Database Engineer; Java/J2EE Application Engineer Lead @ TEKsystems
Consulting Software Engineer @ Verisk
Bachelor of Science, Computer Science and Engineering @
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Transforming Productivity into Delivery
All phases of software applications development and support in the fields of publishing (electronic and paper); equity/derivatives trading; digital media management; online education; telecommunications systems (data and voice); retail/wholesale support systems; electronic commerce; and mobile devices. Emphasis on application server side engineering. Certified Scrum Master. Balanced emphasis on both the process and the
Transforming Productivity into Delivery
All phases of software applications development and support in the fields of publishing (electronic and paper); equity/derivatives trading; digital media management; online education; telecommunications systems (data and voice); retail/wholesale support systems; electronic commerce; and mobile devices. Emphasis on application server side engineering. Certified Scrum Master. Balanced emphasis on both the process and the product.
Specialties: Agile software development (XP, Scrum); Java (server-side emphasis); web services (SOAP, REST); Oracle, MySQL; WebSphere; Resin, Tomcat, JBoss; servlets, JEE; XML, JSON; test-driven development using JUnit; design patterns; artificial intelligence: rule-based and model-based expert systems; user interfaces; SOA; architecture design and implementation
Scrum Master -- Project Manager @ • Managing three distributed project teams that detect and report fraudulent activity in insurance claims: website, mobile applications, claim analytics.
• Designed and implemented agile engineering processes for a thirty person product program, including development workflow and defect management. From June 2015 to Present (7 months) Scrum Master - Software Engineer Coach @ • Created multistage competency models for agile practices (Scrum and test-driven development). These models specified three competency levels across each of 10–12 skills.
• Wrote and implemented strategic plans for improving agile development skills in credit risk technology.
• Coached two development teams (analysis and reporting software) on both individual and team levels. Individual coaching included pair programming to improve testing skills. (Java, Python, Jira) From November 2014 to February 2015 (4 months) Lead Java Engineer @ • Provided technical direction to a seventeen member B2B retail portal development team. Led a subteam of seven server-side developers.
• Developed web services for retail/reseller account management and product configuration. (Java, SOAP, REST, Oracle, SQL, XML, Hibernate, WebSphere, IBM RAD [Eclipse])
• As Scrum Master: facilitated adoption of agile development methods. (HP Agile Manager) Continually adjusted planning meetings, daily meetings, and retrospectives to the needs of a constantly changing distributed team. Steered team towards acceptance test driven development.
• Facilitated adoption of structured integrated and unit testing through group training and individual coaching. Led server-side (Java) code reviews.
• Consulted to other project teams on architectural and test-related issues, including B2C and financial services portals. From December 2013 to November 2014 (1 year) Senior Technical Project Manager @ • Introduced agile (Scrum) development at Pearson Technology. Major contributor to Pearson’s agile Project Development Life Cycle. (Rally, Confluence, Jira)
• Co-managing a globally distributed ninety-person project to deliver a corporate eCommerce platform: shared presentation component layer (Adobe CQ) and eCommerce service library (Java, Spring, Oracle, MongoDB). Designed release, sprint, and meeting schedules, including e.g. Scrum of Scrum meetings, to allow one Product Owner and one Product Manager to serve four development teams concurrently. As Scrum Master, managed interaction of off-team resources (infrastructure, application support, PMO) to minimize overhead on developers. Designed and published aggregate weekly report to stakeholders.
• Managed two (out of four) distributed teams (6-11 persons per team) re-engineering a consumer-facing website. Managed enhancement of two web service offerings: English language training, higher education resources (one team, 20 persons).
• Designed and built a mobile opportunistic learning application for English language students, and a mobile software project monitoring prototype. (Android, Java)• Led design and implementation of a defect management lifecycle for distributed teams. This lifecycle was used on multiple projects. From November 2011 to November 2013 (2 years 1 month) Greater New York City AreaApplication Architect @ • Developed web applications that match jobs, candidates, and recruiters. (Java, Spring, REST (Jersey), SOLR, Jetty, JSON, Maven, Clustrix)
• Designed and implemented web services that identify and manage significant aspects of relationships between objects.
• Designed and implemented an HTTP access log replay application that submits web requests on behalf of multiple clients in simulated real time. From July 2011 to November 2011 (5 months) Software Engineer @ • Scrum master and technical project manager for a distributed team of six developers.
• Developed a web application that provides a virtual classroom for public speaking courses: built a search engine for video comments, automated application build; implementing peer review of video assignments. (Java, Spring, REST, Lucene, WebLogic, XML, JSON, Ant, Maven, Oracle, Hudson) From March 2011 to July 2011 (5 months) Senior Developer - Director @ • Developed and maintained web applications for pricing and selling equity derivatives; created cross-application trade reporting feeds; extended quotation feeds among heterogeneous systems. (Java, Spring, Hibernate, XML, JSON, JMS, Ant, Thunderhead, XSLT, Apache, Tomcat, Linux)
• Scrum Master: implemented and facilitated development processes for a globally-distributed team of fifteen developers and testers. Implemented and compared several ways of partitioning this large team into two subteams (by customer market; by technical function; using multifunctional teams) for managing Scrum processes.
• Created a distributed user story estimation tool. (GWT, Java) From December 2009 to March 2011 (1 year 4 months) Senior Software Engineer @ • Developed digital asset management software, emphasizing server-side libraries: asset upload/download/publishing; application security; database operations. (Java, Flex, SOAP/CXF, REST/Enunciate, Spring, XML, Resin, Linux, Windows) Result: a second-generation web application providing a more approach to managing both digital assets (video, podcast, etc.) and website-based media players.
• Deployed an ESB (FUSE/ServiceMix) and developed a variety of OSGi bundles (Java, SOAP/CXF, JMS/ActiveMQ, Spring [DI, DM, AOP], JDBC): digital asset library management, application security, video site (via CDN) creation and population, analytics dataset generation, customized media player deployment. Result: a dynamically-updatable SOA integrating a variety of internal applications.
• Enterprise-wide practice and integration engineer: Designed and facilitated adoption of agile programming practices (Scrum, XP) and tools (ScrumWorks, Subversion, Maven, Nexus, TeamCity), resulting in on-time software delivery with nearly no reported bugs. Facilitated practice adoption by other project teams. Implemented a centralized project reporting framework (Confluence, TeamCity, ScrumWorks), providing distributed teams and stakeholders with access to detailed project status. Implemented test and —documentation standards. (JUnit, JMock, etc.; Eclipse, Javadoc, Confluence)
• Led teams of four developers; mentored junior developers.
• Completed professional services jobs (Java, Hibernate, iBatis). From February 2008 to December 2009 (1 year 11 months) Senior Developer @ • Designed and built web-based business process workflow editor, providing Internet-based graphical editing of SMS message processing protocols. (Java, GWT [AJAX], Spring, XWork/Velocity (Struts), jBPM/jPDL, XML, Hibernate, JBoss, MySQL, Linux, Windows)
• Built cell phone message activity / financial reports server, reducing monthly business report generation time from 1.5 days to 2 hours. (J2EE, SQL, BIRT, XML, Tomcat, MySQL, Linux, Windows) From June 2007 to January 2008 (8 months) Java Developer @ • Designed and prototyped an appointment negotiation manager for wireless devices. Appointments represent agreements among interesting parties, and follow a defined lifecycle driven by web messages. (Java, C++, XML, MySQL, Windows)
• Designed and built a railroad simulator for Palm devices. Product supports user-defined track layouts and multithreaded train operation. (C, PalmOS)
• Designed architecture allowing hospital physicians access to patient information via Palm handhelds. From September 2001 to May 2007 (5 years 9 months) Director of Engineering @ • Created engineering department and managed development process for three products (SlideShow Commander, Launch 'Em, ListMaker): $65,000 in sales. (C/C++, PalmOS, Windows)
• Implemented structured engineering techniques and processes, reducing develop cycle time by 40%. From November 2000 to August 2001 (10 months) Senior Systems Architect @ See Visual Networks. From April 1999 to October 2000 (1 year 7 months) Senior Systems Architect @ • Developed strategic product development proposals: open architecture API; transaction and communication
• security; carrier network modeling; performance management; data visualization; database partitioning,
• telephone switch management, voice over IP management; application modeling; handheld (wireless)
• network management terminal.
• Prototyped mapping between network models (CIM, XML, HTTP, Java, Windows); data visualization (Java, Windows); network alarm presentation on a handheld device (C++, Java, KJava, PalmOS); network performance normalcy analysis (SNMP, Java).
• Corporate liaison to the Distributed Management Task Force (DMTF): member Working Group on Interoperability. From April 1999 to October 2000 (1 year 7 months) Technical Project Manager / Technical Team Leader @ • Technical project manager: configured and deployed finance and human resources systems for non-profit organization. (Solomon IV, Raiser's Edge, Abra Suite, Windows, NetWare Server, Oracle)
• Quality assurance manager: managed testing program for communications system developed for financial services company. (C++, C, Neon) Project won Cambridge Gold Standard award.
• Technical lead / architect: redesigned supply chain systems at major food manufacturer. (TCP/IP, HTTP)
• Analyzed network/application monitoring requirements at securities analysis firm. (Lotus Notes)
• Designed expert system for customer analysis at medical insurance company. (ART, C, Unix) From 1997 to 1999 (2 years) Member of the Technical Staff @ • Developed expert systems applying circuit diagnosis knowledge to telephone line maintenance. Conducted system capacity studies. Reengineered system build processes, reducing time and hardware requirements. (Java, C, Lisp, ART, Solaris)
• Built business process simulation models for, and collaborated on process reengineering in:
o Video services operations. Built structural hypertext model of a proposed video delivery network. (StateMate, C, Oracle, Solaris)
o Voice and data circuit installation and maintenance. (SPARKS/G2)
• Conducted feasibility studies concerning the use of expert systems to identify and process delinquent customer accounts, and to diagnose faults during new telephone line installation. From October 1990 to February 1997 (6 years 5 months) Member of the Technical Staff @ See NYNEX Science and Technology. From October 1990 to February 1997 (6 years 5 months)
Bachelor of Science, Computer Science and Engineering @ Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyM.S., Computer and Information Science @ University of Massachusetts, Amherst Steven Schwartz is skilled in: Agile Methodologies, Scrum, Spring, Java, XML, Tomcat, Software Development, Integration, REST, JUnit, Eclipse, Subversion, SQL, Software Design, Software Project Management
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension