Successful venture capitalist with 19+ years of broad professional experience. Extensive corporate development experience building and leading venture capital, merger & acquisition, joint venture and intellectual property programs. Strong relationship skills for establishing and managing critical external and internal network for deal flow. Diverse background with Fortune 130 and early-stage venture companies. Complimentary leadership roles in corporate
Successful venture capitalist with 19+ years of broad professional experience. Extensive corporate development experience building and leading venture capital, merger & acquisition, joint venture and intellectual property programs. Strong relationship skills for establishing and managing critical external and internal network for deal flow. Diverse background with Fortune 130 and early-stage venture companies. Complimentary leadership roles in corporate strategy and as general counsel.
Specialties: Over $650M in venture capital and M&A transactions. Created and executed corporate development function including $330M+ strategic venture capital program. Led the design and implementation of enterprise wide strategy and transformation programs. Instituted and managed in-house general counsel practices for growth stage and Fortune 130 companies.
Investor, Advisor, Mentor, Consultant & Entrepreneur Advocate @ FinTech, Consumer, Digital and Enterprise From September 2015 to Present (4 months) USAA Portfolio Investment @ USAA Corporate Development, Venture Portfolio Investment From September 2015 to September 2015 (1 month) San Francisco Bay AreaUSAA Portfolio Investment @ USAA Corporate Development, Venture Portfolio Investment From April 2015 to September 2015 (6 months) San Francisco Bay AreaBoard Member @ USAA Corporate Development, Venture Portfolio Investment From April 2015 to September 2015 (6 months) Greater Salt Lake City AreaBoard of Advisors @ USAA Corporate Development, Venture Portfolio Investment From January 2015 to September 2015 (9 months) San Francisco Bay AreaUSAA Porfolio Investment @ USAA Corporate Development, Venture Portfolio Investment From December 2014 to September 2015 (10 months) Greater New York City AreaBoard Observer @ USAA Corporate Development, Venture Portfolio Investment From November 2014 to September 2015 (11 months) San Francisco Bay AreaBoard Member @ USAA, Corporate Development, Venture Portfolio Investment From November 2014 to September 2015 (11 months) Greater Chicago AreaUSAA Portfolio Investment @ USAA Corporate Development investment, Venture Portfolio Investment From October 2014 to September 2015 (1 year) San Francisco Bay AreaBoard Observer @ USAA Corporate Development, Venture Portfolio Investment From October 2014 to September 2015 (1 year) San Francisco Bay AreaBoard Member @ USAA, Corporate Development, Venture Portfolio Investment From June 2014 to September 2015 (1 year 4 months) San Francisco Bay AreaUSAA Portfolio Investment @ USAA Corporate Development, Venture Portfolio Investment From June 2014 to September 2015 (1 year 4 months) Cary, NCUSAA Portfolio Investment @ USAA Corporate Development, Venture Portfolio Investment From April 2014 to September 2015 (1 year 6 months) San Francisco Bay AreaUSAA Portfolio Investment @ USAA Corporate Development investment From April 2014 to September 2015 (1 year 6 months) San Francisco Bay AreaBoard Member @ USAA Corporate Development, Venture Portfolio Investment From February 2014 to September 2015 (1 year 8 months) Washington D.C. Metro AreaBoard Member @ USAA, Corporate Development From September 2013 to September 2015 (2 years 1 month) ChicagoHead of Corporate Development @ Hand-picked by CFO and EVP of Strategy & Planning to drive execution & enablement of corp dev capabilities.
- Venture Fund Management: Managed $330M strategic venture capital program. Stage agnostic with emphasis on A/B. Sectors: Fintech, consumer, internet, enterprise & digital. $2 to $20M/ round, $4 to $50M/ company. Generally lead investor with active board participation. Developed 22 portfolio companies, invested $185M, generated IRR > 30%. Enterprise lead to discern disruptive models, industry trends and next generation technologies.
- Organizational Development: Established & structured corporate development function; created & implemented all necessary enterprise processes and procedures. Recruited team members; set personnel requirements, training & career development. Formulated & revised best practices and repeatable processes. Regular briefings to the Chairman, VChair, CEO & Executive Council. Responsible for the identification, evaluation, planning/ integration of venture investments, M&A, IP deals & JVs.
- Investment Decision Analysis: Justified & presented business drivers & financial analysis of opportunities to investment committee. Strategic advisor on corp dev opportunities to fill strategic & operational gaps.
Portfolio/ Board Representation:
- TrueCar (NASDAQ: TRUE)
- Care.com (NYSE: CRCM)
- Prosper Marketplace
- Roost Inc
- MX Enabled
- Narrative Science
- Personal Capital
- Repair Pal
- Expect Labs
- Automatic Labs
- Saffron Technologies
- Robin Systems
- Commerce Ventures
- Montage Ventures
- Cartera Commerce
- Innovation: Member of executive committee that reviewed, prioritized & selected innovations for development.
- Relationship Management: Built & nurtured external relationships with academic institutions, VC firms, incubators, bankers & strategic parties. Aligned with internal stakeholders for success. From January 2011 to September 2015 (4 years 9 months) Producer, Web Master, Web Designer @ Producer, designer and web master for the children's variety web show, E-Victor, with Victor Pascucci IV and Giovanna T. Pascucci. New shows produced every Sunday evening at www.victors-website.com From June 2012 to January 2015 (2 years 8 months) United StatesBoard Observer @ USAA Corporate Development, Venture Portfolio Investment From January 2011 to June 2014 (3 years 6 months) Austin, Texas AreaBoard Observer @ USAA Corporate Development, Venture Portfolio Investment From January 2011 to June 2014 (3 years 6 months) Greater Boston AreaBoard Member @ USAA Corporate Development, Venture Portfolio Investment From June 2010 to May 2014 (4 years) Greater Los Angeles AreaBoard Member @ USAA Corporate Development, Venture Portfolio Investment From September 2011 to February 2014 (2 years 6 months) Greater Boston AreaTransformation Executive, Assistant Vice President @ Selected by CEO and COO as one of three executives charged with transforming the company to a unified function model and organizational design to optimize all critical business capabilities. Held full accountability for business case development, investment analysis, and sequencing of development for capabilities/components of enterprise target operating mode. Created first enterprise-wide transformation plan consisting of $1+ billion of people, process, technology, and information initiatives that enabled enterprise alignment, prioritization, and pivotal strategic planning.
- Transformative Leadership: Led cross-functional team of 30+ senior executives from risk management, HR, finance, information technology, marketing, and competitive intelligence as well as business unit leaders for the refinement of a broad long-term strategy into a precise strategic course of action.
- Organizational Effectiveness: Improved organizational effectiveness and performance by leading development of new business models, re-engineering existing models, and retiring outdated models through process engineering, enterprise architecture, organizational design, and business architecture disciplines.
- Risk Management: Developed first enterprise chief risk office and integrated department with all lines of business, ensured regulatory compliance, and aligned with strategic goals. From November 2009 to January 2011 (1 year 3 months) Enterprise Operations Counsel, Assistant Vice President @ Recruited by the Corporate Counsel to be lead attorney for all operational legal advice and transactional services for IT, InfoSec, open source software, corporate security, procurement, competitive intelligence, fraud/AML, internal audit, and enterprise risk management divisions. Dedicated counsel to CIO,CISO, and CTO. Led structuring, negotiation, and execution of numerous multimillion dollar strategic corporate transactions.
- Intellectual Property Portfolio: Appointed by the Deputy General Counsel to manage and lead four IP attorneys, four paralegals, and several international IP law firms ($4 million annual outside counsel budget) in redesign of all operational processes and strategies for development and protection of all forms of IP (patent, trademark, copyright, trade secrets) culminating in the largest IP portfolio in financial services.
- Technology Transactions: Structured and negotiated innumerable multimillion dollar technology transactions, including software licensees, reseller agreements, joint development agreements, virtual joint ventures, web services agreements, IT services contracts, outsourcing agreements, staff augmentation and custom application development agreements.
- Mergers & Acquisitions: Served as lead attorney for structuring, negotiating, and executing strategic corporate transactions, including equity investments, acquisitions, and joint ventures. Led acquisition of $3 million mortgage company, $10 million technology provider investment, $4 million data aggregation company, and $6 million mortgage operations joint venture.
- Policy Development: Drafted and implemented enterprise-wide policies and practices for data breach incidents, IT security, attorney-client privilege, electronic discovery, privacy, and general counsel operational practices.
- Dispute Resolution: Resolved internal and external disputes related to ownership of intellectual property rights, audits, scope of license grants, privacy matters, and security issues. From June 2006 to January 2010 (3 years 8 months) General Counsel, Secretary @ Played key role in negotiating, structuring, and integrating Spirian after its acquisition; was the sole executive retained by SecureInfo. Promoted to corporate secretary. Managed combined staff of 10 from sales operations, human resources, and IT security. Advised Board of Directors and Executive Council on all material legal, transactional, & corporate governance matters. Structured $20M+ in M&A, and strategic technology transactions, $30M+ VC deals.
- Corporate Development & Strategic Planning: Drafted and structured multimillion dollar joint venture agreement with multinational integration companies and small/disadvantaged businesses. Established all invention development processes and intellectual property strategies. Coordinated federal and state lobbying; drafted legislation and responded to government investigations. Negotiated investment banking relationship.
- Agreement Development: Developed corporate teaming and partner agreement structure, including reseller agreements, joint development agreements, and confidentiality agreements; negotiated OEM agreements.
- Transactions: Administered and negotiated a $250M cyber security managed services contract with federal government civilian agency.
- Finance & Securities: Managed rescission offer, $25M venture capital financing, $10M Nortel strategic corporate venture investment, $3M secured debt, and investment banking agreements.
- Contract Management: Oversaw all employment agreements, equipment leases, real estate leases, and vendor contracts, including web development, web hosting, software development, and consulting.
- Software Licenses: Structured and provided advice on a multitude of multimillion dollar enterprise-wide software licenses and IT services agreements with both private and public sectors.
- Litigation Management: Managed $10M litigation budget; set strategy, managed outside counsel, and coordinated all litigation, including civil RICO, IP infringement, and employee/shareholder disputes. From October 2003 to June 2006 (2 years 9 months) General Counsel, Director of Corporate Development @ Recruited by CEO as first General Counsel to play key role in company’s aggressive growth and position it for sale. Provided counsel to the CEO on all critical and confidential strategic matters. Established corporate legal function including all legal processes and strategies. Generated million dollar increase in revenue through sales channel, resellers, and technology partners.
- Transactions: Managed $30 million in venture capital financings, $2 million senior secured loan, $1.8 million convertible debt offering, $2 million joint development agreement with a Fortune 500 networking company, $5 million IT services agreement with Fortune 100 financial institution, and $1.2 million enterprise software license with Fortune 500 computer manufacturer.
- Litigation: Protected company’s IP and contract rights. Managed litigation involving employee disputes, theft of trade secrets, tortuous interference with contract, and breach of contract.
- Corporate Development: Developed channel sales, reseller opportunities, and technology partner agreements that resulted in million dollar increase in sales revenue and improved product functionality. From May 2002 to October 2003 (1 year 6 months) Managing Director @ Founding partner for boutique law firm, concentrating on representing technology based businesses and investors in those businesses
- Founding partner, built law firm from 0 clients to 75 active client matters.
- Managed all business development, client acquisition and marketing, including public speaking engagements and publishing activities, responsible for 90% of all business generation.
- Advised on venture capital financing (approximately $150M), entity formation, technology transfer and commercialization, software licensing, trademark prosecution and employment agreements
- Illinois Development Finance Authority – Technology Development Bridge, investment committee advisor for all state early stage seed investments
- Initiated and orchestrated a merger with another Chicago-area law firm From February 2001 to July 2002 (1 year 6 months) Senior Litigation Associate @ Litigation associate representing insurance companies and their insureds in suspect property and casualty claims; established precedent setting motion practice. From October 1997 to February 2001 (3 years 5 months) Trial Attorney @ - Over 40 victorious jury verdicts, extensive arbitration and discovery practice
- Achieved record setting civil jury verdict volume
- Undefeated trail record for insurance defense bodily injury cases From March 1995 to October 1997 (2 years 8 months)
Juris Doctorate, Law @ University of Toledo College of Law From 1992 to 1994 BAC, Communications @ Bowling Green State University From 1988 to 1992 Certificate, Ecommerce @ Illinois Institute of Technology From 2001 to 2001 Victor III is skilled in: Venture Capital, Corporate Development, Mergers, Deal Sourcing, Company Acquisitions, Intellectual Property, Joint Ventures, Technology Transactions, Financial Technology, Consumer Internet, E-commerce, Technology Commercialization, Due Diligence, Deal Structuring, Software Licensing
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension