Professional Certificate @
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Influential IT Management Executive with 20+ years of moving organizations toward excellence by leveraging technology to improve mission. Forward thinking with a focus on simple solutions that are secure, scalable, and flexible. Diverse experience in rapidly evolving high-growth startup business units, highly-matrixed enterprises, critical infrastructure, and the Defense and Intelligence sectors. Constantly seeking ways to inspire and
Influential IT Management Executive with 20+ years of moving organizations toward excellence by leveraging technology to improve mission. Forward thinking with a focus on simple solutions that are secure, scalable, and flexible. Diverse experience in rapidly evolving high-growth startup business units, highly-matrixed enterprises, critical infrastructure, and the Defense and Intelligence sectors. Constantly seeking ways to inspire and empower others by reducing burdensome process, challenging assumptions, eliminating waste, and encouraging non-traditional thinking.
Molded by years of experience, I constantly reflect on past success and lessons learned in overcoming challenges. Always looking for the best way ahead, I achieve results and take advantage of every opportunity that presents itself to improve myself and my organization.
• Capable of assuming multiple roles simultaneously - highly adaptable
• Excellence in sustained execution
• Strategic and analytic thinking, tactical application
• Enterprise strategy development
• Root cause analysis
• IT program and project management
• Network, information, and operations security
• Secure, distributed architectures
• High density data center design, implementation, management, consolidation, and optimization
• Continuous operations, continuity of operations (COOP), and disaster recovery
• Capacity planning & management
• Infrastructure as a service (IaaS)
• Maniacal focus and Insatiable curiosity
CHIEF INFORMATION SECURITY OFFICER (CISO) @ From November 2015 to Present (2 months) VICE PRESIDENT, MISSION CRITICAL INFORMATION SYSTEMS & FACILITIES @ I tackled my customer's biggest, ugliest problems by delivering simple solutions that were secure, scalable, and flexible enough to meet current challenges and future opportunities. My customers included highly-matrixed enterprises, critical infrastructure, and the Defense and Intelligence sectors. A small sample of my work includes:
- Conducted a comprehensive data center facilities, strategy, and operations analysis for US Special Operations Command (USSOCOM) to include courses of action to support distributed data center architecture to meet Federal Data Center Consolidation Initiative (FDCCI) and warfighter requirements.
- Developed a Federal Government Agency's Disaster Recovery effort and delivered a cost effective solution ahead of a Congressional mandated deadline.
- Delivered a production Hadoop based big data system to fulfill an urgent mission requirement 75% faster than was possible by using standard agency methods and processes.
- Re-engineered a Tier 1 telecommunications provider fiber optic network resulting in a capital expenditure savings of over $20M and an operational cost savings of many times that over the lifetime of the network.
- Designed a new 30kW per cabinet high density data center design using standard chilled water air cooling, a 328% increase in power density over the traditional agency design of 7kW per cabinet.
- Performed an exhaustive vulnerability and cost analysis of the national power and communications grids to determine the best locations to build new customer data center facilities.
- Served as a subject matter expert for the Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP) Task Force and as a key participant in a FDCCI initiative to consolidate multiple data centers of several partner organizations into a single facility. From February 2007 to November 2015 (8 years 10 months) CHIEF INFORMATION SYSTEMS SECURITY ENGINEER @ I created a new business service by directing all data center design and implementation activities for a Federal Government agency’s Critical Mission Assurance Program and provided technical leadership for disaster recovery, continuity of operations, and information system accreditation activities for a Federal Government Agency's Central Computing Facility Backup (CCFB) program. Highlights include:
- Delivered a highly sensitive mission critical facility a year early and under budget by analyzing and then streamlining existing agency IT and organizational business processes. This accomplishment was lauded by the agency Director, with the CIO stating that this new process would serve as the model for future network design and data center fit-out.
- Introduced and implemented new network engineering concepts learned from commercial ISP experience that solved long standing issues with distributed load balanced services.
- Led certification and accreditation efforts (DIACAP, DCID 6/3) for a PL4 system and the facility (DCID 6/9) that it was housed in.
- As chief INFOSEC engineer maintained expert or working knowledge of all relevant standards and regulations to include NIST Special Publications (guidelines and frameworks), and Federal Information Processing Standards (FIPS).
- Achieved IAT & IAM Level III Certification. From April 2004 to February 2007 (2 years 11 months) PROGRAM MANAGER, RED TEAM SERVICES @ I developed a new cyber security business service from scratch, providing comprehensive full-spectrum simulated adversarial Computer Network Operations activities against Department of Defense and Federal Government networks. In a nutshell, we excelled at finding holes in our client's defenses before the real bad guys did.
- Recruited, trained, and mentored RED TEAM members and directed all threat emulation activities.
- Directed Open Source Intelligence (OSINT) gathering on target systems as well as hostile nation states and hacker groups that possess offensive Information Operations capabilities to build accurate target and threat analysis.
- Contributed to the update of the Information Assurance (IA) Defense-Information Assurance Red Team Methodology (D-IART), an independent threat-based effort by an interdisciplinary, simulated opposing force which, after proper safeguards are established, utilizes both active and passive capabilities on a formal, time-bounded tasking to expose and exploit IA vulnerabilities of friendly forces as a means to improve the readiness of DoD Components. From February 2003 to April 2004 (1 year 3 months) NCOIC RED TEAM @ U.S. Army Information Operations
Recruited, trained, and led members of the RED TEAM, supervising vulnerability assessments and RED TEAM activities on DoD systems, served as the senior Army National Guard representative for RED TEAM activities to the Intelligence Community and U.S. Army. From October 2001 to April 2004 (2 years 7 months) INDEPENDENT CONSULTANT @ Produced a unique IT vulnerability assessment methodology that was incorporated into the INFOSEC Assessment Methodology (IAM) while serving as a member of the US Army National Guard’s Computer Network Integrity Test Unit. Served as a RED TEAM subject matter expert in various working groups at the classified level defining roles and responsibilities, common certification and training criteria, the identification of legal issues and potential liabilities, policy creation, policy and regulatory enforcement.
- Conducted numerous vulnerability assessments and penetration tests for several Fortune 100 and 500 level customer’s enterprise information systems, wireless networks, web based applications and databases. Analysis resulted in the incorporation of security best practices into system life cycles.
- Designed and implemented several defense in-depth architectures to include integrated firewall, intrusion detection (host and network based), anti-virus, and event monitoring and correlation.
- Recruited by a “Big 5” consultancy to conduct a business viability and technical analysis of a large national level Internet Service Provider prior to an IPO and later acquisition.
- Developed an ecommerce website and electronic payment and order fulfillment system resulting in a first to market position for a Fortune 100 company’s business incubator program. From June 2000 to February 2003 (2 years 9 months) DIRECTOR, IT OPERATIONS/ENGINEERING & DEVELOPMENT @ A high-growth national level ISP start-up offering “family friendly” and business appropriate Internet access to parents, schools, and corporations with granular control of content delivery.
Reporting directly to the Chief Financial Officer and the Chief Executive Officer and acting in the capacity of a CTO, responsible for the management of all Engineering & Development and IT Operations. Achieved major technological breakthroughs given tight schedules and limited resources resulting in a first-to-market position for national filtered ISP services.
- Recruited and organized entire IT organization to include IT Operations (systems, security, network), and Engineering & Development (client/server programming, Internet applications and web development).
- Led the deployment of a large scale (2.5 million active user), “carrier class” IMAP and POP3 email service to include web based user interface, redundant systems, and distributed services. The architecture allowed for no single points of failure and the ability to upgrade the system while in full operation.
- Led the design and implementation of a secure Internet based customer services portal to include secure registration, “hands free” software installation, authentication and proprietary Internet content delivery services resulting in rapid customer growth and the decreased need for phone based technical support. In early 2000, the organization achieved a sustainable “churn rate” of 9%, the best in the industry. From August 1998 to June 2000 (1 year 11 months) MANAGER, IT OPERATIONS @ Original member of ViaVideo, a start-up video teleconferencing (VTC) innovator that was acquired by Polycom in 1998. ViaVideo developed the first non-PC based VTC system, from concept to production in less than 15 months revolutionizing the VTC industry.
Reported to the Chief Financial Officer, managed daily operations of IT department to include all data, voice, and videoconferencing assets and services.
- Oversaw the design, deployment, and operations of enterprise wide security services to include firewalls, voice (PBX & Voicemail), email, web site, and development (development, test, and stage) environments.
- Managed the support of over 150 network endpoints, servers, videoconferencing equipment, communications assets, and 450+ special circuits.
- Provided high tier engineering support for clients, resellers, and in-house users of the Polycom ViewStation videoconferencing system and maintained a geographically dispersed multi-domain Microsoft NT Server, distributed Microsoft Exchange Domain network, and a heterogeneous Unix network. From May 1996 to August 1998 (2 years 4 months) OPERATOR - TEAM LEADER @ Joint Counterdrug Task Force - Special Operations Detachment
Routinely led a team of highly skilled operators on Counternarcotics and intelligence gathering Special Operations missions.
- Maintained expert proficiency on a vast array of technically advanced surveillance and secure and jam-resistant communications equipment, field-craft, survival, CQB, long-range reconnaissance skills, airmobile operations, combat trauma treatment, small unit tactics, and small arms weapons systems.
- Distinguished Honor graduate for both Basic and Advanced Non-Commissioned Officers Leadership Development Courses (BNCOC, ANCOC).
- Received Army Command Sergeant Major’s Leadership Excellence Award, the Army Commendation and Army Achievement medals for job performance as well as several letters of appreciation and commendation from superiors and Task Force members.
- Prior to tour with Special Operations Detachment I held various leadership positions over a nine-year period to include Calvary Scout Reconnaissance Platoon Sergeant, Mortar Platoon Sergeant, and Scout Squad Leader. From February 1993 to October 1995 (2 years 9 months)
Master of Business Administration (MBA), Business Administration and Management, General @ University of Missouri-Columbia, College of BusinessBachelor of Applied Science (B.A.Sc.), Computer Science @ TUI University Robert Daugherty is skilled in: Data Center, Security, Disaster Recovery, Network Security, Network Design, Business Continuity, Information Security, Integration, Mission Critical, Network Engineering, Computer Security, IT Management, DoD, Mission Critical Facilities, Telecommunications
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension