Bachelor’s Degree, Nursing Bachelor's equivalent @
Samuel Merritt University
Healthcare consultation and analysis is my passion. Whether nursing a patient at the bedside, operating a nursing department as a clinical manager, attending board meetings as a Chief Nurse Executive, or volunteering in a medical missionary outreach in Africa, I truly can attest to the satisfaction of my profession. With over fifteen years of experience in healthcare,
Healthcare consultation and analysis is my passion. Whether nursing a patient at the bedside, operating a nursing department as a clinical manager, attending board meetings as a Chief Nurse Executive, or volunteering in a medical missionary outreach in Africa, I truly can attest to the satisfaction of my profession. With over fifteen years of experience in healthcare, medical-legal consulting is a culmination of my profession.
I received my Bachelor’s degree in Neurosciences from the University of California in Riverside, my accelerated nursing degree from Samuel Merritt College in Oakland, and my dual degree in Master’s of Science in Nursing Administration and Health Care Administration with high honors from California State University Long Beach.
As former Chief Nurse Executive and department director, I can address operational and organizational issues that a clinical nurse cannot such as staffing, regulations, accreditations, chain of command, and policy and procedure for standards of care. I can identify deviations from care against established standards with supporting research and relevant information.
As an active clinician, I can quickly decipher and translate medical records, organize patient charts, and simplify the complexities of medical information. With an eagle eye approach, I can save you time and money by screening cases before you pay to send them to expensive medical experts.
With my expertise in healthcare as a consultant and your expertise in law, together we can achieve the best results for your client(s).
CEO and Founder @ • Assess and interpret medical records by identifying damages to the injured party.
• Screen cases for merit and provide written reports with supporting documents from healthcare law and regulations
• Support attorneys’ case by searching medical and nursing literatures
• Serve as attorneys’ liaison by interviewing defense clients and key witnesses, as well as interface with other experts and key consultants regarding the case
• Support with discovery and court preparations by assisting with questions for depositions and trial examinations
• Analyze and summarize depositions and past testimonies From March 2013 to Present (2 years 10 months) President @ Assist attornies in winning medical legal cases. From 2013 to Present (2 years) RN Home Health Care @ • Assess resources, evaluate needs, and provide education and clinical services to homebound patients
• Clinical skills application include infusion therapy, complex wound care, wound vac therapy, enteral feedings, foley care and insertion, tracheostomy care, medication administrations via different routes, respiratory treatments and management, diabetic teaching and other needed services
• Coordinate care and resources with Case Managers, Physicians, and ancillary services
• Knowledge and applications of OASIS, Medicare and JCAHO standards to nursing care From May 2008 to Present (7 years 8 months) Orange County, California AreaRN Medical-Surgical registry pool @ • Execute physician orders to provide care for medical-surgical patients in various hospitals.
• Functions include nursing assessment, medication administrations, performing nursing procedures, and patient admissions and discharges
• Hospital assignments include Western Medical Center Santa Ana, Western Anaheim Hospital, Chapman Hospital, and Fountain Valley Hospital From January 2008 to May 2008 (5 months) Orange County, California AreaNursing Management Resource Specialist @ • Provided Clinical Management coverage for Med/Surg, DOU, and ICU Departments
• Management coverage included daily operational unit management, staffing, quality care, and budget considerations
• Led JCAHO Mock Tracer group surveys in preparation of Joint Commision survey
• Provided education to hospital staff on Core Measures, VTE Prophylaxis, and clinical updates From June 2007 to January 2008 (8 months) Chief Nurse Executive @ • Responsible for all clinical operations and nursing operations, staffing, budgeting, strategic directions and compliance of all clinical departments. Oversee over 500 nursing employee.
• Responsible for compliance regulations such as JCAHO, CMS, Medicare, and DHS
• Maintain organizational strategies, operational efficiencies, and improving quality in all nursing practices
• Implement and maintain performance improvement, quality care, education and policies and procedures for all nursing departments
• Represent the hospital in community relations and leadership teams From August 2006 to June 2007 (11 months) Director Subacute Long Term Care Unit @ • Overall supervision of nursing staff, social worker, and activities leader
• Administer nursing program, evaluates operation necessities, budgets and performs personnel management functions
• Ensure staff and compliance to hospital and regulatory agencies such as JCAHO, Medicare, Medi-Cal and DHS
• Develop relationships with physician groups, families, hospital administrative team, outside resources, and ancillary service personnel
• Provide necessary clinical and operational education to clinical staff and physicians From June 2005 to August 2006 (1 year 3 months) RN Field Case Manager Subacute @ • Review medical records comprehensively and determines appropriateness for long term care placements
• Provide lectures and in-services to Physician groups, discharge planners, hospital staff, executive hospital leaders on long term care services
• Coordinate with physicians, administrators, clinical managers, business office, family and necessary healthcare professional to appropriately transfer patient from acute to long term care From August 2003 to June 2005 (1 year 11 months) RN Neuro DOU @ • Execute orders by Physicians and coordinate plan of care for up to three patients in the Neurosurgical Definitive Observation Unit
• Provide nursing care to patients with various neurosurgical diagnosis including but not limited to trauma, stroke, traumatic brain injury, brain tumors, or spinal cord injuries From July 2001 to December 2003 (2 years 6 months) Clinical Nurse Educator Med Surg and ICU @ • Assess educational needs and provided updated educational materials and resources to nursing staff in the Neurosurgical and Intensive Care Units
• Coordinate clinical and Nursing Grand Rounds
• Update self study learning modules and clinical competencies
• Provide in-service to nursing staff regarding change of practice, new products, and updates on policies and procedures
• Conduct mock code blue as needed in various nursing departments From February 2003 to August 2003 (7 months) RN Orthopedic Surgical Unit @ • Provide nursing care for orthopedic-surgical patients post-operatively
• Clinical skills applied include dressing changes, complex wound care, drainage tubes, medication administrations, and infusion therapies From March 2002 to March 2003 (1 year 1 month)
Master’s Degree, Nursing Administration and Health Care Administration, High Honors @ California State University-Long Beach From 2003 to 2005 Bachelor’s Degree, Nursing Bachelor's equivalent @ Samuel Merritt University From 1999 to 2000 Bachelor’s Degree, Neuroscience @ University of California, Riverside From 1992 to 1996 Pia Spitzer is skilled in: BLS, Inpatient, Pediatrics, Healthcare Information Technology, Telemetry, Nursing Education, Home Care, IV, Cpr Certified, HIPAA, Medical Terminology, Wound Care, Patient Advocacy, Health Education, Public Health
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension