My passion is to lead and enable teams to create products that provide value and an enjoyable experience to our users without ever frustrating them. To this end, I strive to forge tightly knit, cross-functional teams by fostering transparent and frequent communication across engineering, product management, research, and support. An agile mindset and continuous feedback from our
My passion is to lead and enable teams to create products that provide value and an enjoyable experience to our users without ever frustrating them. To this end, I strive to forge tightly knit, cross-functional teams by fostering transparent and frequent communication across engineering, product management, research, and support. An agile mindset and continuous feedback from our stakeholders allows us to identify the pain-points our users experience and build the solutions they need.
My previous roles have included that of data scientist, product manager, and engineering manager.
I currently have the pleasure of leading a team of engineers taking a fresh look at Netflix's A/B Testing needs across multiple teams and departments. By incorporating this learning we are evolving our A/B testing tools to help take the Netflix user experience to the next level.
I have many years of experience using mathematical and software development techniques to solve business problems throughout the life cycle of a product:
- Sales engagements
- Identifying user pain points and needs
- Defining feature/product vision
- Analyzing and segmenting data
- Building and iterating through prototypes
Specialties & Interests: A/B Testing, Product Management, Personalization, Lean Software Development, Continuous Delivery, Cloud-Based Services, Segmentation, and Price Optimization.
Engineering Manager, Experimentation Platform @ I currently lead a team of senior software engineers responsible for innovating Netflix's A/B testing experimentation platform. Our platform allows internal users to manage A/B tests throughout their lifecycle by:
- Creating and scheduling their tests
- Managing the numerous and often complex user allocation rules
- Segmenting users and devices
- Providing access to real-time operational monitoring of all services involved in any given A/B test
For more detailed information, take a look at the attached slides.
Our responsibilities include:
- Supporting teams across Netflix utilizing our service suite to measure the effect of proposed product enhancements. These include anything from algorithmic enhancements, to new user interfaces, and everything in between.
- Scanning for patterns in user requests and innovating to stay ahead of their needs.
- Continually updating our technology stack to support ever increasing volumes of data and complexity.
- Real-time operational monitoring of A/B test health to track down any device/test combination producing errors or fallbacks.
- Partnering with our users with a goal to ensure that our platform outpaces their requirements and keeps Netflix firmly at the front of the pack when it comes to making data driven decisions. From April 2015 to Present (9 months) Senior Manager, Product Development @ I lead multiple teams in the development organization with a focus on cloud-based applications and services following a service oriented architecture paradigm, with an emphasis on Lean product development and Continuous Delivery.
- Experimentation with customers to prove out or discard ideas for new applications
- Integration of Big Data technology and data to solve business problems
- Understanding end-user interaction with our products
- Cultivating relationships with new technology partners
To these ends, I was continually engaged with our Science, Development, Product Management, and Sales teams to prioritize and integrate new features into our products. From March 2014 to April 2015 (1 year 2 months) Science Technology Manager @ Lead a team of Developers focused on integrating science algorithms throughout our on-premise and cloud-based product offerings. Also lead a cross-team effort to embrace DevOps best practices through the building and enhancement of automated Deployment Pipelines that enable Continuous Delivery.
Responsibilities included the development of new price optimization techniques, integration of Big Data technology and data to solve business problems, understanding end-user interaction with science recommendations, and cultivating relationships with new technology partners. I was continually engaged with our Science, Development, Product Management, and Sales teams to prioritize and integrate new algorithms into our products. From June 2012 to April 2015 (2 years 11 months) Science Manager @ Responsible for the development of new price optimization techniques, customer implementations, and providing new tools and training materials to our Professional Services team. Transitioned into the role of Science Product Manager leading a team of scientists and developers focused on integrating science algorithms throughout our products. Continually engaged with our Science, Product Management, and Development teams to prioritize and integrate new algorithms into our products. From May 2009 to May 2012 (3 years 1 month) Senior Scientist @ Worked with customers and internal implementation teams to ensure correct configuration of scientific algorithms. Prototyped new algorithms to solve business problems. Collaborated with developers to integrate algorithms into product as generic solutions useful across our customer base. Also heavily involved in technical sales. From October 2008 to April 2009 (7 months) Scientist @ Part of multiple customer implementation and support projects. Supported and wrote enhancements to internal optimization toolkits using Java, C++ and Matlab. Assisted in technical sales opportunities. From May 2007 to September 2008 (1 year 5 months) Associate Scientist @ Unified multiple optimization algorithms into one common toolkit that is still in use as an internal testing tool. Part of several customer implementation teams. From September 2005 to April 2007 (1 year 8 months) Research Assistant @ Project leader of a research team in collaboration with the Baylor College of Medicine. Developed a Computer Vision-based automated software toolkit for the extraction of neuronal structure from confocal microscope imagery of living neurons. From 2003 to 2005 (2 years) Mentor and Tutor @ Mentored and tutored freshmen and sophomore college students in mathematics, computer science, and astronomy. From 2002 to 2003 (1 year)
Master's, Computer Science @ University of Houston From 2003 to 2005 Bachelor's, Computer Science @ University of Houston From 1999 to 2003 Steve Urban is skilled in: Software Development, Product Management, A/B Testing, Software Engineering, Segmentation, Algorithms, Analytics, Agile Methodologies, Cloud Computing, Lean Software Development, Big Data, Business Intelligence, Management, Java, Enterprise Software
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension