Overview:Located in the heart of downtown Quincy, IL, the Herald-Whig is owned by Quincy Media, Inc. The family owned newspaper is the sole heir to a long line of Quincy publications and a direct descendant of the first newspaper in Adams County. The Herald-Whig traces its roots to The Illinois Bounty Land Register, which published its first edition on April 17, 1835, 17 years after Illinois achieved statehood. At the time, there were only three other newspapers in the state, publishing in Jacksonville, Springfield and Galena. Following a long series of mergers, the Herald-Whig printed its first edition on June 1, 1926.
At the Herald-Whig we are committed to journalistic excellence, informing readers in all the communities we serve about critical issues, offering solutions when problems are identified, advancing ideas on our opinion pages that we believe will help our communities improve and prosper, and providing a lively forum for a variety of viewpoints.
We have and will continue to assume leadership roles in the community through involvement with and active support of organizations, institutions and causes that provide for the betterment of the region and improve the quality of life of its residents. Our objective is to be a leader and cornerstone of the community now and for future generations to come.
We believe fairness, accuracy, reliability, leadership and profitability are the foundation of The Herald-Whig's editorial and financial independence.
At the Herald-Whig we are concerned about both customers and employees. We will provide the best service possible to all our customers. We will promote employee teamwork and encourage each person to reach his or her full potential as a member of our team.