MSc, Economics @
Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani
Director of WW OEM Partner & Channel Marketing, Cloud & Enterprise Products @ From November 2014 to Present (1 year 2 months) Fire TV / Kindle @ Led product marketing for the launch of Fire TV, Amazon’s first generation streaming media player. Key challenges were to drive awareness, acquire new customers, and establish Fire TV as a
Director of WW OEM Partner & Channel Marketing, Cloud & Enterprise Products @ From November 2014 to Present (1 year 2 months) Fire TV / Kindle @ Led product marketing for the launch of Fire TV, Amazon’s first generation streaming media player. Key challenges were to drive awareness, acquire new customers, and establish Fire TV as a credible platform among developers.
• Defined target customer segments, and developed positioning, messaging, and creative brief. Created a go-to-market plan to capture 10-15% share within one year. The strategy included selective retail partnerships to complement Amazon.com, choice of media and creative treatment to drive awareness, premium pricing with targeted promotions, and incentives to drive customer engagement.
• Designed and executed a highly successful launch whose key elements included a PR event to drive initial buzz, investment in broad reach media (TV, print, and digital) to maximize reach, and prominent cross-site merchandising on Amazon properties. The launch accomplished early goals – two weeks after launch, the product was sold out on Amazon.com, was trending towards 4-star customer rating, and had 80%+ customer satisfaction.
• Managed experiential programs ($2.5M+ budget) for Kindle products. Led an agency from strategy to execution and managed a content partner (Disney) to design buzz-worthy programs. Events, held at multiple cities, focused on 1:1 consumer engagement to deliver impressions / trials, increase awareness, drive positive reviews, and acquire customers. From February 2013 to April 2014 (1 year 3 months) Marketing Director, Desktop Virtualization Solutions @ Led marketing for the launch of Dell’s new cloud-based Desktop-as-a-Service (DaaS) offering in the emerging Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI) category. The primary challenge was to drive awareness and educate customers about the new category.
• Developed positioning and messaging for DaaS based on customer insights including personal interactions with customers. Delivered messaging to customers on product website, at events and tradeshows, and in PR and sales collateral.
• Spoke at industry events to audiences that included senior IT executives from Fortune 500 companies, universities and school districts, and IT service providers. Generated over 60 high potential leads in 6 months.
• Created sales collateral and delivered training to 200+ global sales executives. Developed a “show, don’t tell” demonstration method that proved highly effective in engaging customers and overcoming objections. From March 2012 to February 2013 (1 year) Austin, Texas AreaMarketing Director, North America Consumer & SMB @ Handpicked to manage a $1B+ P&L for Dell’s PC business and improve performance metrics including profitability, customer acquisition, and customer satisfaction. Developed and executed an end-to-end go-to-market strategy across multiple channels and cross-functional areas. Directly managed 8 marketers including Director-level professionals.
• Increased laptop profits by 250% Y/Y during the first quarter in the role. Delivered the most profitable Black Friday in 3 years.
• Launched Dell’s groundbreaking ShipsFast program resulting in 80% lower delivery time and higher customer satisfaction. Drove 30% improvement in program profitability by implementing innovative online merchandising tactics.
• Improved retail channel profitability by 90% Y/Y (highest OpInc achieved in retail up to that point) through channel expansion and optimization of product assortment. From September 2010 to February 2012 (1 year 6 months) Austin, Texas AreaMarketing Director, North America Consumer & SMB @ From September 2010 to February 2011 (6 months) Austin, Texas AreaMarketing Director, Asia-Pacific & Japan Consumer @ Managed pricing across all channels for Dell’s $2B Consumer business in Asia. Supported Asia GM and 6 Country GMs and worked with them to develop product positioning, pricing and competitive strategies, and channel strategies.
• Delivered and executed monthly strategic pricing proposals to drive 80% Y/Y growth for the region while balancing revenue and margin goals. Increased online margins by 10% by optimizing upsell and cross-sell pricing.
• Generated incremental $5M by negotiating with vendors to change existing criteria for partner funding.
• Navigated complex, cross-cultural relationships and hired, managed, and developed a 12-member team located in Japan, China, India, Malaysia, and Australia into a high-performance unit.
• Selected for Accelerated Development Program for top 10% of employees in Asia. From March 2008 to September 2010 (2 years 7 months) Senior Brand Manager, US Small & Medium Business @ Managed Dell’s $700M+ laptop business aimed at SMBs. Owned unit, revenue, and margin metrics on a daily basis and worked with cross-functional partners including Business Planning, Product Management, Advertising, eCommerce, Sales, and Operations to ensure that all marketing activities were aligned to deliver business goals.
• Turned around 3 quarters of unit decline and delivered 30% Y/Y unit growth and 5% segment share gains in the first year.
• Launched and managed the $700M Vostro brand of laptops. Built go-to-market plans resulting in 300% improvement in brand awareness in 3 months. Created a plan for pre-installed software that won acclaim in US media and analyst reviews.
• Received Vice President’s Award for top performer in a business unit. From July 2006 to March 2008 (1 year 9 months) Austin, Texas AreaSenior Marketing Manager, US Home & Small Business @ Created pricing and competitive strategies for Dell’s $5B desktop PC business. Advised business unit leadership on market dynamics and pricing tactics to drive units, upsells / cross-sells, and customer lifetime value.
• Drove 30% Y/Y unit growth through an innovative and targeted pricing and promotional strategy.
• Significantly improved Dell’s competitive position by identifying emerging threats and potential opportunities, and creating competitive strategies based on breakthrough analysis of industry and channel economics.
• Received MVP Award for top performer in a business unit. From June 2004 to July 2006 (2 years 2 months) Austin, Texas AreaManagement Consultant @ Worked on cutting-edge solutions in supply chain and operations management to industry leaders in the automotive and hi-tech / electronics spaces. From 2000 to 2002 (2 years) Team Lead, Development & Testing @ From 1998 to 2000 (2 years) Assistant Manager, Instrumentation Engineering @ From 1997 to 1998 (1 year)
MBA @ The University of Texas at Austin - Red McCombs School of Business From 2002 to 2004 MSc, Economics @ Birla Institute of Technology and Science, PilaniBE, Instrumentation Engineering @ Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani Sandeep Mitra is skilled in: Product Marketing, Product Management, Competitive Analysis, Strategy, Cross-functional Team Leadership, Pricing, P&L Management, Marketing Strategy, Go-to-market Strategy, Business Planning, Digital Marketing, Direct Marketing, Merchandising, Demand Generation, Product Launch
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension