For the past seven years I have been working at Marvell Semiconductor as an Staff Mechanical Engineer responsible for the mechanical design of Application Processor development platforms. Many of these development platforms were fully functionable pre-production ready mobile devices. They included 7” and 10.1” LCD’s with touch screen running the Linux or Android OS. Some incorporated several
For the past seven years I have been working at Marvell Semiconductor as an Staff Mechanical Engineer responsible for the mechanical design of Application Processor development platforms. Many of these development platforms were fully functionable pre-production ready mobile devices. They included 7” and 10.1” LCD’s with touch screen running the Linux or Android OS. Some incorporated several plug-in boards, WIFI modules, etc.. This has been a great an challenging opportunity in the dynamic and fast moving mobile division. Technology has always been my passion, following the Technology curve from desktop, to Laptop, to Handhelds PC‘s, to Cell phones and Tablet Computers. Marvell has provided several opportunities for me grow my skills and develop as an engineering professional.
Mechanical Engineer @ Consumer Electronics Product Engineering (CEPE)
Mechanical Product Development
- UG NX 9.0
- Windchill 10.2 (Product Life Management)
- MCAD / ECAD IDF Collaboration SME From May 2014 to Present (1 year 6 months) Framingham, MASenior Staff Mechanical Engineer @ Cellular and Handheld Group (CHG)
Responsible for the mechanical design and development of Application Processor development platforms for both cellular and application ARM processors. Designed fully functional “reference design” platforms for software and hardware development for internal and external customers. Managed component selection, mechanical hardware, assembly documentation, and material procurement for platform builds.
· Collaborated with EE’s on the mechanical development of hardware, providing PCB board layout and component placement dxf file created in Pro Engineer CREO prior to start of board layout. Reviewed BRD file drops to ensure DFM rules and component placements were maintained, eliminating component interferences, and costly respins.
· Designed hard tooled plastic enclosures of mobile phones and Tablet computers resulting in realistic reference platforms for customers and internal development teams for product development.
· Managed quick-turn, high volume injection molders to meet customer and business demands for high quality enclosures and reduced product cycle time.
· Coordinated work flow, assembly instructions, product test, and product packaging with external OEM‘s resulting in successful new product manufacturing start-up.
· Designed development platforms per Q-Seven automotive design guidelines of hardware for Smart Car Software applications enabling automotive designers access to Marvell’s cellular and application ARM processors.
· Consulted with external customers in product layout, product development, and thermal design/ solutions, resulting in Marvell SoC integration into new customer tablets, mobile smart phones, and set-top boxes. From November 2006 to December 2013 (7 years 2 months) Marlborough, MASenior Mechanical Engineer @ Application Processor Software Engineering (APSE)
Responsible for the mechanical design of reference development platforms for the cell phone market. Designed prototype phones for customer and internal hardware and software development teams resulting in customer integration of XScale ARM processors into high volume manufacturing. Managed component selection, mechanical hardware, assembly documentation, and material procurement for platform builds.
· Designed development platforms of cellular and ARM application based hardware.
· Worked closely with EE’s on the mechanical development of hardware, reviewing BRD files to ensure DFM rules and component placements are maintained per dxf, eliminating component interferences, ensuring multiple plug-in board clearances, board stack-ups, socketing, and component keep-outs area’s.
· All product design was done using Pro Engineer.Wildfire 5.0
· Managed mechanical budgets for product development of platforms, tooling, and manufacturing costs. From February 2004 to November 2006 (2 years 10 months) Hudson MAStaff Mechanical Engineer @ Responsible for the mechanical design and development of Accutech Wireless Sensor Instrumentation for Intrinsically safe and explosion proof apparatuses in hazardous locations. Successfully coordinated submission of apparatuses through FM, and UL /CSA Certifications. Performed sustaining engineering duties for the day to day manufacturing operations.
- Designed and developed explosion proof apparatuses for hazardous locations.
- Designed and developed Accutech’s Industrial Wireless platform of instrumentation.
- Managed FM, UL / CSA, certifications for both intrinsically safe and explosion proof apparatuses.
- Designed IP67 & NEMA 4X certified enclosures for Wireless devices.
- Designed instrumentation from internal and customer specifications to meet strict product requirements.
- Designed and developed various test fixtures, and test hardware for manufacturing.
- Managed new product introduction into manufacturing, coordinating work flow, assembly instructions, test, and product packaging.
- Product design done with Solidworks 10. From 2002 to 2004 (2 years) Hudson MAStaff Mechanical Engineer @ Responsible for the mechanical design and development of Ucentric's Home Network platform.
Designed and developed plastic injection molded, vacuum molded and sheet metal enclosures.
Collaborated with EE’s to controlled component locations on hardware to ensure form, fit and function of the complete system platform.
Designed custom models for product and technology demonstrations to Angel Investors and customers.
Designed set-top boxes for customer interaction with home network box using Pro Engineer. From 2000 to 2002 (2 years) Maynard, MAPrincipal Mechanical Engineer @ Mechanical design and development of the Aero 8000 Handheld PC running Windows CE.
Managed new product release to overseas manufacturing OEM‘s.
Highly successful in working with cross-functional development team.
Formalized all products mechanical and reliability requirements, approved mechanical design and plastics development of all products.
Collaborated with Marketing to ensure product requirements and deliverables were met.
Managed product development with OEM manufacturing in Japan, Taiwan, Phillippines, and China. From 1998 to 2000 (2 years) Marlborough, MAPrincipal Mechanical Engineer @ Mechanical design and development of the Digital HiNote Ultra II, HiNote VP 500 & 700 series Notebook products resulting in Digital’s 1st rugged lower cost notebook.
Consultant to internal notebook development teams for thermal solutions for Digital’s next generation of Ultra-thin notebook computers.
Collaborated with EE’s on board layout to ensure component placements, and packaging requirements are met. Provided mechanical DFM of PCB to ensure board manufacturability.
Selected and sourced various connectors, components and materials for production and development builds.
Interfaced with vendors to design, evaluate, and procure new technologies.
Oversee product’s mechanical testing / requirements including shock and vibration, packaging drop test, thermal testing and functional testing.
Collaborated with EMI/RFI test engineers for mechanical solutions to lower noise.
Supported Digital Manufacturing and Quality from production startup to end of life of product.
Product designs were created using Pro Engineer. From 1994 to 1998 (4 years) Hudson, MASenior Manufacturing Design Engineer @ Semiconductor Manufacturing
Designed and development of injection molded piece parts for the IC business.
Design and developed various electro-mechanical piece parts; i.e.: Test sockets, test carriers, and related fixturing to support IC test manufacturing.
Designed vacuum formed shipping and WIP trays for manufacturing.
Evaluate and approve first article pre-production parts and tooling.
Interfaced with plastics vendors, prepared reports to qualify new tooling and piece parts.
Custom Packaging Engineer for Digital Semiconductor Marketing.
Implement new handling procedures and SPC / JIT into various production processes.
Originate and formalize mechanical detailed drawings in accordance with ANSI Y14.5M-1982 drafting standards using Unigraphics II CAD software. From 1987 to 1994 (7 years) Hudson, MA
Richard Plourde is skilled in: SoC, Mechanical Engineering, Debugging, ASIC, Processors, IC, Systems Engineering, Product Development, Design for Manufacturing, Industrial Design, PCB layout design, Mechanical Product..., BOM creation, Thermal Analysis, Semiconductors, PCB Design, Embedded Systems, Engineering, Manufacturing, Testing
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension