Solid background in the forest management, wood product manufacturing, and finished good sales. My experiences have been rewarding in terms of breadth and depth across geographic and political regions, industry sectors, product lines, and organizational structure. Professional experiences include projects or roles in North America, Europe, UK, Scandinavia, Japan, and New Zealand. Within these regions I have
Solid background in the forest management, wood product manufacturing, and finished good sales. My experiences have been rewarding in terms of breadth and depth across geographic and political regions, industry sectors, product lines, and organizational structure. Professional experiences include projects or roles in North America, Europe, UK, Scandinavia, Japan, and New Zealand. Within these regions I have worked and/or managed in the following business process areas: silviculture, timber cruising/inventory, log scaling, contract timber management, logging, lumber, plywood, LVL, I-joists, window/door scantling, and particleboard. Roles in these processes have been based inside industry, external as a management consultant, and within government.
Specialties: General operations management, management system design, operational excellence, continuous improvement, wood-fibre and forest products, forest science, forest management, silviculture, R&D, international consulting, implementation, execution.
Plant Manager - Dillard Plywood @ Manage both the Hardwood Plywood and Softwood Plywood plants at Roseburg's Dillard, Oregon complex. From January 2015 to Present (10 months) Dillard, ORTechnical Manager - Solid Wood Division @ Oversee process optimization improvements, technology development, research and development, and ensure quality control consistency throughout the operations. Efforts are focused on plywood, lumber and EWP. Additionally, represent Roseburg in trade associations and solid wood industry affairs. From November 2013 to January 2015 (1 year 3 months) Roseburg, ORBusiness Analyst @ Analyze enterprise-wide value stream opportunities with subsequent design and implementation of initiatives core to profit maximization. Basic scope of initiatives include Corporate Strategy, Asset Planning, and OPEX focused on plywood, EWP, and sawn timber businesses. From November 2012 to October 2013 (1 year) Roseburg, ORPrincipal - Operational Excellence @ Develop business and manage multiple project teams working for clients across the entire forest product industry, specifically with regard to the implementation of redesigned management systems, measurement and reporting systems, execution, and balanced performance improvement. Although the role is primarily focused on implementation and operations management, business development and sales activities are represented in the position as well. Accountable for delivering guaranteed financial impacts.
Key project areas:
1) Log Procurement (Central Europe)
2) Lumber Sales (Scandinavia, Central Europe)
3) Operations and Maintenance Improvement in solid wood, panel, and window/door scantling manufacturing (Scandinavia, Central Europe) From March 2010 to September 2012 (2 years 7 months) Munich Area, GermanySenior Consultant @ Implement change, in a Project Lead role, at client sites within the forest products sector specifically with regard to management system redesign, analytical tool development, and performance improvement (PI). Accountable for delivering guaranteed financial impacts.
Key project areas:
1) Log Procurement management system implementation (Coastal PNW, Upper Midwest)
2) Return-to-log model development and implementation for sawmill procurement group (Coastal PNW)
3) Computerized Maintenance Management System design and implementation in sawmill manufacturing (Coastal PNW)
4) Quality, value, yield, production, maintenance management system design and implementation in sawmill and panel manufacturing (PNW, Upper Midwest) From November 2007 to March 2010 (2 years 5 months) Portland, Oregon AreaConsultant @ Implement change at client sites within the forest products sector specifically with regard to management system redesign, analytical tool development, and performance improvement.
Key project areas:
1) Business turnaround project for large scale logging contractor (Interior BC)
2) Performance audit of key log suppliers for corporate lease holder (Coastal BC)
3) Forest operations management system improvement (BC)
4) Independent harvesting rate determination (Interior BC)
5) Quality, value, yield management system design and implementation for sawmill client (Inland PNW) From August 2006 to November 2007 (1 year 4 months) Portland, Oregon AreaForester & Forest Analyst @ Provided general forestry services, technical services, and resource analysis to corporate and government clients. Experience in forest management, silviculture, harvesting, production planning, and valuation. Additional experience in project coordination, network IT, contract administration, personnel management, account management, and the design, implementation, and analysis of field/mill studies. From November 2002 to June 2006 (3 years 8 months) Rotorua, NZ
M.S., Silviculture @ Oregon State University From 2000 to 2002 B.S., Forest Management @ Oregon State University From 1996 to 2000 Ted Downs is skilled in: Forest Management, Forestry, Forest Products, Timber, Procurement, Pulp, Panels, Management Consulting, Operations Management, Financial Analysis, Financial Modeling, Quality Management, Lean Manufacturing, Sales Operations, Technical Consultation, Natural Resources, Performance Improvement, Biomass, Business Strategy, Operational Excellence, Wood, Manufacturing, Sustainability, Analysis, Leadership, Natural Resource..., Contract Management, Renewable Energy, Climate Change, Solar PV, Management, Strategic Planning, Continuous Improvement