Experienced and driven CEO with Fortune 500 pedigree from industry leading companies Procter & Gamble and Avery Dennison. An entrepreneurial leader successful in private equity and venture capital funded businesses. Strong brand builder experienced in manufacturing and distribution business models. Has a global orientation with extensive Asian sourcing experience. Proven ability to expand existing markets, penetrate new
Experienced and driven CEO with Fortune 500 pedigree from industry leading companies Procter & Gamble and Avery Dennison. An entrepreneurial leader successful in private equity and venture capital funded businesses. Strong brand builder experienced in manufacturing and distribution business models. Has a global orientation with extensive Asian sourcing experience. Proven ability to expand existing markets, penetrate new markets, manage acquisitions, and form strategic alliances. Is a strong leader who inspires trust and builds a team-based culture.
President & CEO, Board of Directors @ An early-stage manufacturer & distributor of security products to major home improvement retailers funded by a prominent venture capital investor.
• Increased revenue from $10M to $50M by diversifying the product portfolio and increasing market share with major customers.
• Dramatically improved the financial performance by reversing negative margins to create positive cash flow and EBITDA
• Created a global manufacturing platform with multiple Asian factories and expansion of the existing U.S. factory needed to triple domestic production.
• Established U.S. distribution and logistics capabilities capable of serving the largest home improvement retailers with best-in-class support from west and east coast facilities.
• Secured three rounds of Series AA and BB financing and bank credit line to provide the company with sufficient funding to support the business plan.
• Affected a significant cultural shift to an aggressive, customer-focused team that values strong execution. From October 2007 to Present (8 years 3 months) Chief Operating Officer @ Largest privately held audio-visual distributor in the U.S.
• Increased revenue from $112M to $125M and EBITDA from $4.7M to $5.5M. Focused on expanding the sales team, enhancing internal processes, and improving supplier relations.
• Recruited 10 new strategic vendors in 2006 adding $20M in incremental sales revenue per year.
• Completed the first acquisition in company history to expand market share by 50% in California, the company’s largest market, with a projected payback in 18 months. From 2005 to 2007 (2 years) President & CEO @ Luggage and travel gear.
• After the successful build up and sale of Bell Automotive Products was asked by the private equity partners to lead a turnaround project on a troubled portfolio business. Challenge was to turnaround business that lost $7M on $70M in revenue in 2003.
• Developed and executed a comprehensive turnaround plan that included expense reductions, tighter inventory control, and improved sourcing effectiveness to deliver breakeven profitability on $54M in revenue in 2004.
• Reduced expenses from $11M to $7M by downsizing the organization, restructuring vendor agreements, and cutting operating expenses.
• Divested a poor-performing division, Arctic Zone coolers, to a competitor. Used the proceeds to eliminate $6.5M outstanding bank debt, with additional investment from financial partners.
• Improved working capital by reducing inventory from $11M to $2M. Discontinued unproductive products and exited unprofitable licensing agreements.
• Reduced fixed overhead by $1.7M per year by downsizing the distribution center and exiting $6M lease obligation. From 2004 to 2005 (1 year) President @ Aftermarket automotive accessories.
• After joining the company as Vice President, Sales was promoted to President, reporting to the Chairman.
• Increased revenue from $20M to $48M and EBITDA from $2M to $8M. Led the sale of the company to a financial buyer, resulting in four times shareholder return on investment in three years.
• Drove growth strategy by doubling product development investment and expanding from three into seven product categories.
• Grew EBITDA margin from 12% to 19%, despite market price pressure, by reducing SG&A as a percent of sales from 23% to 17% and product acquisitions costs by 30%.
• Built a strong team with bench strength capable of taking the business to the next level under new ownership. From 2001 to 2004 (3 years) Senior Vice President/General Manager @ Worldwide leader in bicycle helmets & accessories.
• Recruited to the Vice President, Sales role to reverse three years of declining sales. Was promoted within six months to SVP/General Manager of the Mass Market business unit, representing two-thirds of company sales and profit.
• In less than three years, increased business unit revenue from $104M to $154M and EBITDA from $12M to $33M. Played a leadership role in the sale of the company to a financial buyer, resulting in three times shareholder return on investment in less than two years.
• Created strategic alliances for licensing and distribution rights to Barbie, Mongoose, and Kryptonite Lock brands, resulting in $20M incremental sales per year.
• Established a dedicated customer development team in Bentonville to service the Wal-Mart account. Increased revenue from $45M to $74M from ’98-’00 and recognized as Vendor of the Quarter.
• Brokered a three-year exclusivity deal with Kmart Stores worth $75M incremental sales over the length of the contract. Created a customer development team in Troy, MI and delivered $30M revenue in year one.
• After a five-year absence at the account, re-established relations with ToysRUs resulting in $10M sales in first year. From 1998 to 2001 (3 years) Director, Marketing @ Office products and adhesive materials.
• Recruited to lead the creation and start up of a new trade marketing department to improve sales and marketing effectiveness with the company’s largest customers that represented over 80% of net income.
• Acted as a change agent to introduce category management to the office products industry and promote fact-based selling including evaluation of the effectiveness of promotions, plan-o-grams, and trade catalogs.
• Revamped trade promotion strategy with channel-specific programs and national events for key merchandising windows. Efforts contributed to outstanding company performance, with overall profits exceeding plan by 30% from ’97-’98. From 1995 to 1998 (3 years) Category Sales Manager, Beauty Care @ From 1993 to 1995 (2 years) Trade Marketing Manager, Food & Beverage @ From 1990 to 1993 (3 years) Brand Manager, Food & Beverage @ From 1989 to 1990 (1 year) District Sales Manager, Food & Beverage @ From 1985 to 1989 (4 years) Sales Representative/Unit Sales Manager, Packaged Soap @ From 1980 to 1985 (5 years)
Bachelor of Science @ University of ArizonaMBA, Business Administration @ Xavier University Jeffrey Bell is skilled in: Business Development, Retail, Strategic Planning, Start-ups, New Business Development, Mergers, Operations Management, Product Development, Strategy, Account Management, Merchandising, Business Planning, Pricing, Organizational Development, Strategic Partnerships
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension