Senior Development Engineer @ GERTHERM Inc. / Hyliion Inc.
Electrical Engineer @ UNITEC International Controls Corp.,
Senior Design Engineer/Architect @ GPE Technology Inc.
Master of Science (MSc) @
University of Manitoba
I am a talented electronics professional with a strong background in the design of microcontroller and DSP based systems – embedded systems, analog circuits, digital circuits, switching power supply, CPLD and FPGA development, Verilog/ VHDL cording, C and Assembly programming, circuit design and schematic capture, PCB layout, Spice simulation, Signal integrity simulation, low EMI design & EMC
I am a talented electronics professional with a strong background in the design of microcontroller and DSP based systems – embedded systems, analog circuits, digital circuits, switching power supply, CPLD and FPGA development, Verilog/ VHDL cording, C and Assembly programming, circuit design and schematic capture, PCB layout, Spice simulation, Signal integrity simulation, low EMI design & EMC test, PCB bring up/debug testing, and troubleshooting of embedded systems. With extensive hands –on quick prototyping experiences, excellent analytic and problem solving skills and exceptional industry accomplishments, I will be an asset to your engineering team.
With an innovation and creative mind, I have designed several electronic devices that have the best performance in the related market sectors in the world.
I have been Led electrical system and subsystem designs for more than 15 years. I execute complex digital and analog design from concept to verification and release; I develop procurement specifications for outsourced components while acting as the primary technical interface to the vendor; I steer technical direction by applying and providing the most update and state of the art of technique and technology plus my own expertise to the ongoing projects; I provide guidelines to and supervise other junior engineers and designers at home town and offshores.
I have been a driven professional to lead the design and development of electronic circuits and embedded systems of different products for consumer electronics, industrial control, automobile, instrument, security and telecommunication. I architect the system design, and implemented the detailed electrical design, simulations, prototypes, and validation using commonly available electrical engineering development tools and laboratory equipment. I have been worked effectively in a cross-functional team to support the overall department and corporate objectives.
I also contribute to the technology development..
Sr. Electrical Engineer @ • Developed a video board for video display with OpenLDI, RGB and LVDS interface.
• Designed a 360 degree view camera system including 4 imagers, a video processor and a wireless IC. The 360 degree view pictures and videos can be streaming out via LAN or wireless communication to local receivers or cloud.
• Worked on a test plan for testing Bluetooth and Wi-Fi functions.
Environment: Analog circuit, digital circuit, Ethernet, TCP/IP, C, I2S, SPI, USB2/3, I2C, H.264, MIPI, LVDS, DSP, FPGA, DisplayPort, HDMI, OrCAD, PADS, C, Verilog, JTAG Debugger, High speed PCB From September 2014 to Present (1 year 4 months) Sr. Electrical Engineer @ • Designed HD IP cameras including a SoC video processor board and imager sensor boards. Designed the low noise amplifier, Audio codec, ADC converter, linear voltage regulator and DC/DC switching power supply, LVDS signaling, PCB layout, Did PCB bring up, firmware functional test, firmware system level validation test and EMC test. Delivered the working cameras in the first PCB spin within 5 months.
• Took part in the design of a 4K camera including imager boards using Sony, Omnivision and Panasonic imagers, firmware functional test.
• Programmed a XILINX Spartan 6 FPGA for converting parallel signaling into LVDS differential singling (serializer).
● Supervised and took part in the high speed, mixed signal, multi-layer PCB layout
● Designed a wireless PDA devices, including GSM processor, base band processor, GPS processor, Bluetooth, Antennas, SAW filter, DDR2, USB, battery charger, Audio, touch screen control, position sensor, speedometer, power supply. The devices can be used for sending SMS message via Cellular network and positioning via GPS.
Environment: Analog circuit, digital circuit, Mixed signal circuit, SoC, PCB layout, Schematic capture, UART, RS-232, SPI, I2S, I2C, DDR2/3, USB 2/3, LVDS, MIPI, MPEG4, H.264, HDMI, Ethernet, LAN, TCP/IP, C, Embedded Linux OS, impedance matching, Signal integrity simulation, XILINX ISE 14.5, Verilog, Cadence OrCAD, Mentor Graphic PADS, Altium Designer, JTAG Debugger, TDR, Spectrum Analyzer, Oscilloscope, EMC test, IR LED, DFM, DFT. From January 2013 to July 2014 (1 year 7 months) Sr. Electrical Engineer @ Senior Electrical Engineer (10/2003 – 11/2012) Brooks Instrument/Celerity Inc., Irvine, CA
• Group leader, Designed the embedded electronic circuit with a STM32F4 (with an ARM Cortex M4 core) for GF135 series gas flow controller.
• Led and designed the second generation liquid flow controller including analog circuit, a TI TMS320DM6437 DSP, a Xilinx Spartan III FPGA, a fly back switching power supply, an A/D converter and a stepper motor. The liquid flow controller has the best accuracy among the similar liquid flow controllers in the market sector for semiconductor IC manufacturing. Reduced the cost to 65% of the first generation while adding Device Net and Ethernet interfaces.
• Designed electronic circuit of GF040 mass flow controller for industry and solar cell fabrication applications including an ARM7 microprocessor (LPC2366FBD100), low noise amplifiers and a fly back switching power supply.
• Led a product from design concept, architecture to production. Designed and debugged high speed digital and analog circuit including filter, low noise amplifier and low jitter clock for a liquid flow controller for semiconductor manufacturing.
• Supervised and took part in the high density high speed low jitter PCB layout in local and over sea (India). Did PCB bring up and system level validation testing. Did EMC testing for the above devices for CE compliance.
Environment: Analog circuit (low noise amplifier, wide band amplifier, ultra low drift amplifier, programmable gain Amplifier, filter, MOSFET, analog switch, current limiter), switching power supply, High speed digital circuit, DSP, FPGA, CPLD, low jitter clock distribution, high speed A/D converter, DDR2, LCD display, Signal Integrity, Low EMI design, high density, multi-frequency, high speed digital/analog board layout, Rigid Flex, Impedance control, Spice simulation, shielding, OrCAD, Mentor, CAN, Device Net, RS-485, 4/20mA, SPI, USB, EMC test, Oscilloscope, Spectrum analyzer, MatLab, Altium Designer, From October 2003 to December 2012 (9 years 3 months) Senior Electrical Engineer @ Senior Electrical Engineer (4/2001 – 10/2003) Sorrento Networks Inc., San Diego, CA, USA
• Designed high speed 2.5G (OC-48) and 10G (OC-192) network cards for telecommunication network back bone and Metro applications, including a transceiver, SONET chipsets, a microprocessor, switching power supplies and a CPLD.
• Programmed FPGA/CPLD in Verilog /VHDL for network sub-systems.
• Found out solutions for fixing a vendor’s new SONET chipset’s slip problem (silicon error).
• Wrote verification/validation test plans and conducted hardware and firmware integration test for various network sub-systems.
Environment: High speed digital/analog circuit, Low noise amplifier, filter, switching power supply, ADC, DAC, FPGA, CPLD, low jitter clock generation and distribution, differential pairs, controlled impedance, Synopsys, Verilog, Fast Ethernet, LAN, Gigabit Ethernet, XAUI, SONET/SDH, WAN, LVDS, LVPECL I/O, VCO, PLL, OrCAD, BERT, spectrum analyzer, logic analyzer, network analyzer, Agilent OmniBER 718 test set, WWG ANT-20 test set, Oscilloscope. From April 2001 to October 2003 (2 years 7 months) Senior Design Engineer/Architect @ * Senior Design Engineer/Architect (10/1999 – 4/2001) GPE Technology Inc., Vancouver, BC
• Worked as an architect and project manager and supervised four engineers.
• Designed a video data and statistical data communication system for a large LED video screen. Using Gigabit Ethernet technology to save 35% cost over the high speed copper cable one, Fast Ethernet, TMS320C6211 DSP and XILINX Virtex FPGA are used in the system. In the system streaming video data are converted into Ethernet packets which are transmitted via Ethernet network then to the LED display panels.
• Designed a RFID reader device.
• Did the C and Assembly programming for the large LED video screen.
• Implemented XILINX Virtex and Spartan FPGA in VHDL.
• Did schematic capture. Did the system validation test including hardware and firmware.
Environment: High speed digital circuit, DSP, SRAM, FPGA, differential driver, switching power supply, high speed high density board layout, XILINX FOUNDATION, Verilog, VHDL, Synopsys, ModelSim, Code Composer Studio, C, In circuit Emulator, RTOS, Gigabit Ethernet, PCI, OrCAD, PADS, VGA, DVI/HDMI, ASK, FSK, IR, RTL behavioral modeling. From October 1999 to April 2001 (1 year 7 months) Design Engineer @ • Designed the main board of the RGR (range control radar) – a microwave (5.8GHz) and PIR dual-sensor motion detection system. A PIC16C505 microcontroller is used to control microwave pulses.
• Did the high speed PCB layout for the RGR board. Did system validation testing.
• Designed a new glass break sensor using pattern recognition technique. A PIC16C73B micro-controller and active filters are used for the sensor.
● Did the C and Assembler programming for the RGR motion detection system and the glass break sensor.
Environment: Micro pulse Radar circuit, analog circuit, low noise amplifier, filter, active network, peak detector, DAC, ADC, high speed digital circuits, microprocessor, low EMI design, Spice, Matlab, digital signal processing, Assembler, C, In circuit Emulator, RTOS, OrCAD, PADS, Oscilloscope, spectrum analyzer, logic analyzer, FCC, UL, IR. From May 1998 to September 1999 (1 year 5 months) Senior Electrical Engineer @ • Designed a heavy duty truck remote sensing, diagnostic and control device - Truck Link. The Truck Link has a MOTOROLA MC68332 microprocessor, a GPS unit and a cellular phone & modem. The Truck Link gets location information from the GPS unit, communicates with truck’s onboard computer to obtain the truck’s speed, engine power, radiator temperature, and other information and sends the data to the center station via wireless communication and passes the center station’s commands to the onboard computer of the truck.
• Designed a monitoring and diagnostic device for light duty trucks and cars. The device can be used to diagnose different types of light duty trucks and cars. A XILINX XC4005E FPGA is used for the vehicle interface circuit. A Zilog Z02205 modem controller and a Z02201 DSP are adopted for a modem that is used for the remote diagnosing.
• Did schematic capture and PCB layout. Did system validation test.
Environment: Analog circuit (low noise amplifier, filter, operational amplifier), RF circuit, GPS, AMP, CDMA, DAC, ADC, microprocessor, CPLD, FPGA, Synopsys, VHDL, XILINX FOUNDATION, PADS, Assembler, C, In circuit Emulator, RF power meter, spectrum analyzer, logic analyzer. From June 1994 to June 1996 (2 years 1 month) Electrical Engineer @ • Designed a new RTU (remote terminal unit) to RTU radio communication protocol for the SCADA (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition) system using Intel 8X0196KC microprocessor. The SCADA system has over 50 RTUs, 4 CTUs (center terminal units) and two MTUs (master terminal units). To implement the protocol 1.5k words are added to modify the real time multi-tasking operating system that has over 20k words.
• Developed a communication software driver to implement the HART protocol for the communication between the intelligent field device that includes a micro-controller and the RTUs.
• Designed an interface circuit for the modem of the RTU and radio transmitters.
Environment: RF circuit, analog/digital circuit, low noise amplifier, filter, operational amplifier, DAC, ADC, RS-485, PLC, Assembler, C, In Circuit Emulator, OrCAD, HART, spectrum analyzer, logic analyzer, RF power meter, fault-tolerance. From June 1994 to June 1996 (2 years 1 month) Electrical Engineer @ Electrical Engineer (5/1993 – 5/1994) University of Manitoba, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering
• Designed a welding quality analyzer device for the thermite welding of train rails by detection of acoustic emission signal generated during thermite welding of rails. A TMS320E17 DSP is used and a computation algorithm is developed for carrying out the digital signal processing and pattern recognition. (The successful design of the prototype unit led to the formation of SYSMON CORPORATION)
Environment: Analog circuit, low noise amplifier, filter, Ultrasound sensor interface circuit, peak detector, variable gain amplifier, digital circuit, DSP, logical circuit, digital signal processing, Assembler, C, Simulator, Windows 3.1. From May 1993 to May 1994 (1 year 1 month)
Ph.D., Electrical and computer Engineering @ University of ManitobaMaster of Science (MSc), Electrical and computer Engineering @ University of Manitoba Shelby Liang is skilled in: Embedded Systems, Firmware, Electronics, Debugging, Semiconductors, PCB design, FPGA, Engineering Management, Engineering, Embedded Software, Manufacturing, Sensors, C, Hardware Architecture, Labview
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension