Began my career writing television commercials and print ads. Moved to digital because brand engagement should last longer than 30 seconds. Bring together human insights, data insights, brand strategy, culture, content, technology and design in my work. Devour digital industry knowledge and all manner of random trivia. Blog about digital trends at whatisaninsight.com. Tweet about digital trends
Began my career writing television commercials and print ads. Moved to digital because brand engagement should last longer than 30 seconds. Bring together human insights, data insights, brand strategy, culture, content, technology and design in my work. Devour digital industry knowledge and all manner of random trivia. Blog about digital trends at whatisaninsight.com. Tweet about digital trends (and other things) at @JediByKnight. Enjoy playing with words, UI, apps and puns.
Multiple award-winner at Spikes Asia, the Effies, the Abbys, the Asian Marketing Effectiveness Awards, Adfest Asia-Pacific, IAMAI, Campaign India Digital Media Awards, etc. These awards were won for brands like Tata Tea (Jaago Re), Pepsi, Louis Philippe, Red Bull and, of course, Sony Music - Why This Kolaveri Di.
Brand Lead @ As Brand Lead, I collaborate with our creative and digital agencies to develop great campaigns for the Google brand and our products. I also work on Google Doodles for India. From April 2014 to Present (1 year 9 months) Sr. Creative Director @ I led a team of over 20 digital creatives, working on cutting-edge digital ideas for brands. From January 2014 to April 2014 (4 months) Strategic Creative Director @ At Hansa Cequity, I lead a growing team of multi-disciplinary digital professionals, working to build the Digital Experience arm of the company. Using several proprietary and non-proprietary tools, we comb data to discover audience and customer insights, and build 360-degree digital solutions for our clients based on those. Key clients we work on include Celio and Westside.
The most recent campaign we've done is the launch of Westside's Twitter account in time for Father's Day. Here, we took Real Time Marketing one step ahead and introduced the concept of Real Time Manufacturing to delight customers on Twitter. From March 2013 to December 2013 (10 months) Creative Head @ As Creative Head at Jack In The Box Worldwide, I led a team of over 20 content writers, creative strategists and designers, devising platform-neutral, integrated, interactive brand solutions. Key clients I handle include Red Bull, Puma, Puma Cricket, House of Louis Philippe, Sony Music, Kerastase, Forest Essentials, Adobe, Comedy Central and Windows Phone 7.
Notable work in my tenure included:
- New business wins like Pepsi, 7Up, Nivea and Windows Phone
- Setting the digital creative agenda for Pepsi's 2013 Oh Yes Abhi campaign
- Conceptualising the all-new louisphilippe.com, the world's first truly touch-friendly website
- survive21dec.com, the latest campaign for EkStop.com
- The Mystery of the Stolen Wardrobe, a Facebook campaign for Louis Philippe
- The Mediterranean Trail, a digital campaign for Louis Philippe
- The launch of The Label, an online men's lifestyle magazine by Louis Philippe
- Spawning the viral rage called Kolaveri
- The launch of Comedy Central in India, India's funniest social media channels
- Making Windows Phone India the largest and most-engaged Windows Phone Facebook Page in the world
- The launch of Puma Faas in India
- The campaign for Red Bull Soapbox Racing
- An 18-minute TV episode for Red Bull BC One All-Stars
- The launch campaign for Strut120.com, an online fashion portal
- Raising the creative profile of JITB, turning it into a much-wanted destination for creative professionals
- Putting together a vision and plan for the agency's future From October 2011 to February 2013 (1 year 5 months) Creative Director (West + South) @ As Creative Director (West + South) at Yahoo India, part of the Sales Strategy team based in Bombay. I led a team that created cutting-edge digital solutions for brands, using Yahoo's content, media and technology properties. I also liaised with and guided vendors, and worked with the Product, Advertiser Product Services, Product Marketing, Custom Brand Experience, Editorial and Business Development teams within Yahoo.
Notable work during this period included:
- Managing Real Beauty, a co-branded property by Dove and Yahoo
- Running India's largest ever blogger outreach for Real Beauty
- Conceptualising Accenture Innovation Jockeys, a campus innovation programme From August 2010 to September 2011 (1 year 2 months) Creative Group Head @ I began my career as an advertising copywriter at Lowe. Key brands I worked on included Tata Tea, Johnson's Baby, Bajaj Auto, VIP bags, Idea Cellular, HSBC and Tilda Rice.
Notable campaigns I worked on included:
- Tata Tea Jaago Re (Politician, Voting, Khilaana-Pilaana)
- Johnson's Baby Soap, Hair Oil, Milk Lotion
- A regional brand campaign for Johnson's Baby across 7 countries
- VIP bags Exchange Offer
I ended my stint as Creative Group Head at Linteractive, the digital wing of Lowe India, leading a small creative team that developed digital solutions for brands. Part of my mandate was also to seed digital as a way of life at Lowe Lintas.
Notable work I did included:
- Conceptualising, designing and writing for the new Lowe Lintas website
- The new website for Tilda Riceland
- Designing the new website for Arms Arcil and creating a brand tonality for the same
- Campaigns for Birla Sun Life Mutual Fund From March 2003 to August 2010 (7 years 6 months) Creative Intern @ Learnt the basics of copywriting. From 2001 to 2001 (less than a year)
MDCM, Communication Management - Advertising @ Symbiosis Institute of Mass Communication From 2001 to 2003 B.Sc., Mathematics @ Jai Hind College From 1998 to 2001 SSC @ G. D. Somani Memorial School, Mumbai From 1986 to 1996 Samit Malkani is skilled in: Social Media Marketing, Digital Strategy, Copywriting, Social Media, Brand Strategy, Brand Positioning, Digital Media, Digital Marketing, Content Development, Content Manag, Conversation Management, Influencer Marketing, Social Influence, New Media Marketing, New Media Strategy