Master of Science @
The Catholic University of America
Andu is an electrical and software engineer by training. He is passionate about using technology to solve challenging problems in various industries. Solar energy and power system is his current focus. His PhD research is in modelling, control and optimization for smart grid using distributed generation, energy storage and solar forecasting. He has been working on multiple
Andu is an electrical and software engineer by training. He is passionate about using technology to solve challenging problems in various industries. Solar energy and power system is his current focus. His PhD research is in modelling, control and optimization for smart grid using distributed generation, energy storage and solar forecasting. He has been working on multiple renewable energy and software development projects.
- Specialties: Modelling and Forecasting, Optimization and Control, Software Engineering and Design, Power Engineering, Data and Image Analysis.
- Fields of interest: Distributed Generation, Software Engineering and Design, Power System, Information Technology, Investing.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in working with:
+ Simulation software: GridLab-D, OpenDSS, CYME, DesignBase, SynerGEE, SKM, DEW/ISM
+ Programming languages: Matlab, Java, Python, C++, C
Senior Power Systems Engineer @ • Drive interconnection of SolarCity’s complex and strategic distributed energy resource projects.
• Perform strategic technical analyses and modeling to further SolarCity’s internal expertise and external thought leadership.
• Oversee technical execution and analysis of results for strategic pilots and research projects.
• Support product development and management of potential new products. From March 2015 to Present (8 months) San Francisco Bay AreaProject Leader, Center for Renewable Resources and Integration @ • Designing various control methods to integrate large amounts of renewable energy into the existing electric power grid without sacrificing the stability of the existing power grid.
• Research on impacts of having high PV penetration on 5 real distribution feeders using power system simulation with OpenDSS and solar forecasting with MATLAB.
• Developed a simulation and optimization software package for distribution network with different distributed resources (including PV, energy storage, etc.) coupled with solar forecasting.
• Supervising 4 PhD students on multiple renewable energy projects; Working closely with several research directors and industry experts.
• Established partnerships with SolarCity, NREL and EPRI to collaborate on multiple projects.
• Developed a novel method to measure cloud height that has been licensed to an outside party.
• Led a team to develop software algorithms for a $25,000 solar forecasting system that has been licensed to several parties and deployed in multiple states. From August 2012 to Present (3 years 3 months) La Jolla, CAPresident @ • Restructured and transformed the club from an inactive one to one voted "Outstanding Student Organization of the Year" with more than 450 active members.
• Initiated consulting projects with local business and technology firms to provide real consulting experience for club members and supervised several of them.
• Organized the micro MBA-Program with the Rady School of Management for 120 selected PhD's and postdocs.
• Directed the L.E.K. case competition, BCG info session, and two McKinsey experience sharing events that attracted more than 60 attendees per session; Coordinated 7 other events. From September 2013 to September 2014 (1 year 1 month) Greater San Diego AreaEnergy Consultant Intern @ • Created a method to investigate the impacts of having large amounts of renewable energy on the power grid.
• Made recommendations in a report to the Department of Energy on the best integration strategies for solar energy.
• Developed a software package for renewable energy research. From July 2012 to April 2013 (10 months) Knoxville, Tennessee AreaSoftware Engineer @ • Developed internet-based collaboration software for design, planning and management of organizational resources.
• Engineered the first version of the software and assisted in its commercialization. From January 2010 to September 2011 (1 year 9 months) CaliforniaResearcher @ • Developed real-time and highly accurate reconstructing system for 3D objects using digital camera and projector.
• Published 3 first author papers and coauthored 7 others; Aided in making the lab well known for 3D image processing. From December 2008 to May 2011 (2 years 6 months) Washington D.C.
PhD, Engineering/ Power Systems/ Grid Integration of Renewable Energy/ Solar Forecasting @ University of California, San Diego From 2011 to 2015 Master of Science, Electrical Engineering, 3.91/4.0 @ The Catholic University of America From 2010 to 2011 Bachelor of Science, Electrical Engineering, Summa Cum Laude, 3.92/4.0 @ The Catholic University of America From 2008 to 2011 Computer Science Studies @ HCM International University, Vietnam From 2006 to 2008 Andu Nguyen is skilled in: Renewable Energy, Matlab, Project Management, Programming, Solar Energy, Project Planning, Software Development, Engineering, Energy, Web Design and..., Data/Image Processing..., Solar Forecasting, Grid Integration of..., Consulting, Management, Simulations, Management Consulting, Leadership, C++, C
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension