Digital Transformation Consulting (Life Sciences, HealthCare, Insurance, Media, and Technology) @
Lead for Life Sciences / HealthCare, and Technology companies @
BDO USA, LLP
Vice President Growth & Business and Corporate Development @
BS, Marketing/Economics @
West Virginia Wesleyan College
Accomplished in product management, business development, marketing, consulting, strategy, and strategic alliances/partnerships. Experienced product focused executive, experienced growing revenue in SaaS, digital licensing, consulting, and subscription revenue models. Proven success in both domestic and international business, in B2B and B2C. I am particularly interested in mobile, and online services and the way consumers and business people interact
Accomplished in product management, business development, marketing, consulting, strategy, and strategic alliances/partnerships. Experienced product focused executive, experienced growing revenue in SaaS, digital licensing, consulting, and subscription revenue models. Proven success in both domestic and international business, in B2B and B2C. I am particularly interested in mobile, and online services and the way consumers and business people interact with technology to improve the online ecommerce experience.
Specialties: General Manager, Business Development Initiatives, Business Development Execution and Growth, Corporate Development/M&A, Technology Partnerships, ECommerce, New Product Development, Strategic Partnerships, Distribution Deals, Contracts, Product Marketing, Product Management, New Products, Corporate Development, Telecom, Turn-Arounds, Startups, Venture-Backed, Restructuring, Monetization, Led Business and Initiatives
Key Skill Areas:
* Digital Media Sales
* Business Building
* Skilled at Win/Win Partnership Deals
* M&A Transactions and Due Diligence
* Detail Oriented
Key Experience Areas:
* Business/Corporate Development
* Product Marketing and Management
Interim COO @ Work closely with the CEO and Board of Directors in designing, implementing and evaluating, technology development, strategic partnerships, and go to market strategy for the service. Eternity Archive, is the worlds first perpetual hosting/digital storage/social media management solution that guaranties your digital presence will be up and accessible, and under your control, even after you die. Our archives are more accessible, enduring and less costly then any ever before in history. From May 2015 to Present (6 months) Greater New York City AreaVideoDesk, General Manager/SVP Sales, Marketing and Business Development: @ Head of North America for Videodesk responsible for Sales, Business Development, Product Management, and Marketing. Managed the development of the VideoChat product for the North American Market, specifically for mobile phones and tablets (IOS/Android), set-top box ITV appolications, and desk top computers (Windows/Mac). Landed 3 Large Fortune 50 accounts, and several small and medium clients for our VideoChat™ eCommerce platform. VideoDesk provides eCommerce, VideoChat, Text Chat, VOIP, IPTV and CoBrowsing services. Negotiated complex licensing and reseller contracts with SalesForce.com, Docusign, & Drawloop. The VideoDesk VideoChat(TM) solution works on mobile and tablets (IOS and Android), and all browsers (Chrome, WebRTC, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari, etc), and raises online Ecommerce conversion rates by 300+% over text chat and voice, as well as we improve the size of checkout basket by 25% while increasing customer satisfaction. Conducted primary market research and focus groups, for end user feedback on GUI/Design, and then documented that feedback in design documents with our development team in Paris.
Landed and closed complex contracts with Microsoft, IBM, EON, and the Cochran Legal Group, to license live video chat technology platform on their ecommerce sites to improve conversion and increase revenues. From September 2014 to May 2015 (9 months) Greater New York City AreaVice President of Business Development, Sales, Licensing (Digital Marketing Consulting ) @ Martindale provides digital marketing services to the legal/financial markets. Grew topline online marketing revenue to $240 million, and increased traffic 36+ million unique visitors across the portfolio, the largest 1 year leap ever. I had P&L responsibility for $83 Million sales in FY 2014. Conducted market research/focus groups and launched 10 new products, using Agile/SCRUM rapid iterative processes, these products garnered 8 industry awards, and led to our increase in revenues. Developed new business licensing model for purchasing and reselling legal leads to attorneys, and product managed requiring new business systems and analytics.
* Technology Licensing/Partnerships, Oracle, Google, Bing, Telmetrics, Experian, Getty, Dudamobile,
Taboola, Outbrain, Yahoo, Web.com, Hearst, Gannett
* Call Center/Live Chat: Technology agreement with LogMeIn, and call center staffing to KM2 Honduras
* Pay Per Lead Services: Created affiliate marketing program, sourcing 20k monthly leads for legal clients
* Martindale Legal Ratings: Led partnership and monetization strategy, and increased revenue 140%
* Contracting/Licensing: Led vendor negotiations, and managed existing licensing
* Website/GUI Interface Design: For both the legal clients, as well as our lawfirm customers
* Corporate M&A: Sold Martindale-Hubbell to Internet Brands Corp in 11.1.2013 and stayed through transition From December 2010 to August 2014 (3 years 9 months) New Providence NJ+New York CityInterim CEO @ Licensed digital content and negotiated/signed new distribution deals with AOL, Thompson Reuters, Predictify, Politico, Zobgy, DailyMe, and the AP for paid content and subscriptions. Implemented traffic syndication with Twitter, AOL, Facebook, ShareThis, and LinkedIn. Ran sales, led successful fundraising, worked with investors on two other interim CEO/COO roles (WeatherTrends and PayFone). From February 2009 to November 2010 (1 year 10 months) Greater New York City AreaVP Digital and Mobile Products, Sales and Business Development: @ My sales team and I increased 08 worldwide revenue to $44+ million from $27 million, through digital subscription sales, digital rights licensing, e-books, and e-commerce. Developed strategy and did BD work with big partners.
* Corporate M&A – Acquired and integrated digital enablement companies into McGrawHill
- Mobile, eBooks, and Tablet technologies including Sony EReader,, Android and iPad
* Online Advertising/Affiliates – CPC, SEO, CPA, CPM, Affiliate, and Revenue Share agreements.
* Licensing – MerckMedicus, WebMD, and McGraw-Hill Medical print content digitally repurposed.
* New Digital Products and Services – Email, Web 2.0/Social Networking, SEO optimization
* e-Books and Mobility Devices - iPhone, Treo, Blackberry, Android, Windows CE
* Globalization – work with affiliates and subsidiaries worldwide on websites, and eCommerce From December 2007 to February 2009 (1 year 3 months) Greater New York City AreaCEO, RichFX a eCommerce Marketing Agency @ Responsible for Sales and Business Development. RichFX provided Ecommerce/Digital Consulting, delivering Online catalogs, imaging, and eCommerce strategy for 300 top multichannel merchants (JC Penney, Coach, Brooks Brothers, Orvis, Sony, WalMart, Valassis), services were all provided as “Software as a Service” (SaaS). Created partnerships with Google, Adobe, Microsoft, Yahoo, Omniture, Akamai, etc. Sourced new technology, distribution partners, social networks/Web 2.0 and worked with COO and CTO on a new technical platform for all of the companies services. Grew revenues from $2 million (2005) -> $12 million (2007), and managed 100 employees. Completed successful sale of RichFX to Channel Advisor Corporation. From July 2005 to December 2007 (2 years 6 months) New York NYVP Business and Corporate Development / Sales @ VP of Business and Corporate Development: ($102M+ Public Traded, Internet Business Services) 2001-July 2005
Register.com is a leading provider of global domain name registration and other value-added services (VAS), to large corporations, small/medium sized businesses (SMBs) and individuals. Led Business Development, Out-Sourcing, Licensing, Strategy, and M&A. I introduced new products and VAS that grew revenues as well as acquired a business that became Register.com's Corporate Services Division.
NEW PRODUCT/SERVICES LICENSING
OUTSOURCING/COMPANY AGREEMENTS/CONTRACTS: From May 2001 to July 2005 (4 years 3 months) Greater New York City AreaVP of Business Development, Sales, and Strategy @ VP Business Development, Winstar (A $1billion public Broadband/Internet Company) 99-01
Revenue grew from 0 to $40+ Million, and I closed Partnership and 3 M&A Deals. Secured funding from CBS and Winstar Communications, as well as a follow-on investment from Microsoft to create a SMB website (With more customers than Yahoo Small Business, Excite, WSJ, Hoovers, and Onvia)
Acquired Individual.com, from NewsEdge, a Web Based Business Portal. (stock deal)
Acquired Telebase.com, a licensor of D&B Reports and information. (stock deal)
Acquired Atyouroffice.com, a web based office supply company. From 1999 to 2001 (2 years) Greater New York City AreaVP Business Development @ (a $100 Million public co.)
Responsible for implementing Strategy, M&A, and Business Development. Grew Revenues at the company from $25M to $100M and managed business development efforts from the filing of the S1 (12/98) and IPO (3/99). About.com was the 8th largest website in the world when it was sold to Primedia for $690 Million.
3 Successful M&A Deals:
VantageNet, Acquired internet polling software company. Reverse triangular merger (80% stock + 20% cash)
Northern Light, Acquired a Web Based Consumer/Business Hosting Service. (stock deal)
Commtouch, Developed a About.com branded email, address book, and calendar/scheduler. Evaluated 10+ vendors, created specifications, technical integration with About.com, negotiated/closed, and then ran the implementation team.
Value America, iMALL, and GOBI E-Commerce partnership deals completed and implemented. From 1998 to 1999 (1 year) Director Business Development @ Led the Business Development team for AT&T WorldNet from prelaunch, through launch, through 2.5 Million paying ISP Subscriber ($240 each per year) focused on Small and Medium Businesses. From September 1995 to November 1998 (3 years 3 months) Managing Director Computer Telephone Integration (CTI) @ Worked at Bell Laboratories, and General Business Systems in Product Management/Marketing/New Products and Services From May 1986 to September 1995 (9 years 5 months)
Masters Program, Management Information Systems @ Auburn University From September 1984 to 1986 BS, Marketing/Economics @ West Virginia Wesleyan College From 1981 to 1984 Stephen Smith is skilled in: Product Management, Corporate Development, Product Marketing, Restructuring, Online Advertising, Mergers, Lead Generation, Mobile Marketing, PPC, SEM, Strategic Partnerships, Web Analytics, Customer Acquisition, E-commerce, Digital Strategy, Strategy, Start-ups, SaaS, Mobile Devices, New Business Development, Marketing, Email Marketing, SEO, Digital Marketing, Affiliate Marketing, Multi-channel Marketing, Management, Business Development, Analytics, Sales, Leadership, Cross-functional Team..., Partnership-building, Salesforce.com, Executive Management, Competitive Analysis, Outsourcing, Online Marketing, B2B, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media, Venture Capital, Web Marketing, Marketing Strategy, B2B Marketing, Direct Marketing, Go-to-market Strategy, Enterprise Software, Business Strategy, Telecommunications