Bachelor of Science, Journalism @
University of Oregon School of Journalism and Communication
Rachel is a senior associate at Inner Circle Labs, a PR firm working with companies in the consumer and lifestyle tech industries. Her work includes building relationships with media and securing coverage for clients; running speaking and award programs; helping to manage day-to-day activities and communications with clients; managing associate projects including media databases and events/awards trackers;
Rachel is a senior associate at Inner Circle Labs, a PR firm working with companies in the consumer and lifestyle tech industries. Her work includes building relationships with media and securing coverage for clients; running speaking and award programs; helping to manage day-to-day activities and communications with clients; managing associate projects including media databases and events/awards trackers; assisting managers in implementing strategies and tactics; participating in messaging sessions and media trainings; and more. Rachel began at ICLabs as an intern, was promoted to an associate and has since been promoted to senior associate.
Specialties: speaking and award submissions, pitching media, writing, editing, verbal and written communication, graphics and layout design, multimedia projects, audio slideshows, social media, strategic communications.
Senior Associate @ • Work closely with managers and junior associates to execute strategic communications plans for up to seven clients at a time
• Manage junior associates on client projects such as monthly activity reports and speaking submissions for executives, and develop review cycles to maintain client databases
• Pitch press on various media initiatives, which have resulted in secured briefings and coverage while simultaneously building my own relationships with reporters
• Write press releases, case studies and blog posts using AP style to promote client services and products, as well as create 3-month PR plans that include various strategies and tactics to best market clients
• Manage event and speaking calendars for clients, and draft submissions for relevant opportunities, resulting in secured speaking positions at major conferences in the tech industry
• Develop messaging, website content and FAQs that are consistent across channels to promote products and services
• Play an integral role in planning the company’s annual tech conference that has featured influential members of the tech community, which includes overseeing website content development, securing speakers and moderators, determining run of show, and staffing the conference
• Serve on the company’s social media committee, which includes brainstorming and maintaining an editorial calendar for various social media channels including Twitter, Instagram and Facebook, and managing content development for the company blog From June 2013 to Present (2 years 7 months) Healthcare Intern @ • Worked on a celebrity campaign for a major pharmaceutical company, including writing website copy, transcribing video footage, creating a social media editorial calendar and contributing to the development of media relations strategies
• Developed daily media monitoring reports for clients, as well as monitored for coverage during large conferences and crises using Radian6 and NexisDirect
• Built media lists using CisionPoint for healthcare, consumer and technology clients
• Contributed to the development of a comprehensive public relations plan, including media outreach and social media strategy, and assisted in client implementation
• Conducted research and assisted in the content development of infographics and media materials
• Assisted with financial management for accounts, including the creation of monthly activity reports to track the team’s work and budget for the client, as well as quarterly recap reports
• Created an editorial calendar of new content for client’s website, as well as edited existing content From January 2013 to May 2013 (5 months) Strategic Communications Intern @ • Wrote feature stories about SSC sporting achievements from previous financial year for the organization’s annual report
• Developed Paralympic athlete profiles for the Prime Minister to use in a national address
• Wrote a welcome address for SSC CEO, who served as the guest of honor at a sporting event
• Edited final drafts of new initiatives and the annual report to be released to government officials and steering committees From July 2012 to September 2012 (3 months) SingaporeMedia Relations Intern @ • Write and edit news releases about University of Oregon events and news.
• Conduct video interviews and shoot video footage for Inside Oregon, an online publication for the University of Oregon, which is seen by 7,000 faculty and staff members.
• Write and edit weekly feature stories for Inside Oregon, one of which resulted in local television coverage and blog coverage.
• Manage Inside Oregon Twitter account and create engagement by re-tweeting stories of interest for University of Oregon faculty and staff.
• Increased Twitter followers by 20.8 percent.
• Create, update and distribute media contact rosters using MEDIAtlas, a global media database. From September 2011 to July 2012 (11 months) Account Executive for Friendship Foundation for International Students @ • Edit and update client website and blog monthly
• Conduct interviews for new orientation video for client
• Assist with planning client events From January 2012 to June 2012 (6 months)
Bachelor of Science, Journalism @ University of Oregon From 2008 to 2012 Bachelor of Science, Journalism @ University of Oregon School of Journalism and Communication From 2008 to 2012 Rachel Starr is skilled in: Adobe InDesign, Final Cut Pro, Copy Editing, Video Editing, Audio Editing, Writing Skills, MEDIAtlas, Microsoft Office, iWorks, Writing