Solutions Architect @ From March 2015 to Present (10 months) London, United KingdomLead Solutions Architect @ Reporting to the director of technology my role was to work with EE’s solutions architects and technical leads to facilitate the design and delivery of various software solutions. I was responsible for the overall design of all digital infrastructure solutions during
Solutions Architect @ From March 2015 to Present (10 months) London, United KingdomLead Solutions Architect @ Reporting to the director of technology my role was to work with EE’s solutions architects and technical leads to facilitate the design and delivery of various software solutions. I was responsible for the overall design of all digital infrastructure solutions during my time with EE, as well as numerous cost saving initiatives and business process improvements. My major achievement whilst at EE was designing and delivering the infrastructure to support the new eService platform (myaccount.ee.co.uk), which supports over 5 million EE customers. From August 2014 to February 2015 (7 months) Leeds, United KingdomDevOps Conultant @ From 2015 to 2015 (less than a year) Lead Solutions Architect @ My role within Orange Digital was split between leading a DevOps team (delivering AWS based infrastructure) and solution architecture design. The major areas I worked on were as follows:
EE Digital Transformation Program – The goal of the DTP program was to replace all of EE’s existing digital systems with a new technology stack and a new supporting platform. My responsibilities included designing the AWS infrastructure and deployment systems that hosted EE’s main web site ee.co.uk (built on Adobe Experience Manager) and the EE shop shop.ee.co.uk (build on hybris). I was also responsible for the design and implementation of EE’s site search as well the integration between EE’s digital platform and the supporting backend services.
Orange DDoS Protection Platform – The goal of the DDoS protection project was to design and implement a system that could protect Orange’s legacy platforms from a virus that would periodically initiate DDoS attacks against the Orange estate. My role was to design an adaptive platform on AWS that could analyse and filter the incoming HTTP requests before passing them on to the upstream Orange legacy platforms (thus preventing the attacking virus from taking down the target sites). The solution used a combination of AWS EC2 auto scaling, Chef, Nginx and Sumologic (for log analysis) to identify patterns in the HTTP requests and then blacklist attacking IP addresses accordingly. The DDoS protection platform was successful at defeating the attacking virus and was used as a template for other Orange and EE DDoS security protection projects.
EE Brand Launch – The EE brand launch encompassed the creation of several EE websites (explore.ee.co.uk, business.ee.co.uk, ee.co.uk) and the platform used to host them. My role was to evaluate various CMS frameworks for use on the platform and then to design the supporting AWS infrastructure. I was also responsible for the performance testing and optimisation of the new websites upon their completion. From October 2010 to July 2014 (3 years 10 months) Technical Lead @ During this period I worked on several short-term contracts as a freelance developer for my own company (Poseidon Software), which included:
- Porting several C++ Windows Desktop Applications to C# .Net.
- Website development for Firefly Photography as PHP developer.
- Database design and optimisation for several large websites using Microsoft SQL server. From June 2009 to October 2010 (1 year 5 months) Manchester, United KingdomSoftware Developer @ I was initially employed as a C# ASP.Net/SQL server developer in order to create data driven web applications that allowed for the core banking system databases to be securely updated in real time. After the successful launch of two high profile projects I began working on the HBOS core desktop platform (CCAgent) using Visual Basic 6. During my time at Lloyds I was part of two large development teams that were involved in all aspects of the waterfall development lifecycle. As well my development role I produced detailed technical architecture documentation of the HBOS accounts and sales systems that were used to plan the HBOS to Lloyds migration. From October 2008 to April 2009 (7 months) Analyst Developer @ CapitalServ.net was a hosting and web development company that produced websites for a variety of customers. I was involved in the design and development of numerous data driven web sites using ASP.Net, SQL server and AJAX throughout my time there. I worked as a tech lead on several projects and was responsible for the recruitment of many members of the development team. From November 2005 to September 2008 (2 years 11 months) Manchester, United KingdomSenior Application Programmer @ Terrapin Internet was a software house that built custom web applications for clients as well as producing two popular network software tools: Terrapin FTP (at one point the most popular FTP software in the UK) and Terrapin MultiNet (an email and HTTP proxy). My role was split between designing and developing windows network applications in C++ and developing custom data driven web applications for clients. The areas I worked on were:
- Technical lead and architect on an enterprise level facilities management and accounting system called [email protected], used by both 3M and Esso. This project was vast and spanned several years of my employment at Terrapin Internet. The system was used to remotely manage workflow, communication, stock ordering, and accounting in over twenty 3M factories across Canada, America, Wales, England and Scotland. The system allowed 3M’s head office to remotely monitor and control all aspects of the daily running of their factories as well as implementing a full accounting system showing efficient trends between different aspects of manufacturing. The system was later adapted and licensed to several Esso Oil Refineries to provide the same facilities management functionality that was used in the 3M factories.
- Technical lead for the Terrapin operations team which provided second and third line support to customers, resellers and direct business clients. Terrapin received several outstanding magazine reviews for the quality of their support during my employment with the company.
- Technical lead on Terrapin reseller intranet system.
- Lead designer of a modular framework used to provide support for plug-in modules to the Terrapin MultiNet proxy.
- Technical lead on a custom web server project written in C++ and used by the MultiNet proxy to provide web mail functionality.
- Senior developer on the Terrapin MultiNet SMTP and POP3 servers written in C++.
- Senior developer on the Terrapin MultiNet HTTP proxy server written in C++. From September 1998 to October 2005 (7 years 2 months) Harrogate, United Kingdom
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension