Senior Vice President- Charter School Facilities Finance @ Ziegler
Founder & Principal @ The Sixth Degree, Inc.
VP of Admissions, Colorado Technical University @ Career Education Corporation
BA, Government & International Studies @
University of Notre Dame
John “Tiny” McLaughlin joined the Ziegler Charter School Finance team in 2013. Tiny is a veteran of the charter schools movement in Illinois and is passionate about education reform. He first became active in 1994 as a result of Congress’ Base Realignment and Closure Commission. As Aide to the Commander of Naval Training Center Great Lakes, Tiny
John “Tiny” McLaughlin joined the Ziegler Charter School Finance team in 2013. Tiny is a veteran of the charter schools movement in Illinois and is passionate about education reform. He first became active in 1994 as a result of Congress’ Base Realignment and Closure Commission. As Aide to the Commander of Naval Training Center Great Lakes, Tiny became intimately involved with North Chicago-District 187’s failing school system. It was here he became aware of the massive disparities in education quality and the systemic barriers to improvement.
Upon leaving the Navy, Tiny joined the staff of the Alain Locke Charter School. There he oversaw organizational restructuring that resulted in Alain Locke posting the largest testing gains within the Chicago Public Schools system for two years in a row.
While at Alain Locke, Tiny also secured debt financing and oversaw the rehabilitation of facilities that allowed the school to double its enrollment. Tiny has held a variety of leadership roles within or for Aon Risk Services, Textura Corporation, The Sixth Degree Inc, Sterling Partners, Two Party System Inc and Incentis LLC. Tiny received his MBA. with concentrations in finance and accounting from the Kellogg School at Northwestern University and a B.A. in political science from the University of Notre Dame.
Tiny served twelve years of active duty in the US Navy as an aircraft carrier-based Combat Search & Rescue Pilot. He is currently a director on the board of the Alain Locke Charter School and was previously a director for St. Clement Catholic School, both in Chicago, Illinois. Tiny has also served as an advisor/selector for the Inner-City Teaching Corps, New Leaders for New Schools, and Chicago Community Ventures.
B.C. Ziegler and Company | Member SIPC (www.sipc.org) & FINRA (www.finra.org) Third party posts on this profile may not reflect the views of B.C. Ziegler and Company and have not been reviewed for accuracy or completeness.
Senior Vice President- Charter School Facilities Finance @ Securing debt financing to meet the facilities needs of public charter schools and their students. From March 2013 to Present (2 years 10 months) Founder & Principal @ Engaged by $4 billon private equity firm to deliver a high-potential, talent development program that would accelerate growth and reduce time to liquidity events following successive failures by an internal professional and a blue-chip consulting firm.
• Delivered a turn-key program in only 9-months that leverages the private equity industry’s cachet and has attracted 42 extraordinary young leaders to positions in portfolio companies they would not otherwise consider.
• Because of the program’s success, the firm now highlights it in all marketing materials for differentiation purposes with investors, sellers and talent within the private equity industry. From May 2008 to February 2013 (4 years 10 months) VP of Admissions, Colorado Technical University @ Hired as general manager of a 300-employee business unit responsible for generating over 60% of the university’s profits in a period of unprecedented attacks on the industry by federal regulators and short-selling investors.
• Achieved 30% operating profit on revenues of $220 million and reduced employee turnover by more than 50% while industry competitors were experiencing record losses.
• Shifted from an autonomous, incentives driven organization to a customer-focused culture emphasizing organizational compliance and individual accountability by overhauling hiring, training, employee evaluation and compensation practices. From August 2010 to July 2011 (1 year) Director, Marketing & Strategic Partnerships @ EARLY-STAGE TECHNOLOGY FIRM SHUT OUT OF LUCRATIVE MARKETS. Engaged to overcome the industry inertia and technical challenges that drove title insurer to block the introduction of technology with the potential to revolutionize construction payment & risk mitigation processes across the globe.
• Led an end-to-end assessment of the firm’s processes and delivered a white paper detailing all legal, technology and procedural controls which resulted in approval from the title insurance industry in formerly blocked markets.
• Expanded the firm’s value proposition to lenders, sureties and title insurers thereby expanding the marketplace for the technology by more than $1 billion.
• Built a strategic partnership with the title insurer that had previously blocked the technology and created an avenue to generate incremental revenues in excess of $8 million per year. From March 2007 to April 2008 (1 year 2 months) Broker @ Aon is the leading global provider of risk management services, insurance & reinsurance brokerage and human capital consulting with more than 36,000 employees and locations in 120 countries.
• Created strategic relationship with Textura Corporation in April 2006 that culminated in a $10 million equity investment by Aon and has resulted in a 50% business revenue return to date.
• Syndicated more than $1 billion of executive risk for client companies. From December 2003 to February 2007 (3 years 3 months) Vice President @ Hired as an executive at the parent organization of a charter school in Chicago’s highest crime district that was in danger of being shut down for poor academic performance.
• Led the transition from an ambiguous and untested education model to a rigorous, fundamentals-focused school with significant enrichment activities to motivate students.
• Hired new principal, assistant principal and turned over more than 60% of the faculty.
• Posted highest test score gains in Chicago Public Schools system for two years in a row.
• One of only six high-poverty urban schools nation-wide to be recognized by US Dept of Education for "Closing the Achievement Gap." . From July 2001 to December 2003 (2 years 6 months) Naval Officer & Aviator @ Helicopter Aircraft Commander, Combat Search & Rescue Pilot- Operation Southern Watch & North Korea Contingency Operations.
Directed the military training of over 25,000 new Sailors annually. Revamped the curriculum and established the operational policies for ongoing military training throughout the Navy while overseeing all non-technical training and quality assurance measures for a staff of more than 900 military personnel.
Chosen to lead an aircraft carrier-based maintenance department following failure of annual maintenance & safety certification inspection.
• Revamped squadron training regimen and assigned under-performing manager-technicians to work for more junior supervisors demonstrating high potential and motivation.
• Identified and publicized leading performance indicators on a daily basis.
• Exceeded all operational goals and awarded “Golden Wrench” for best squadron maintenance department in the Pacific Fleet.
Director Military Training/Operations Analyst, Great Lakes, IL- October 1998 to June 2001
Aircraft Maintenance Officer, San Diego, CA- January 1996 to October 1998
Aide to the Commander, Great Lakes, IL- October 1994 to December 1995
Administrative Officer/Aircrew Officer, Atsugi, Japan- January 1992 – October 1994
Helicopter Combat Aircraft Commander, Worldwide Operations- February 1992 – June 2001
Student Naval Aviator , Pensacola, FL- May 1989 - February 1992 From May 1989 to June 2001 (12 years 2 months)
MBA, Finance & Accounting @ Northwestern University - Kellogg School of Management From 1999 to 2002 BA, Government & International Studies @ University of Notre Dame From 1985 to 1989 High School Diploma, College/University Preparatory and Advanced High School/Secondary Diploma Program @ Jesuit High School of Tampa From 1981 to 1985 Tiny McLaughlin is skilled in: Strategy, Leadership, Management, Training, Competitive Analysis, Marketing, Strategic Partnerships, Strategic Planning, Team Building, Business Strategy, Risk Management, Leadership Development, Start-ups, Mergers & Acquisitions, Business Development
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension