceived $100M+ project to jointly develop multi-asset class trading technology with BVMF of Brazil, negotiated agreements, oversaw execution of project from business side; system now successfully in production in Brazil and being marketed to exchanges globally.
• Changed leadership and strategy for Dubai Mercantile Exchange, focused on creating a new global crude oil benchmark, which produced a 50% increase in volumes in less than two years.
• Improved results from existing alliances and ventures, managed orderly exit from previously-acquired unprofitable investments.
• Developed comprehensive international government relations strategy for CME Group focused on creating new sovereign business opportunities and removing regulatory and tax barriers to growth. From June 2009 to October 2014 (5 years 5 months) Greater New York City AreaBoard Director @ Represented largest shareholder on Board of Oslo-based freight and energy derivatives exchange.
• Led Board initiatives on management change and strategic direction resulting in sale of assets, including energy broker-dealer Spectron, and return of capital to investors. From June 2009 to September 2013 (4 years 4 months) Oslo Area, NorwaySVP and Chief of Staff @ Part of leadership team that transformed NYSE from a not-for-profit membership organization to a multi-product company operating nine exchanges in six countries.
• Advised CEO on global strategy, worked with remainder of his team to develop and execute plan for geographic and product diversification and launch of NYSE Group as a publicly-traded company.
• Responsible for establishment and operations of NYSE Euronext Board and Management Committee, corporate strategy, and development of new businesses.
• Served as global head of NYSE Technologies’ Exchange Solutions, providing IT services and other solutions to third party exchanges. Responsible for major revenue line with staff in New York, Paris, London, Belfast, and Hong Kong. Deals included strategic partnership with Tokyo Stock Exchange and system upgrade for Warsaw Stock Exchange
• Represented NYSE at World Economic Forum, Davos, and speaker at numerous NYSE and financial industry events. From February 2004 to May 2009 (5 years 4 months) VP @ With GS&Co (New York, 2003-04), responsible for advising President/COO on strategy and developments, assisting in management of GS corporate governance structure, and carrying out special projects on his behalf.
• Administered firmwide Management Committee and other corporate committees.
• Served on global Sovereign Relations Task Force which developed GS strategy towards government clients.
With GS Japan (1999-2003), worked with Tokyo-based Chairman of GS Asia in development of China, India, Japan, and ASEAN business and strategy.
• Established and administered governance structure of GS Japan and GS Asia.
• Responsible for government and media relations for GS Japan.
• Served on board of International Bankers Association, American Chamber of Commerce in Japan, and other Tokyo-based industry groups dedicated to bringing about regulatory and policy changes. From November 1999 to February 2004 (4 years 4 months) Foreign Service Officer @ Foreign Service officer with multi-disciplinary experience in Asia, Latin America, and Europe. Received Superior Honor Award for work on Task Force to respond to bombing of Embassy Nairobi. Recipient of Meritorious Honor Awards and Special Honor Awards. Posts included:
• Deputy Director, Office of South-Central European Affairs: Responsible for monitoring of U.N. sanctions against Former Republic of Yugoslavia, involved in efforts to bring stability and economic development to the Balkans region.
• Political-Military Officer, Athens, Greece
• Deputy Consul General, Thessaloniki, Greece
• Political Officer, Office of U.N. Political Affairs
• Administrative Officer, Osaka, Japan
• Consular Officer, Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. One of two U.S. representatives on OAS mission to restore democracy to Haiti following military coup against President Aristide. From August 1985 to November 1999 (14 years 4 months) Sales and Marketing @ Responsible for East Coast semiconductor sales and marketing efforts
• Lobbied in Washington and developed case for successful antidumping suit vs. Japanese DRAM manufacturers From September 1984 to June 1985 (10 months)
AB, Government @ Dartmouth College From 1980 to 1984 David Shuler is skilled in: Market Structure, Capital Markets, Equities, Trading Systems, Electronic Trading, Derivatives, Equity Trading, Financial Markets, Market Data, Trading, Options, Equity Derivatives, Commodity, Fixed Income, FX Options, Mergers, Securities, Strategy
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension