MA, History and Philosophy of Science @
Florida State University
With 9 years of experience in health services research, I have developed a strong knowledge base in SAS and SQL, biostatistics (incl. modeling), health claims data (BCBS/State Health Plan, Medicaid, Medicare), relational databases and BI data visualization (Tableau) in the effort to provide solutions to support organizational initiatives. In addition to my technical background, I have demonstrated
With 9 years of experience in health services research, I have developed a strong knowledge base in SAS and SQL, biostatistics (incl. modeling), health claims data (BCBS/State Health Plan, Medicaid, Medicare), relational databases and BI data visualization (Tableau) in the effort to provide solutions to support organizational initiatives. In addition to my technical background, I have demonstrated the ability to mentor junior analysts, work effectively with clients, and communicate with audiences of varying technical sophistication. I particularly enjoy the challenge of preparing and analyzing data in the effort to solve complex public health problems.
Among my colleagues, I'm a well respected SAS/SQL programmer, data analyst, and consultant with a proven ability to generate solutions to complex problems and coordinate action. Furthermore, I'm a published researcher with multiple professional presentations at prestigious conferences, which shows my motivation to advance the knowledge base of my field. In multiple evaluations, I've been described as a “great asset” and “invaluable member”. My professional goal is to continue to assume greater responsibility within an organization that is devoted to promoting public health.
* SAS (SAS/BASE, SAS/STAT, SAS/MACRO, SAS/SQL, SAS/GRAPH, SAS/Linux)
* Datasets: Medicaid, Medicare, BCBS/SEHP, SEER-Medicare, Cancer Registry, ADT, etc.
* Relational databases: Microsoft SQL Server and Access
* Data visualization software: Tableau
* Clinical codes (ICD-9, HCPCS/CPT, NDC, Revenue Codes, etc.)
* Statistical analysis (i.e. Case-Mix adjustment, Regression, ANOVA, Survival Analysis, confidence intervals, etc.)
* Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Power Point, Access, and Sharepoint)
* Data linkage techniques: deterministic and probabilistic
* Grant writing (methods) and publications
* Operating systems: Windows and Linux
Applications Specialist @ Major responsibilities:
- Design and development of data management strategies for very large scale research data
- Develop short- and long-term plans for promoting the use of secondary health data in research
- Design and development of programming tools and analytic tools for exploring data across various platforms and various applications
- Lead and manage multiple projects, utilizing available resources and creating/adhering to timelines
- Work directly with researchers and research teams to understand research questions and evaluate/interpret utilization data and statistical methods that address these questions
- Work with upper management to create strategic plans and to implement and promote guidelines and procedures
- Consultant to researchers and other applications development staff
- Consultant to senior researchers and management to develop short- and long-term plans for addressing requirements and enhancing programming services
- Perform systems analysis to accurately discover requirements and appropriately use software tools to develop solutions
- Develop sophisticated deterministic and probabilistic algorithms to link large datasets for health services research
- Use SAS/SQL to extract, manipulate and analyze data
- Statistical modeling
- Tableau dashboarding From September 2015 to Present (4 months) Informatics Scientist @ Major Responsibilities: Leverage technical knowledge of research and statistical methods, and/or deep understanding of health insurance business issues, to find innovative and informative solutions to business problems. Work closely with staff across the enterprise to understand business processes, articulate problems and find solutions that support enterprise strategies and tactics.
Work independently to:
* Manage all aspects of analytic projects:
- conceptualizing research design to solve business problems
- extract and transform large datasets (using SQL and/or SAS) from relational databases (Teradata and MS SQL Server)
- writing and maintaining source code
- quantitative and qualitative statistical analysis, including complex statistical models
- employ propensity score matching techniques to identify comparison groups
- interpretation and synthesis of outcomes and conclusions
- prepare documentation and communication of results and recommendations
* Evaluate requests and desired outcomes; meet with requestor as needed to offer suggestions / enhancements to analytic project
* Develop and ensure that appropriate research and analytic strategies are in place to support healthcare program design, healthcare operations, medical policies and provider network initiatives
* Demonstrate in-depth knowledge, understanding, and application of health services, economic, epidemiological and/or behavioral research methodologies
* Effectively communicate complex analytic results, outcomes and research concepts to internal business leaders and external business partners in order to inform and influence business decisions
* Maintain awareness of significant developments in the field, including current research methodologies, statistical modeling approaches and other issues as appropriate for specific position responsibilities
* Demonstrate understanding of the cross-functional nature of health insurance industry to inform enterprise strategy From August 2014 to Present (1 year 5 months) chapel hill, ncSenior Data Analyst @ • Provide data management support to a group of analysts and clinicians using SQL and SAS
• Extract and manipulate data from very large administrative claims datasets (enrollment, claims, provider)
• Use 3M grouper products to assign patients to Clinical Risk Groups
• Generate weights for risk adjustment of cost and utilization measures (case-mix adjusted rates)
• Use Tableau software to create a dashboard for care managers to track trends, identify priority patients, and assess performance
• Leading the development of a Sharepoint forum in which analysts will be able to communicate, share knowledge and create links to useful programming resources. The site will serve as a knowledge repository for the IC group.
• QC and serve as point person on IC reports for healthcare administrators and care managers
• Generate reports on key performance indicators using health care data From January 2014 to August 2014 (8 months) Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina AreaData Scientist/Research Associate @ • Use sophisticated SAS programming techniques to manage large and complex data sets, including data from cancer registries, SEER-Medicare, Medicare, Medicaid and BCBS/SEHP, Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System, and Area Resource Files.
• Apply data linkage theory to design, implement, and assess the quality of sophisticated linkage algorithms.
• Use complex statistical techniques to build models of cancer screening, diagnosis, treatment, and survival.
• Participate on writing teams to prepare grant applications.
• Perform epidemiological analyses of cancer incidence in North Carolina
• Planning and designing an online query system for researchers to use to plan proposals.
• Create basic maps and perform simple geocoding in ArcGIS.
• Provide statistical and SAS programming support to public health researchers.
• Use clinical codes to identify diagnoses and treatments From October 2010 to January 2014 (3 years 4 months) Epidemiologist / Statistician / SAS Programmer @ * Provide statistical consulting and support to public health researchers
* Generate sophisticated SAS macros, arrays, and do-loops to extract, manipulate, and format large data sets of up to 30 million records for public health research
* Apply advanced statistical methods to analyze cancer data (i.e. multiple regression, logistic regression, Cox Proportional Hazards Regression, etc.) in SAS and Excel
* Collaborate with researchers from universities and public health agencies to design and develop research methods for conducting original research using the cancer registry's database
* Create graphs, listings, and tables in SAS for publications, presentations, and reports
* Perform complex probabilistic data record linkages with other health outcomes databases using SAS (Proc SQL) and/or Link Plus
* Collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams to plan, design, and execute community cancer investigations
* Lead a publications committee for publishing statistical briefs and reports on cancer incidence, mortality, survival, prevalence, years of life lost, lifetime risk, and access to care
* Review research proposals to use cancer registry data and coordinate the approval process
* Doubled the number of SAS templates to include programs to calculate survival, years of life lost, life expectancy, and lifetime risk From April 2009 to October 2010 (1 year 7 months) Statistician @ * Wrote sophisticated SAS macros, arrays, and do-loops, and complex SQL queries to extract, manipulate, and format data sets of up to 30 million records for public health researchers requesting data for cancer studies
* Responsible for answering data requests about cancer in NC, which included accessing data files on multiple computer platforms, manipulating data using SAS and Excel, performing the appropriate statistical analyses, interpreting the results, and communicating the findings to the user
* Performed complex probabilistic data record linkages with other health outcomes databases using Link Plus, Automatch, and/or SAS
* Conducted community cancer investigations
* Prepared statistical reports for publication on important cancer indicators
* Reduced the number of duplicate records in the registry's database from 60,000 to From November 2006 to March 2009 (2 years 5 months)
MS, Experimental Psychology @ William & Mary From 2001 to 2003 MA, History and Philosophy of Science @ Florida State University From 2003 to 2006 BS, Experimental Psychology @ Christopher Newport University From 1998 to 2001 Seth Tyree is skilled in: SAS, Statistics, Public Health, Data Mining, SAS programming, Microsoft Excel, Logistic Regression, SQL, Cancer, Linear Regression, Statistical Modeling, Data Analysis, Data Management, Analytics, Access
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension