Managing Director, Customer Systems @ My team and I are responsible for the airline's web site (AlaskaAir.com), mobile apps and the software that empowers agents to provide excellent customer service over the phone, at the airport and in-flight. From August 2013 to Present (2 years 3 months) Greater Seattle AreaVP Technology @ * Manage a team of
Managing Director, Customer Systems @ My team and I are responsible for the airline's web site (AlaskaAir.com), mobile apps and the software that empowers agents to provide excellent customer service over the phone, at the airport and in-flight. From August 2013 to Present (2 years 3 months) Greater Seattle AreaVP Technology @ * Manage a team of ~30 members with overall responsibility for software development, IT and product management functions.
* Primary product focus is on the Geocaching web and mobile presence and e-commerce/back-office supporting a global user base of over 5 million users hunting for nearly 2 million caches worldwide.
* In the first year, my focus was on improving delivery through an agile development methodology, raising quality standards, adding key talent to the team and furthering efforts toward a service-oriented architecture.
* Some key team wins include:
- Increasing the star rating of Geocaching.com for iPhone to 5 stars by responding to user feedback and improving the application's speed and stability.
- Improving localization of our mobile and web apps to account for a large and growing international user base
- Achieving PCI compliance
- Beginning development of Business Intelligence (BI) infrastructure to improve our ability to make data-driven decisions From January 2012 to August 2013 (1 year 8 months) Greater Seattle AreaChief Technology Officer @ * Executive level technology leader responsible for delivering the software and IT infrastructure to meet business challenges in a fast paced e-commerce startup environment. Autoquake was an award-winning company that used technology to improve the way used cars are sourced, priced, marketed and sold.
* Rebuilt and re-energized the software development and IT operations teams. Set new staffing standards and re-recruited more than half of the team while aggressively managing out poor performers and terminating a dysfunctional outsourcing relationship. Consistently received high marks directly from employees in formal surveys.
* Implemented an agile software development methodology with a strong focus on predictable, iterative delivery of business value from the technology team. Drove adoption of best-practices for planning, prioritizing, constructing and testing software deliverables.
* Improved reliability of the software platform and infrastructure by implementing monitoring and alerting, prioritizing efforts that reduced support costs, and investing in increased resilience of physical site infrastructure. This resulted in noticeably reduced downtime for internal and external customers.
* Pioneered adoption of public cloud infrastructure resulting in ~20% cost savings in data center expenditure.
* Spearheaded use of A/B Testing to measure the value of web features resulting in significantly improved conversion in multiple steps of the shopping path.
* Created business intelligence infrastructure that was noteworthy for the automotive industry. This included deploying data harvesting technology to gather information from suppliers and competitors and combining the information into a comprehensive data warehouse for use in stock selection and pricing. From September 2009 to March 2011 (1 year 7 months) Vice President, Engineering @ From March 2009 to September 2009 (7 months) Sr. Director of European Product Development @ * Responsible for all software development activities for the customer experience of Expedia’s branded and private-label business in Europe.
* Managed a geographically distributed team located primarily in Seattle and London with a 2008 budget of $9.5 million. Grew the team to ~70 people in 2008 with a significant investment in offshore resources.
* Member of Expedia’s European Leadership team where I provided technology strategy based on business needs and technical due diligence for partnerships and acquisitions.
* Responsible for delivering Expedia’s global technology investment in improved Search Engine Optimization (SEO) which resulted in a > 40% increase in gross bookings from the SEO channel in Q109.
* Drove an initiative to modernize our software presentation infrastructure to allow features such as our Hotel Comparison tool to be more quickly developed at a lower cost. This effort became a pillar of a larger, global effort to modernize Expedia’s architecture.
* Provided the development support to increase the number of countries in which Expedia offers a branded web site from 5 to 11. Reduced development costs for new countries by ~25% to empower the business to more easily expand into new countries.
* For much of 2007, served as interim VP of Product Strategy for Europe responsible for prioritizing and funding software development projects. During this time I simplified the product initiation process by creating straightforward deliverables and criteria to ensure only the highest priority projects received resources. From October 2005 to March 2009 (3 years 6 months) Group Manager @ From July 2004 to October 2005 (1 year 4 months) Group Program Manager @ From December 2003 to July 2004 (8 months) Program Manager @ From August 2002 to December 2003 (1 year 5 months) VP of Product Management @ * Responsible for delivery of a complex Windows-based authoring environment targeted at developers of wireless Internet applications.
* Directly managed all aspects of Product/Program Management, Test and Documentation for the business with a team of three direct reports and a cross-functional team of 16.
* Coordinated and captured team’s brainstorming efforts and wrote the resulting product specification.
* Executed a four-milestone product plan governing all aspects of the product life cycle. Met all scheduled release dates with a quality offering, culminating in the product launch in October 2001.
* Participated extensively in fund raising and business development efforts as the technical expert. Created targeted demos and regularly presented on technical subjects to potential investors, analysts and the media.
* Managed effort to repackage core technologies as an SDK offering to allow them to be sold independent of core offering.
* Served as Project and Account Manager for licensees of Intava technology. Managed effort to re-purpose core offering as a development environment for a publicly traded company’s server platform. From September 2000 to July 2002 (1 year 11 months) Product Manager @ * Product Manager for company’s flagship Internet billing product, which allows companies to present their bills online to consumers.
* Gathered market requirements and created plan for the next generation of product. This initiative laid the framework that allowed the product to evolve from serving small consumer bills to delivering those of large businesses in a scalable way.
* Participated regularly in sales efforts serving as the senior technical contact. Was instrumental in closing a multi-million dollar sale to a major European telecommunications company. From February 2000 to September 2000 (8 months) Program Manager @ * Managed daily operation of MSN Mobile, a high visibility web-based portal for wireless devices.
* Served as the product team liaison to operations organization; developed site monitoring requirements, capacity planning and ensured resource availability for production and test environments.
* Managed process for detecting and resolving failures in production environment; coordinated development of troubleshooting materials and provided product education for systems engineer.
* Responsible for customer service offering provided by third-party organization; coordinated development of training materials, monitored quality of assistance and managed escalation process.
* Developed functional specifications for web-based support tools to be used by support representatives.
* Responsible for driving patch development process to correct issues with live web site. From May 1999 to February 2000 (10 months) Director of Technical Services @ * Coordinated technical aspects of business including managing the data center operations and ensuring quality and reliability of service.
* Implemented and managed support offering to assist users of web-based wireless information services.
* Developed functional specifications for push and on-demand information services.
* Authored online and hard copy product documentation, tech notes and FAQ.
* Negotiated contracts and managed relationships with third-party content providers. From November 1998 to May 1999 (7 months) Product Manager @ * Managed product life cycle of two-tier and three-tier Windows-based document management products.
* Coordinated development, documentation, support and marketing teams toward product release goals.
* Developed requirements for future product offerings.
* Managed relationships with key clients to understand ongoing customer requirements. From December 1997 to November 1998 (1 year)
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension