Application Architecture & Production Maintenance Developer/Business Analyst @ Accenture Porting Service
Calculation Processor/VBA Developer @ Prudential
University of Wisconsin-Superior
My name is Tom Barthen & I'm a software developer specializing in application development with Java & JEE technologies. I have been working in software development for over 12 years now, & for the last 5+ years, I’ve been highly focused on Java. My industry experience thus far includes 7 years in Telecom, & 8+ years in
My name is Tom Barthen & I'm a software developer specializing in application development with Java & JEE technologies. I have been working in software development for over 12 years now, & for the last 5+ years, I’ve been highly focused on Java. My industry experience thus far includes 7 years in Telecom, & 8+ years in Pension & Retirement systems.
In my first job out of college, I worked doing manual calculations for an insurance company relying mainly on pencil, paper, & calculator. This work was tedious & error-prone, & I couldn't resist finding a way to automate it. I took it upon myself to learn Visual Basic with Microsoft Excel (VBA), & in a matter of weeks, I came up with a suite of tools which did my job nearly 10 times faster, & with 100% accuracy.
This experience inspired me to return to school to learn computer programming, & I’ve been trying to automate everything I do ever since.
Throughout my career, my language experience has progressed from using C++, to C#, & now Java. I have worked through all phases of the software development life cycle on multiple projects, from requirements gathering, through production maintenance. Although my primary role has been as a developer, I have also spent time acting as business analyst, technical writer, tester, build coordinator, trainer, & team lead.
This experience has given me the unique ability to understand & appreciate the business needs & perspectives across many different roles of a software development team.
Today, my passion remains in software development. I love designing & creating things as well as solving problems, & I also enjoy teaching & learning from others who share an interest in my craft. Every day I try to learn something new through reading, practice, & discussions with my colleagues, & am increasingly hungry to learn more. In my career, I aspire to master the concepts & techniques of software development and at the same time, find ways to contribute my own ideas to this evolving field.
Senior Java Developer @ From 2007 to Present (8 years) Application Architecture & Production Maintenance Developer/Business Analyst @ Designed, developed, and executed components and technical architecture of an Interconnect Exchange system for ordering and provisioning of local telecommunications services between telephone companies.
• Created two web service simulators using gSOAP with C++, SOAP, and SSL
• Designed and developed client's primary BizTalk Server map, establishing a new model for all future maps, and cutting in half the time required for analyzing/debugging them
• Attained 30% to 50% reduction in average query times by optimizing complex SQL queries used to pull order data from a client’s DB2 system
• Configured Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) on multiple UNIX servers for trading partner connectivity testing
• Trained and mentored 5 person production maintenance team on BizTalk when it replaced the old system
• Worked in collaboration with counterparts in Philippines, from project inception through project completion From October 2000 to October 2007 (7 years 1 month) Calculation Processor/VBA Developer @ Performed complex calculations on life insurance policies related to premiums, dividends, benefits, loans, taxes, and miscellaneous charges. Functioned as a quality assurance checker for other calculation processors. Assumed secondary role in designing and developing VBA applications used to automate and simplify these calculations. From 1997 to 2000 (3 years)
Microsoft Certified Solutions Developer (MCSD) @ KRS Computer and Business School From 1999 to 2000 BA @ University of Wisconsin-Superior From 1991 to 1996 Tom Barthen is skilled in: Web Services, Java, Unix, Regular Expressions, J2EE Application Development, Spring, XML, SQL, Object Oriented Design, Eclipse, Oracle Weblogic Server, Oracle RDBMS, Toad, ClearCase, Microsoft SQL Server, JSP development, JUnit
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension