Bachelor of Arts - BA, Asian Studies @
I have an abiding interest in learning new programming languages, beginning with Pascal and 6502 Assembly in middle school; I
I have an abiding interest in learning new programming languages, beginning with Pascal and 6502 Assembly in middle school; I founded the Meetup group 7 Languages in 7 Months NYC and ran it for two years; and I spend my spare time delving into Clojure and ClojureScript. My favorite part of coding: creating new things from scratch to delight the user. My second favorite part: whittling legacy code down to its elegant (and maintainable!) core.
Software Engineer @ Amplify is an education technology company providing tablet hardware and software for use in K–12 classrooms.
I worked on a collaborative team whose primary duty was to build and maintain the website that teachers used to build lesson plans and other materials, to be shared with students in the classroom. We used Angular.js on the web front end, Ruby on Rails in the middle layer, Play for Java on the back end, and Android on the tablet. Notable work: we migrated creation, accessing and updating of lessons from a sequential event-based system to a RESTful resource system; and we implemented seamless integration with a third-party provider of a tool for teachers to create quizzes and administer them to students, while preserving our UI look and feel.
I also helped roll out the tablet product onsite in Michigan and North Carolina. I worked with our implementation team, district staff, teachers, and students to ensure successful school launches
And last but not least, I started a weekly workshop on the principles and practical applications of Clojure, for colleagues on the engineering team From September 2013 to December 2014 (1 year 4 months) Greater New York City AreaStudent @ The Recurse Center describes itself as "a retreat for programmers." More fully, it's a hippie anarchist commune for programmers to work on whatever they want to and to collaborate on each other's projects, which turns itself into a job placement service at the end.
My final project: reverse-engineering an Apple IIc game from the early 80s called RobotWar, in which players write programs in a language that comes with the game, then compile the programs down to a virtual machine code and load them into the robots, who fight to the death in an arena. The project involved compiler-writing, concurrency, graphics, and physics. Implementing all this was the perfect way to teach myself a new programming language: Clojure. From June 2013 to August 2013 (3 months) Senior Front End Developer @ • Developed game components and enhanced UI for WWE Superfan Showdown, a Facebook gamification app for World Wrestling Entertainment
• Front end engineer on Agile development team creating new virtual currency trading site, swwapp.com
• Sole responsibility for re-architecting, performance optimization and launch of front end portion of site, using Sass, Backbone.js (with MVVM plugin), jQuery, jQuery UI, and RequireJS
• Re-architect and refactor code inherited from pilot version of project provided by consulting firm, mostly by organizing it into more reusable modules
• Work closely with designer, back end developers and product owner to develop new features, from mockup to production
• Designed and created system to seamlessly transfer text and metadata back and forth between the web CMS (Symphony) and the print workflow (InCopy/InDesign)
• Took a leadership role in planning for the paper's conversion from primarily a weekly print publication into primarily an online daily.
• Developed teaching materials and trained editorial staff in production software (InCopy/InDesign)
• Managed and updated the Forward’s website while that was still a one-person job (1997-2004) From 1997 to June 2012 (15 years)
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension