Certificate, Transition to Management @
University of Texas at Austin Human Resources
I am a seasoned IT professional. My main focus work has been UNIX and Network administration, and engineering. I can work easily in both Linux, and Solaris. I also have some experience with Windows Servers, and can program, and script. An old job title was Operating Systems Specialist which is appropriate since I am more than just
I am a seasoned IT professional. My main focus work has been UNIX and Network administration, and engineering. I can work easily in both Linux, and Solaris. I also have some experience with Windows Servers, and can program, and script. An old job title was Operating Systems Specialist which is appropriate since I am more than just a UNIX admin. I have always taken an interest in anything IT, and see myself as a jack of all trades. I enjoy technical work, but also the business side of IT. I'm a big believer in using ITIL, Visible Ops, and similar principles to build reliable, and useful systems. I also have a strong interest in High Performance Computing, Storage, and Cloud..
Besides my interest in hardware, I enjoy programming. Currently (may be rusty in some languages) I can code in C, C++, Perl, Java, Python, Ruby, tcl/tk, and shells (sh/ksh/bash/csh, as I tend to be technology agnostic). I particularly enjoy functional programming languages, and have programmed in Lisp, Scheme, and Haskell. I've been exposed to Agile (worked in a Scrum shop, and have taken a Kanban class), pair programming, and software engineering concepts such as refactoring, and design patterns.
Samples of work:
In my spare time, I take online classes, cooking classes, and assemble electronics kits. I read, mostly fantasy, science fiction, and technical books (computing, science, math, and history). I am active in a wide variety of Austin area meetups, and technical groups. This year I am also working as a volunteer Little League umpire.
Linux Engineer @ From April 2015 to Present (9 months) Big Data Operations Engineer @ From February 2014 to April 2015 (1 year 3 months) Austin, Texas AreaSenior Consultant @ • Consultant for an engagement that leveraged Puppet to perform various security compliance checks, and configurations (e.g., send mail banner, login rules, etc.).
• Worked with Puppet Labs engineer during Central Piedmont Community College’s bootstrap; helping operations understand how Puppet works, and demonstrated advanced techniques and best practices - custom facts, data separation using hiera, GitHub workflows, and the using role-profile design pattern.
• De facto Puppet subject area expert for the Professional Services team at Service Mesh: responsible for validating the install of their Puppet integration, and trained professional teams in this process including helping to modify the integration for a client From April 2013 to October 2013 (7 months) Senior UNIX System Administrator @ * Managed AWS based project.
* Managed virtualized development environment using VMware vCloud, and a HP 3PAR F200 storage array. Enhancements include private certificate authority, puppet server, and RPM building system. Started re-design of fibre channel network to be more inline with 3PAR VMware implementation guide. Coded Nagios checks using the VMware web services SDK, and the 3PAR CIM interface. From October 2012 to April 2013 (7 months) Linux Engineer @ * Maintained development tools such as subversion, Team City, and Nexus.
* Helped maintain, and debug release tools, and helped with release process.
* Coordinated with Rackspace our primary hosting company. Point of contact for our Data Foundry based lab.
* Supported AWS based systems. From March 2012 to October 2012 (8 months) Austin, Texas AreaSenior System Administrator @ * Manage 3 ROCKS High Performance Computing clusters. Designed, and bought 2.
* Specify, and purchase desktops, laptops, racks, UPS units, etc.
* Manage MySQL, and Apache web servers.
* Evaluated old backup server. Designed, and deployed 2 backup systems.
* Designed, and deployed Center's first file server. Designed LDAP back end, coded
support scripts, and specified procedures for maintaining user accounts. Currently
deploying EMC VNXe3100 Unified Storage array.
* Assist users. Writing first set of comprehensive user docs.
* Specify procedures for all aspects of Center's operations. Writing comprehensive
* Designed monitoring system for machine room. Coordinate with facilities for repairs,
* Maintain public LAN. Coordinate with UT's Networking group as needed. Manage all
aspects of machine room networking. Respond to Information Security group queries,
and perform annual information security audit.
* Evaluating the use of Xen for MySQL, and Apache servers. Evaluating adding Splunk,
and Cacti to monitoring system.
* Note that this title was due to what the Center could pay. In this role, I performed every possible IT role including engineering, architecting, and management. From March 2007 to March 2012 (5 years 1 month) Systems Analyst @ * On site UNIX server, and desktop support in various departments.
* Assisted with new machine room construction, and workspace renovation in the Center
for Computational Biology and Bioinformatics.
* Helped hire 2 people (team member, and later team lead). Mentored new hire. Served as Linux Subject Matter Expert, and worked to help less skilled team members. From January 2005 to February 2007 (2 years 2 months) Systems Analyst @ * Primary admin for Solaris servers, and desktops.
* Assist with LAN, and Linux administration.
* Evaluated Ironport SPAM appliance. From November 2003 to January 2005 (1 year 3 months) Operating Systems Specialist @ * Managed collection of Solaris, HP-UX, Linux, and SGI desktops, and servers.
* Deployed, and maintained Horde/IMP email interface, web servers, ftp servers.
* Primary backup admin.
* Coded perl script which searched our switches for rogue systems identified by either IP
or MAC address From May 2001 to November 2003 (2 years 7 months) Network and UNIX Systems Consultant @ * Consulted at dot-coms.
* Long term contract (extended several times) at UC Berkley. Duties include day to day system admin tasks, helping to roll out hardware/software for a Blackboard server, and helping with "SysAdmin for Hire" support in departments.
* Received a TAOS client appreciation award for work at UC Berkeley. From September 2000 to May 2001 (9 months) Instructor @ * Instructor for C, C++, algorithms, and UNIX systems programming classes.
* Instructor for UNIX user classes. From November 1999 to September 2000 (11 months) Network Support Specialist @ * Helped install, and maintain network cabling, switches, and routers.
* Admin for Solaris servers which hosted the campus @uta.edu email aliases service.
* Admin for DHCP, and DNS servers. Maintained DNS files directly before UTA moved
to integrated solution.
* Wrote programs/scripts to search for rogue SMTP, and DHCP servers.
* Responded to security notices, and help campus UNIX admins clean up hacked From October 1997 to September 2000 (3 years)
Non-degree seeker @ The University of Texas at Austin From 2005 to 2011 Certificate, Transition to Management @ University of Texas at Austin Human Resources From 2009 to 2009 Bachelor of Science; Bachelor of Science, Physics; Mathematics @ UT Arlington From 1991 to 1995 Austin Community College Craig Dupree is skilled in: Apache, Linux, DNS, Solaris, Unix, Cloud Computing, System Administration, Servers, Red Hat Linux, Cluster, Operating Systems, Bash, VMware, Perl, Security
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension