Manager Waste and Aquatic Services @ Goulburn Mulwaree Council
Baps Social Ecology Environmental major, Environmental Studies @
My current work place is as an Environmental Officer for Downer. Conducting environmental duties on renewables projects in regional NSW and South Australia. Other recent appointments were as Superintendent at CST Mining Lady Annie Operations in Queensland and as Manager Waste and Aquatic Services at Goulburn Mulwaree Council in New South Wales. These positions required technical competency,
My current work place is as an Environmental Officer for Downer. Conducting environmental duties on renewables projects in regional NSW and South Australia. Other recent appointments were as Superintendent at CST Mining Lady Annie Operations in Queensland and as Manager Waste and Aquatic Services at Goulburn Mulwaree Council in New South Wales. These positions required technical competency, OHS and environmental systems compliance and managerial leadership skills.
I have managed teams in excess of staff of 25 permanent, 15 casual staff, as well as a number of contractors and budgets between $1.7million (CST) and $5.6 million (Goulburn Council).
I have a Bachelor of Applied Science Undergraduate Degree in Social Ecology with a major in Environmental Education. This degree included subjects such as but not limited to Water Ecology, Environmental Impact assessment/studies, Eco-psychology, Environmental law and learning processes.
In 2007 I completed a post graduate certificate in Environmental Engineering Management through UTS Sydney. Subjects that were completed in the Graduate Certificate were Managing Projects, Environmental Risk Assessment, Environmental Management of Land and Waste and Pollution Management.
I have a strong work ethic, good interpersonal and communication skills. I have a proven track record in delivering and performing allocated tasks against clear objectives and timeframes.
I enjoy working as part of a team or on a solo basis. I am flexible with work arrangements and am willing to relocate to remote locations or work roster systems.
Environmental Officer @ From August 2012 to Present (3 years 5 months) Environmental Superintendant @ February 2012 I was offered and accepted the position of Environmental Superintendent at CST Mining Lady Annie Operations. LAO is situated 140km NW of Mt Isa, this is a remote operation that works on predominately 8/6 FIFO roster.
This role requires the; primary management of staff resources, developing and maintaining environment section operational and capital budgets and ensuring that LAO runs in accordance with its overarching documents to ensure compliance with regulatory bodies and legislation.
One of the main roles of the position is to ensure that LAO ruling documentation is kept up to date and revised to reflect the requirements that are set out in the LAO Environmental Authority. eg. Plan of Ops and subordinate plans
Ensuring that the site complies with the Environmental Authority and Plan of Operations and associated documentation.Achieved this through conducting regular site audits to ensure that the relevant sections are conducting activities in accordance with the applicable regulations, legislation and guidelines. Audits/inspections were also used to monitor ongoing rehabilitation and flag areas that required addressing in order to address and advance the overall rehabilitation on mining leases.
Oversee and conduct compliance monitoring in line with the LAO Environmental Authority. Including but not limited to;
• Groundwater (Production and monitoring bores, water storages and extaction)
• Dust nuisance
• Surface water (rising stage samplers event based monitoring)
• Soil and sediment sampling (pre and post wetseason)
I was also required to participate in daily managerial meetings discussing incidents/events that are then relayed to other members of the Environmental team. I was also required to compile reports, presentations both internal (State of the nation updates for whole of site, attend section specific pre start and safety meetings) and external (monthly, quarterly and annual reports that are released to shareholders) From February 2012 to July 2012 (6 months) Manager Waste and Aquatic Services @ This role takes on the primary management responsibility for Council’s Aquatic Centre and Waste Services; which entail, domestic waste management including domestic waste, recycling and organic waste collection services, Non domestic waste management including, commercial waste services rural waste operations and the management of Council’s 2 Waste Management Centres and transfer station.
Management responsibilities for the role included development and maintenance of operations budgets for Council Waste Services and Aquatic Centre, managing a full time staff of 27 and numerous casual staff and contractors and developing routine and unique reports and correspondence for Council, Government departments, contractors and private entities.
Managing Council Waste and Aquatic facilities to ensure compliance with licensing conditions and regulations set by governing bodies. eg. completing annual returns, monitoring, compliance with Council and legislative OHS regulations and maintaining operational and strategic documentation
I was a member of Council’s Asset Management Project team that was tasked with identifying Council assets and developing of a working Asset Management Plans.
Since being employed with Council some major projects that I designed and managed through their duration include but are not limited to:
• Incorporated building maintenance projects for council owned and operated facilities.
• Some major maintenance projects that I have project managed for Council are;
• major maintenance works at the aquatic centre including structural repair work to the indoor and outdoor pools and facilities
• Installation of acoustic insulation at the indoor pool facility,
• Footing and structural enhancement projects on the Goulburn Town Hall
• Major environmental works at the Goulburn and Marulan waste management centres including leachate management works and sediment/erosion control. From October 2006 to February 2012 (5 years 5 months) Facilities Engineer @ In 2006 I was employed by Goulburn Mulwaree Council in the role of Facilities Engineer. Primarily this position was second in charge to the Facilities Manager. My initial roles as the Facilities Engineer were to complete specific tasks and projects that were assigned by Council Executive and the Manager of facilities.
Some of the major projects I was tasked with were;
• updating and overhauling the Facilities OHS methodology.
• Roll out and implementation of new domestic waste and recycling bins and accompanying services in Goulburn and Marulan. From October 2006 to January 2008 (1 year 4 months) OHS/Environmental coordinator, Corporate Tenderer @ I started at AGC as a roof labourer. I was sent out to jobs and projects with tradesmen and completed allotted tasks. (Gutter cleaning, roof maintenance, rubbish removal, roof replacements)
I progressed to acting as site foreman and assistant to project managers. These roles included maintaining a safe work environment and ensuring that sites complied with government OHS guidelines and legislation. This progressed to organising OHS paperwork and completed and submitted relevant OHS material to clients, government agencies and strata managers. On larger projects i was responsible for
- organising all OHS/environmental paperwork, work schedules and compliance with government legislation and guidelines.
- measuring and ordering of materials, preparing stock and employees/tradesmen
- responsible for OHS/environmental compliance
- completing and maintaining the Project Managers Site File.
- On asbestos projects i was tasked with the project-managing role, entailing all of the above-mentioned roles along with the responsibility of running the project from start till finish.
I was also charged with sourcing and completing government tenders involving construction work (Roofing) this involved estimating and quoting works, designing environmental and OHS plans that complied with Government guidelines.
When not working on projects I reviewed and maintained the company OHS policy, procedures, Safe Work Method Statements and OHS Management System.
In my final year of work with AGC i was tasked with preliminary works in compiling and implementing an accredited Environmental Management System in the construction industry.
I was also involved with invoicing jobs that AGC had completed. This required a sound knowledge of Microsoft Access based computer management systems. I used this system to complete quotes, tenders and invoicing. From 2003 to October 2006 (3 years)
Post Graduate Certificate in Environmental Engineering Management, Environmental Engineering Technology/Environmental Technology @ UTS Broadway From 2006 to 2007 Baps Social Ecology Environmental major, Environmental Studies @ UWS Hawkesbury From 1995 to 1998 HAHSHAHS Andrew Galland is skilled in: Dedicated Professional, strong rural upbringing, honest, Keen Listener, Project Management, Operations Management, Staff Management, Staff Supervision, Environmental Awareness, Environmental Engineering, Environmental Issues, Mining, Contract Management, Environmental Compliance, Environmental Impact Assessment
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension