Organizer Hackers to Hackers Conference @ H2HC - Hackers to Hackers Conference
Specialization, Computer Security @
Instituto Tecnologico da Aeronautica - ITA
Rodrigo Rubira Branco (BSDaemon) works as Principal Security Researcher at Intel Corporation in the Security Center of Excellence Client CPU Team and is the Founder of the Dissect || PE Malware Analysis Project. Held positions as Director of Vulnerability & Malware Research at Qualys and as Chief Security Research at Check Point where he founded the Vulnerability
Rodrigo Rubira Branco (BSDaemon) works as Principal Security Researcher at Intel Corporation in the Security Center of Excellence Client CPU Team and is the Founder of the Dissect || PE Malware Analysis Project. Held positions as Director of Vulnerability & Malware Research at Qualys and as Chief Security Research at Check Point where he founded the Vulnerability Discovery Team (VDT) and released dozens of vulnerabilities in many important software. In 2011 he was honored as one of the top contributors to Adobe Vulnerabilities in the past 12 months. Previous to that, he worked as Senior Vulnerability Researcher in COSEINC, as Principal Security Researcher at Scanit and as Staff Software Engineer in the IBM Advanced Linux Response Team (ALRT) also working in the IBM Toolchain (Debugging) Team for PowerPC Architecture. He is a member of the RISE Security Group and is the organizer of Hackers to Hackers Conference (H2HC), the oldest and biggest security research conference in Latin America. He is an active contributor to open-source projects (like ebizzy, linux kernel, others). Accepted speaker in lots of security and open-source related events as H2HC, Black Hat, Hack in The Box, XCon, VNSecurity, OLS, Defcon, Hackito, Ekoparty, Troopers and others.
Specialties: Security & Vulnerability Researching, Operating System Internals, Software Exploitation, Malware Analysis
Principal Security Researcher @ Member of the Security Center of Excellent (SeCoE) in the Client CPU Team and lead of Hack-a-thons across the organization. From October 2013 to Present (2 years 3 months) Founder | Researcher @ Dissect.pe is a malware research project, now in beta stage.
The idea of the project is to provide a free interface for malware analysis, similar to other existing projects, but with advances that will be announced when we start freely dissecting samples.
For now, the system has malware classification and is open for partnership with industry vendors and other projects for feed exchange.
The link for the project is: http://feeds.dissect.pe/ From July 2010 to Present (5 years 6 months) Organizer Hackers to Hackers Conference @ We are organizing since 2004 a security conference called Hackers to Hackers Conference (H2HC).
This conference is increasing every year and is used as a powerful way of communication between high skilled security researchers in Brazil.
Many new techniques, tools and vulnerabilities have been presented during the conference years.
Also acting as a speaker, I presented about the follow topics:
- Polymorphic attacks (where I presented the SCMorphism software that "automagically" generates polymorphic shellcodes)
- Kernel Rootkits x Application Layer Firewalls (with real sample using ISA Server 2004)
- Syscall Proxying || Pivoting (where I showed a framework to be PRELOADED permiting you run any program in your own machine but in fact it was translated to the analysed machine) From January 2004 to Present (12 years) Senior Security Researcher @ Organization founded in 2004 by three brazilian security researchers specialized in vulnerability research, exploit development, source code auditing, reverse engineering, intrusion detection and computer forensics. The main objective is to evolve, ethically sharing the results with the security community. From January 2004 to Present (12 years) Research Assistant @ While doing my PhD, I received a tuition and support from the university to perform research in the field of computer security and to give classes on reverse engineering in different curriculums. From July 2013 to December 2013 (6 months) Urbana-Champaign, Illinois AreaR&D Director @ - Responsible for the Cipher Technology, Cipher Intelligence and Cipher Labs Teams
- Coordinate the R&D and Innovation teams
- Manage the Ethical Hacking Team that provides Penetration Test, Code Review and other high-level technology offers to customers From January 2013 to July 2013 (7 months) Director of Vulnerability & Malware Research @ Lead the Security Research Initiatives in Qualys related to automated malware analysis and vulnerability finding, exploitation and understanding. From July 2011 to December 2012 (1 year 6 months) Chief Security Research @ Responsible for the Vulnerability Discovery Team (VDT) From April 2008 to July 2011 (3 years 4 months) Senior Vulnerability Researcher @ COSEINC is a Singapore based and privately funded company dedicated to providing highly specialized information security services to our clients. Founded in 2004, we are a young and dynamic company whose constitution are computer security experts, from diverse backgrounds and geographies, with distinguished credentials and experience.
It is our aim to provide our clients with the most professional and competent expertise and services at the most reasonable rates so that they can achieve the highest returns on their information technology investment.
Organizationally, COSEINC is structured into 2 teams. They are the Advanced Malware Laboratory (AML) and the Vulnerability Research Laboratory (VRL).
As for the VRL, this team is focus on discovering inherent vulnerabilities in software either due to bad development or weak implementation. Basically software is created by humans, and to err is human. The VRL team is sub-divided into 2 sub-teams, namely the Windows sub-team and the Linux sub-team. Both sub-teams have published several findings. From November 2008 to July 2010 (1 year 9 months) Top Review and Author @ Hakin9 is an important magazine in the IT Security Industry, with leading articles.
For Hakin9 I contributed with two articles (about Kernel Exploitation and Anti-Forensics and about IDS/IPS Evasion). Also, I'm a top reviewer of articles approved for publication, giving feedbacks to the authors as well. From 2007 to February 2010 (3 years) SANS Instructor Brazil @ The first to bring the SANS trainings to Brazil during a Hackers to Hackers Conference (H2HC) I'm authorized to give the Cutting Edge Hacking Techniques, the Mastering Packet Analysis and the Exploitation classes. From November 2006 to December 2009 (3 years 2 months) Staff Software Engineer @ Worked as a software Engineer at IBM, member of the Advanced Linux Response Team (ALRT), part of the IBM Linux Technology Center (IBM/LTC) Brazil also worked in the IBM Toolchain (Debugging) Team for Power Architecture. From May 2006 to May 2008 (2 years 1 month) Principal Security Researcher @ Lead the vulnerability research initiatives in the company. From 2008 to 2008 (less than a year) Professor of Operating Systems @ University Professor for the Operating Systems class, focusing on the design of operating systems trying to bring together the academic focus with real-life experience. From January 2006 to July 2006 (7 months) Senior Security and OpenSource Analyst @ Act as a leader in solution provide using opensource and with focus on security. The company is small-sized, but one of the main sellers of Citrix in the latin America, with many big customers. From January 2005 to May 2006 (1 year 5 months) Senior Security Analyst @ Developed solutions to automate security needs, participated in new projects definitions, taking care of the security design. From 2005 to 2006 (1 year) Security Architect @ Firewalls was founded to provide state-of-art security solutions to different customers needs. The idea was to act as an outsourced company for big vendors, achieving the best-in-class solution design without the need of all burocracy of a big company.
In the company I acted as the design and code of the custom-made solutions for many different customers. As the owner/founder I also had the opportunity to deal with many aspects of the business and grown in experience in understand the challenges behind a company. From 2000 to 2005 (5 years) External Consultant @ - Helped in the new infra-structure of the SCUA Suite which provides Windows Desktop Security
- Developed a Linux PoC of the SCUA Suite for a big RFP in the Brazilian Government
- Participated in Security Consultancy engagements in SCUA customers From January 2002 to November 2004 (2 years 11 months) External Consultant @ Acted as an external consultant in Cyclades Brazil, giving trainings to partners and to support employees about the company equipaments and network in general.
Also, helped the development team in questions regarding Linux. From January 2002 to January 2004 (2 years 1 month) Sr. Security and OpenSource Researcher @ Acted in many different aspects of a new company starting to offer Linux and Security services.
Teacher in the trainings, consultant to many different companies and developer of internal tools to automation of the services. From July 1998 to January 2000 (1 year 7 months)
Master, Computer Engineering @ Instituto Tecnologico da Aeronautica - ITA From 2006 to 2008 Specialization, Computer Security @ Instituto Tecnologico da Aeronautica - ITA From 2006 to 2007 BS, Computer Security @ FGP From 2001 to 2005 Technical, IT @ Universidade Estadual Paulista Júlio de Mesquita Filho From 1998 to 2000 High School @ Colégio São José From 1991 to 1998 Oregon State University Rodrigo Branco is skilled in: Software Exploitation, Vulnerability Research, Malware Research, Malware Analysis, Operating System Internals, Security, Computer Security, Linux, Software, Operating Systems, Information Security Management, Network Security, Information Security, Firewalls, Penetration Testing