Fellowship in Surgery (F.C.S.), Otology and Laryngology @
University of Cape Town
Experienced, technically astute physician IT professional with proven track record as a CMIO and health care consultant with a special interest in quality and process improvement. Proven success in building and maintaining relationships with physicians and other healthcare stakeholders that increase market share and revenue streams. Key member of IS strategy team. Deep expertise in implementing hospital
Experienced, technically astute physician IT professional with proven track record as a CMIO and health care consultant with a special interest in quality and process improvement. Proven success in building and maintaining relationships with physicians and other healthcare stakeholders that increase market share and revenue streams. Key member of IS strategy team. Deep expertise in implementing hospital and physician practice information systems and achieving physician adoption of CPOE and clinical documentation. Strategic use of clinical decision support technologies to support patient safety and quality initiatives. Highly-skilled at ascertaining end users' needs, designing user interfaces while at the same time managing demand and expectations. Recognized as a leader in clinical informatics in 2009 when awarded the 2009 AMDIS Award for Excellence and Outstanding Achievement in Applied Medical Informatics. Served on the Disease Management Advisory Board for the Joint Commission for Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO). Top-level advisor to executives in disease management and patient care fields. Strong work ethic. Lean Six Sigma Master Black Belt. Extensive international experience.
Currently CMIO for Adventist Health West, a 19 hospital Integrated Delivery Network (IDN). Also head up Business Intelligence.
Prior to this, I worked for Orlando Health, a 7 hospital, 1800 bed teaching IDN.
•Helped create an environment in which physician leadership elected to achieve corporate wide CPOE. The leading facility is now at 87% CPOE in one organization with a corporate average of 73%.
•Exceeded expectations by leading a team that scores more than 80% on the physician and administration satisfaction scores.
Chief Medical Information Officer / CMIO @ From October 2010 to Present (5 years 3 months) Chief Medical Informatics Officer @ Network of 7 hospitals (Level 1 Trauma, teaching & research hospital)1,800 beds,1800 physicians, and 11,500+ employees.
Manages department of 66. Responsible for defining and executing clinical information strategy together with CIO and physician leadership. Responsible for development of a codification strategy to meet the needs of Orlando Health’s data warehousing and interoperability needs. Conducts regular team meetings, including physicians, to improve quality, safety, and ROI initiatives at all 7 facilities. Accountable for CPOE adoption, order sets development, clinical workflows design, rules and alerts, clinical documentation GUI interface configuration, key outcome measures, and physician communication strategy.
• Converted 7 community hospitals from TDS and paper to Eclipsys EMR.
• Helped create an environment in which physician leadership elected to achieve corporate wide CPOE. The leading facility is now at 87% CPOE with a corporate average of 73%.
• Exceeded expectations by scoring more than 80% on MD and admin. satisfaction scores with Clinical Informatics Team
• Successfully implemented SIS in the OR (2003).
• Successfully implemented Allscripts in the medical education department.
• Upgraded all hospitals through Sunrise EMR versions 3.5, 4.0, 4.5, 5.0.
• Implemented Physician and Clinician portals for real time anywhere access to information.
• Successfully implemented order entry and nursing documentation at 6 facilities.
• Standardization of order sets has been implemented across all hospitals.
• Chair of Physician IT Governance.
• Member of RHIO / HIE development team for central Florida. From 2004 to October 2010 (6 years) Senior Manager - Clinical Transformation Healthcare Division @ Recruited to consult with Medical Directors and executive-level management to lead and/or support the development and implementation of clinical transformation into CPOE. Acted in interim Chief Medical Information Officer role; provided go-live support upon implementation.
▪As Subject Matter Expert, supported large hospital systems in developing effective supply chain strategies and manage care strategies for care management..
▪Assisted pharmaceutical and medical device organizations in the fields of information technology and customer relationship management.
▪Received “Exceeded Expectation” evaluation on all engagements. From 2003 to 2004 (1 year) Principal Consultant @ Marketed strategic consulting and disease management services, web-based patient compliance tools, medical devices, project management, telemedicine, new product / service development to health care industry and life science companies. Managed multiple global client projects simultaneously; accountable for business and project results. Interacted with international disease experts, Board- and CEO-level decision makers. Led the development, installation, and maintenance of software products.
▪Led the design, development, and implementation of $15M e-health / disease management / Clinical Physician Order Entry (CPOE)/ patient compliance system, spanning the full provider spectrum and across all core business processes. Managed 30 staff over a period of 5 years. Achieved 90% patient compliance and 40% saving in patient admissions. Key modules include a desktop physician decision support module, a web-based interactive patient compliance portal, a case management module and a remote data upload module for patient home devices.
▪Consistently delivered projects on time and at/or under budget.
▪Maintained 80% billable rate (industry average rate is 60%).
▪Ranked in the Top 15% (out of 130,000 employees).
▪Increased individual sales from $2M to $2.5M.
▪Regularly met or exceeded corporate expectations in productivity and sales.
▪As expert on physician decision support systems, conducted numerous international physician training sessions ▪As disease management expert, conducted numerous knowledge transfer session with internal opinion leaders to develop key disease algorithms.
▪Conducted cost-benefit analysis to study feasibility of developing Community Health Information Network ▪With AMA analyzed EMR vendors
▪Market readiness assessment for the development and implementation of decision support systems ▪ long-range IT strategic plans for community and teaching hospitals From 1994 to 2003 (9 years) Head of Biomedical and Computer Services @ TYGERBERG ACADEMIC TEACHING HOSPITAL, Cape Town, South Africa 1986 - 1994
1,000 bed hospital; ENT Department of 6 residents and 3 Attending Physicians.
Performed duties of the following positions and operated private practice concurrently.
Senior Surgical Consultant in Ear, Nose, Throat
Responsible for teaching and training medical students and residents. Performed clinic duties, surgery, and patient assessments. Responsible for data collection and analysis for research purposes.
▪ Developed and implemented a new techniques for the management of subglottic stenosis.
▪ Invited on sabbatical by Chairman of Head and Neck Department of the University of Pittsburgh.
Director of Head and Neck Oncology
Assessed and treated patients.
▪ Accountable for 80% of head and neck oncology surgeries.
Head of Biomedical and Computer Services
Collected data from patient files for research. Analyzed monthly report for Chairman of the ENT Department.
▪ Served as Knowledge Engineer for University of Pittsburgh's expert systems laboratory on the Migraine Project.
▪ Created Artificial Intelligence Expert System to identify and diagnose vertigo.
▪ Developed computerized ENT interactive teaching modules for undergraduate medical, post-graduate medical, and nursing students to facilitate knowledge of basic anatomy and examination techniques.
▪ Designed and maintained an ENT / Oncology database to track patient progress, enabling medical professionals to enhance quality of care.
________________________________________ From January 1986 to January 1994 (8 years 1 month)
MBA @ Stellenbosch University/Universiteit StellenboschMD @ University of Cape TownFellowship in Surgery (F.C.S.), Otology and Laryngology @ University of Cape TownInformation Systems @ University of Cape TownBlack Belt Lean Six Sigma @ certification Steve Margolis is skilled in: EMR, Hospitals, Clinical Decision Support, Project Management, Healthcare, Disease Management, Informatics, Clinical Trials, Patient Safety, Healthcare Information Technology, Medical Devices, Clinical Research, Nursing, Medical Education, Six Sigma
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension