Deputy Head of Political Section @ Foreign and Commonwealth Office
In preparation for my next overseas deployment @ Foreign and Commonwealth Office
Head of Afghanistan, Central Asia, Middle East, North Africa & Europe Team, Migration Directorate @ Foreign and Commonwealth Office
High View Primary
British Civil Servant of 28 years recently transferred permanently into the Foreign & Commonwealth Office. I have extensive international experience working in the migration field in both policy and project development contexts. My experience is further enhanced by a good knowledge of UK immigration policies and procedures and by diversification extended periods as a senior policy advisor
British Civil Servant of 28 years recently transferred permanently into the Foreign & Commonwealth Office. I have extensive international experience working in the migration field in both policy and project development contexts. My experience is further enhanced by a good knowledge of UK immigration policies and procedures and by diversification extended periods as a senior policy advisor on community cohesion (with a migration focus). Many of my peers generously refer to me as a migration expert; I just say it is an issue I am very passionate about. My secondary area of knowledge and passion is Sub Saharan Africa where I have represented my Government in 19 countries previously served in Kampala and Accra in migration focused roles and am now preparing to return in a political role. More historically I served as an elected Trade Unionist from 1989 - 2001.
Deputy Head of Political Section @ My responsibilities include
Leading on the External & Regional Affairs portfolio which includes: -
- Working closely with Nigerian colleagues in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
- Following Nigeria's role as a member of the UN Security Council
- Managing political relations between the UK and ECOWAS.
- Covering the gender portfolio including work on PSVI (Preventing Sexual Violence in Conflict).
- Supporting the Head in the running of the section and deputise in his absence. From September 2014 to Present (1 year 2 months) British High Commission, AbujaIn preparation for my next overseas deployment @ Currently undertaking a combination of training, pre-posting calls and short term work to support the Protocol Department such as on the recent Preventing Sexual Violence in Conflict Summit (June 2014) and upcoming Commonwealth Games. From June 2014 to Present (1 year 5 months) London, United KingdomHead of Afghanistan, Central Asia, Middle East, North Africa & Europe Team, Migration Directorate @ Advising on issues relating to migration policy (excluding visa) in over 20 countries. Overseeing the work of officers in the field and the design/delivery of projects and strategic approach to deliver UK objectives. From March 2011 to Present (4 years 8 months) London, United KingdomAssistant Director (Short term project design) @ Consultation with stakeholders to inform the design of a discreet project within the intelligence area of the business. From October 2010 to March 2011 (6 months) Croydon, UK1st Sec. Migration Policy, West Africa @ Regional coverage of all non visa UK migration relationships and project activity in ECOWAS counties plus Cameroon, Central Africa Republic, Chad, Equatorial Guinea and Mauritania.
Specific experience in developing projects to enhance intelligence capacity and strategic planning within the immigration sector of host countries and developing partnerships with civil society organisations. From November 2007 to September 2010 (2 years 11 months) AccraHead of Return & Readmission Policy @ Head of delegation to EU Migration & Expulsions Working Group with heavy focus on negotiation of the Returns Directives.
Lead on bilateral readmission agreement negotiations and UK interests in similar European Commission led negotiations.
Policy lead for Assisted Voluntary Return programmes.
Managing relations with EU counterparts. From March 2006 to October 2007 (1 year 8 months) Croydon, United KingdomSenior Policy Advisor/ Deputy Pathfinder Programme Manager, Community Cohesion Unit @ Management of the Community Cohesion Pathfinder Programme.
Monitoring and reporting on community tensions in London and North West/North East England.
Developing programmes to minimise tensions including design and development of a toolkit to disseminate learning from the Community Cohesion Pathfinder.
Final 18 months significant work on synergies with the immigration/migration agenda on a national basis. From October 2003 to March 2006 (2 years 6 months) LondonHead of Africa Team, Country Information and Policy Unit @ Research to develop information of the situation in countries attracting the UK's greatest asylum intake and inform relevent UK asylum policy.
Specific focus on Rwanda, Burundi and Somalia.
Field work to research published reports in Rwanda and Eritrea.
Mentoring to other Africa Team colleagues. From January 2002 to September 2003 (1 year 9 months) Croydon, United KingdomEntry Clerarance Officer @ Consideration of applications for entry clearance to the United Kingdom. From June 2001 to January 2002 (8 months) Kampala, UgandaCountry Officer, Country Information & Policy Unit @ As for position above commenced in January 2002 but focused on Angola, Kenya and Uganda.
Field work experience in Togo. From September 1999 to June 2001 (1 year 10 months) Croydon, United Kingdom
Cheam High, UK From 1980 to 1986 High View Primary From 1974 to 1980 Andrew Fleming is skilled in: International Relations, International Policy, Strategic Policy..., Migration Projects, Migration Management, Human Trafficking, Immigration Policy, UK Immigration, Community Cohesion, Immigration Issues, Project Design, Project Delivery, Program Management, Delivering Technical..., Management, Leadership Development, Change Management, Conference Design, International..., Conflict Resolution, Research, Industrial relations, Stakeholder Engagement, NGOs, Public Sector, Foreign Policy, Policy Analysis, European Union, Capacity Building, Humanitarian, Civil Society, Human Rights, International..., Public Diplomacy, Africa, International..., Foreign Affairs, Public Policy, Refugees, Political Science
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension