NOTE: Are you working on a startup you'd like to discuss with me? I'd love to hear - but please, no LinkedIn mails. Please email [email protected], or, even better, get an intro through someone I know and respect. If you do opt to use LinkedIn mail for this, I'll try to answer it, but do expect a
NOTE: Are you working on a startup you'd like to discuss with me? I'd love to hear - but please, no LinkedIn mails. Please email [email protected], or, even better, get an intro through someone I know and respect. If you do opt to use LinkedIn mail for this, I'll try to answer it, but do expect a longer delay. Thanks!
I've been building software products that people use since 1989.
That's long enough to make a lot of mistakes in many diverse fields - product, technological, managerial, organizational, inter-personal.
Hopefully I've also learned a lesson or two on the way.
I am now passionate about putting these lessons to good use, helping build companies @ internet speed through lool ventures.
Named one of the Top-40 Israeli Internet Startup Professionals by TheMarker Magazine in 2008. Mentor for up-and-coming high school students with StartupSeeds.
Prior to lool ventures, I served as CTO for Yedda, now AOL Answers, an AOL company. I've co-founded Yedda on 2006 (acquired by AOL on 2007). Previously, I was VP R&D at SmarTeam, acquired on 1999 by Dassault Systems (DASTY). Before that, I was chief architect in a software unit in the Intelligence Corps \ IDF, where I built a distributed Geographical Information Systems. Prior that, back in the early days of the Web, I've worked for HyperAct, an Internet startup company that created tools for web development, web based e-learning and hypertext viewing and authoring.
I hold a Bachelor degree in Computer Science from the Technion, Israel Institute of Technology.
Specialties: Some of the areas in which I was fortunate enough to be allowed to make mistakes:
* Software Dev., Product Dev., Quality Assurance, Product Definition, Product Management, Online marketing (social & traditional), Content, Analytics & BI
* Managing big & small teams in multi-national corporations spanning multiple locations
* Funding startup companies
General Partner @ From 2011 to Present (4 years) Investor, Board Member @ From 2013 to Present (2 years) Investor, Board Member @ From 2013 to Present (2 years) Investor, Board Member @ From 2013 to Present (2 years) Investor, Board Member @ From 2012 to Present (3 years) Investor, Member of the Board @ From 2011 to Present (4 years) Investor @ From 2011 to Present (4 years) Investor @ From 2011 to Present (4 years) Advisory Board Member @ Automated End-to-End Marketing Platform From January 2011 to Present (5 years) Seed investor @ From July 2010 to Present (5 years 6 months) Shareholder and Advisor @ From February 2010 to Present (5 years 11 months) Advisory Board Member @ From March 2010 to March 2014 (4 years 1 month) Board Member @ Familio building homes for millions of homeless families online, and is now hiring! http://familio.com/jobs From 2012 to 2014 (2 years) Seed investor @ From January 2010 to 2013 (3 years) Seed investor, Advisory Board Member @ From 2009 to 2013 (4 years) Investor, Advisory Board Member @ Acquired by Facebook. From 2008 to 2012 (4 years) Vice President @ From 2009 to April 2011 (2 years) CTO AOL Answers (Yedda) @ Responsibilites include:
* CTO: Architecture, Technology, Processes
* Online Marketing: SEM, Media buying, Social Media
* Product Management
* Product Definition
* Analytics & BI
* Editorial Content Creation
* Moderation From November 2007 to March 2011 (3 years 5 months) CTO @ Co-Founder, Yedda
Acquired by AOL Nov' 2007, now AOL Answers http://aolanswers.com From June 2005 to March 2011 (5 years 10 months) Seed investor, Advisory Board Member @ Acquired by Playtika. From 2009 to January 2011 (2 years) Advisory Board Member @ Acquired by Ybrant Digital. From 2009 to 2011 (2 years) Advisory Board Member @ From 2009 to 2011 (2 years) Advisory Board Member @ From 2009 to 2010 (1 year) VP R&D @ Managed the R&D department, providing managerial, architectural and technological leadership.
Managed a development organization of 60 developers.
Responsible for research, development, maintenance, architecture and technology
Worked directly with large customers to define requirements, deliver solutions and support implementations:
- NOKIA, IBM, ACER, Comverse, TEVA, BOEING, Bosch, Goodyear and others
Worked directly with Microsoft and IBM development groups as early adapter.
- Microsoft: .NET, SharePoint Server, MS SQL Server, MS Index Server, Windows 2003, BizTalk Server, Office, .NET My Services
- IBM WebSphere: WAS, WPS, WBI, DB2, Lotus Notes
Assisted in pre-sale efforts with large customers.
- Transformation to a development organization capable of multiple parallel releases concurrently and efficiently
- Transformation from Windows-centric, workgroup solution into a Cross Platform, Web-based, Enterprise level solution From January 2002 to March 2005 (3 years 3 months) R&D Director, Web Technologies @ Responsible for platform and technologies
- Led the development of SmarTeams web platform
- Led the migration to Web Services and to .NET
- Architected iXF, authored iXF Specification:
XML-based industry standard for integrating and exchanging product, plant, or project information throughout manufacturing enterprises and their supply chains; extensible standard for transferring data, metadata and related files.
- Innovated industry-first support for MS ASP.NET on IBM WebSphere Application Server. From August 2000 to May 2002 (1 year 10 months) Team Leader, R&D Manager, Web Technologies @ Responsible for the development of SmarTeams web technology
- Created the first SmarTeam web clients
- Led the migration to COM technology
- Scaled up a single-threaded desktop engine into a multi-threaded server application
- Laid the foundation for SmarTeams XML support From June 1997 to August 2000 (3 years 3 months) Chief Software Architect @ Responsible for the entire lifecycle (design, development, testing, deployment, support and operation) of a distributed Geographical Information System deployed at multiple military and industrial customers.
Led the development of the following technologies:
- Object-Relational Mapping (ORM) database engine
-- Metadata driven, Industrial-strength, GIS-enabled
- Declarative GUI
- GIS data processing engine & GIS GUI (vector and raster images and maps)
- Archiving and processing solutions for Very Large Data Files
Initially part of the R&D unit of the Intelligence Corps; Later, played major role in the creation of a new software development organization.
Led special projects abroad.
Awarded "Head Intelligence Corps Award for Creative Thinking". From September 1995 to September 1999 (4 years 1 month) Developer, Partner @ Designed and implemented innovative solutions for:
* Hypertext single-source authoring and viewing
* Web application development
* Web based e-learning From January 1994 to January 1997 (3 years 1 month) Developer @ Designed and developed a report designer specializing in mining and analyzing performance and transactions data from mainframe-class systems. From 1991 to 1995 (4 years) Developer @ Designed and developed telephony solutions based on specialized hardware used by commercial for automatic mass telemarketing, phone-based orders, contacts management. From January 1989 to 1991 (2 years)
BSc, Computer Science @ Technion - Israel Institute of Technology From 1991 to 1995 Yaniv Golan is skilled in: Product Management, Product Development, Start-ups, Media Analysis, Entrepreneurship, Quality Assurance, Mobile Devices, Marketing, Business Intelligence, Online Marketing, Business Development, Management, Strategic Partnerships, User Experience, Strategy