Associate: Equity and Portfolio Advanced Specialist Desk, Analytics Department @ Bloomberg
MSc, Finance and Investments @
Cass Business School
I work at Northern Trust as Vice President for Investment Risk and Investment Compliance. My job is a complete end-to-end redesign of Northern Trust’s investment compliance monitoring service for asset owners. The main objective is to add new guideline categories, such as ex-post and ex-ante risk, performance, regulatory, ESG/SRI etc. This exciting project is the biggest enhancement
I work at Northern Trust as Vice President for Investment Risk and Investment Compliance. My job is a complete end-to-end redesign of Northern Trust’s investment compliance monitoring service for asset owners. The main objective is to add new guideline categories, such as ex-post and ex-ante risk, performance, regulatory, ESG/SRI etc. This exciting project is the biggest enhancement of the service since it was launched back in the 90’s and requires solid financial and risk expertise coupled with self-starter and entrepreneurial attitude. The end-goal is not rigidly defined; the project comes with an element of serendipity, which makes it all the more interesting. The new service will not just enhance the offering for existing clients, but is expected to substantially increase the size of the business.
Prior to joining Northern Trust, I spent nearly 7 years with financial data and portfolio analytics providers, helping clients interpret their portfolios’ performance, attribution, and risk.
Education-wise, I completed Master’s in Finance at London Business School in 2011. From 2012 to 2015 I have studied for FRM and CFA designations; I obtained FRM designation in 2014 and CFA designation in 2015.
I am passionate about learning and development. Having completed two demanding financial qualifications, I am now planning further self-study. I am keen on broadening my risk, ESG/SRI investments, technology, and quantitative knowledge.
Specialties and experience: I have been very fortunate to work at the intersection of two fascinating industries, finance and technology, as they’re becoming linked ever more closely. I gained solid, multi-asset class generalist experience, coupled with specialist risk and investments knowledge.
Areas of interest: risk (market and credit, quantitative ; both from buy-side and sell-side angles), investments (particularly ESG/SRI), behavioural finance, technology, entrepreneurship.
Investment Risk and Investment Compliance Vice President @ - Investment Compliance: worked, as one of key stakeholders globally, on end-to-end review and redesign of Northern Trust’s investment compliance monitoring service for asset owners. The service assists asset owners in investment decisions such as manager selection, asset allocation, asset concentration, SRI etc. Analyzed the compliance service with the aim to introduce more rule sets (liquidity, ex-ante risk, performance, SRI/ESG, regulatory, active de-risking), and to increase the breadth, depth, and market share of the business. Elicited, analyzed, and synthesized feedback from multiple stakeholders globally.
- Liquidity Risk: reviewed, critiqued, and made contributions to analytical methodology of Northern Trust’s new multi-asset liquidity risk service for asset managers and ManCos. Price and volume sources and assumptions, liquidity scores, liquidity stress tests. Recalculated parts of the engine in Excel to confirm and prove-out correctness of calculations.
- Regulatory compliance: followed ongoing regulatory developments (UCITS V, AIFMD, MIFID II, EMIR, 2a-7).
- Strategy: researched and proposed strategic service roadmap (prioritisation, gaps, cost-benefit analysis).
- Research: researched and summarised global trends and developments in risk management and investment compliance, analyzed competitors, documented developments in custody business for quarterly internal publication.
- Technology: regularly liaised with systems department to ensure that proposed business and analytical changes are feasible and compatible with existing architecture. Conducted detailed analysis of how introducing additional data vendors will impact the delivery of the service.
- Client communication: covered risk and compliance service offering in RFPs for institutional and government clients.
- Documentation: Wrote internal and client-facing product copy. From October 2014 to Present (1 year 3 months) London, United KingdomStatPro Revolution Business Analyst @ - Worked on development of Revolution portfolio analytics system from business and methodology perspectives. Helped evaluate, implement, and apply financial and statistical data and methodologies to the system.
- Risk: Historical VaR simulation, stress tests, liquidity risk (bid/ask, ownership, nominal). Gained extensive market (VaR, VaR backtesting, liquidity risk, stressed VaR, power law, ES, risk profiles of instruments with linear and non-linear payout profiles) and credit (PD, LGD, credit VaR, distance to default, DV01, KRD, counterparty risk: CVA, EE, PFE, EPE, netting) risk knowledge from the FRM curriculum.
- Stress testing: analyzed and helped maintain a list of approx 1,200 stress tests for the VaR approach Compliance module.
- Multi-asset experience: equities, equity derivatives (ETD/OTC: options, CFDs, futures), fixed income, FI derivatives (ETD/OTC: bond futures, CDSes, swaps), forwards and deposits, options (Greeks), cash, custom securities.
- Regulation and compliance: tested and documented risk limits monitoring module (UCITS IV and AIF).
- Analytical skills: analyzed, challenged, and proposed alternative approaches towards calculating short positions returns, % and monetary VaR for options, delta for penny stocks, and upload convention for CDSes, leading to a number of small yet important changes in system methodology. Prepared multiple prove-outs for the Revolution Support Forum. From November 2011 to April 2014 (2 years 6 months) London, United KingdomAssociate: Equity and Portfolio Advanced Specialist Desk, Analytics Department @ - Helped Bloomberg’s buy-side clients understand and interpret their portfolios’ performance, attribution, and risk. Analysed portfolio characteristics using Bloomberg terminal and helped the clients interpret the data.
- Verbal communication: ran internal and external trainings. Taught to audiences of up to 100+ people.
- Client-facing experience: acted as direct point of contact for a number of London- and Poland-based buy-side clients.
- Product specialist: gained proficiency in portfolio and equity functionality of the Bloomberg terminal.
- Internal relationships: developed an internal network of hundreds of colleagues across analytics, sales, IT, risk and data.
- Manage relationships within Risk Management analytics client base: acted as direct point of contact for a number of London- and Poland-based buy-side clients.
- Proactively engage with clients: frequently communicated with buy-side clients to check their usage and feedback on the product. Booked follow-up meetings, and passed the feedback to account managers and business developers.
- Coaching and mentoring: trained graduate hires (approx 20 every 3 months), mentored them upon joining the Analytics desk. From August 2010 to October 2011 (1 year 3 months) Analyst: Equity and Portfolio Specialist in Bloomberg Analytics @ - Assisted clients with queries regarding equity and portfolio analytics on Bloomberg terminal.
- Experience in dealing with clients under stress; provided real-time solutions such as tailor-made spreadsheets, stock screenings, fund searches, customised peer comparisons.
- Founder of portfolio focus group, created to increase portfolio analytics knowledge among Bloomberg Analytics staff. Prepared and hosted weekly trainings. Within 6 months of creation the group has grown to over twenty people on 2 levels of proficiency.
- Actively contributed to development of Bloomberg’s portfolio functionality. From November 2008 to August 2010 (1 year 10 months) Analyst: Generalist, Bloomberg Analytics @ - Assisted clients with general analytical queries.
- Completed advanced four-week, full-time (160hrs) training covering different aspects of financial markets From October 2007 to November 2008 (1 year 2 months)
MiF, Finance @ London Business School From 2009 to 2011 MSc, Finance and Investments @ Cass Business School From 2008 to 2009 BA (Hons), Financial Studies @ Manchester Metropolitan University Business School From 2006 to 2007 Wojtek FRM is skilled in: Bloomberg Terminal, Bloomberg Alpha product, StatPro Revolution, Morningstar, Morningstar API, Group Presentations, Customer Presentations, Quantitative, Business Analysis, Data Analysis, Salesforce.com, Sales Support, Highly Analytical, Objection Handling, Corporate Communications