SVP Finance and Admin @ Canadian Tire Corporation Retail Division
Chief Financial Officer @ Hollinger International Inc.
Chief Financial Officer @ Southam Publications Inc.
A Chief Financial Officer (Chartered Accountant) with a track record in large publicly traded companies, smaller high growth companies and financially distressed companies including 15 years of business recovery and restructuring services. Adept at operating under challenging circumstances including acquisition integration, shareholder disputes, changing capital requirements and rapid growth scenarios. A conceptual thinker with robust analytical skills
A Chief Financial Officer (Chartered Accountant) with a track record in large publicly traded companies, smaller high growth companies and financially distressed companies including 15 years of business recovery and restructuring services. Adept at operating under challenging circumstances including acquisition integration, shareholder disputes, changing capital requirements and rapid growth scenarios. A conceptual thinker with robust analytical skills and an ease with communications at all levels. Industry experience includes utilities, retail, publishing, manufacturing and real estate. Areas of expertise include public and private financings, financial restructurings and turnarounds, corporate acquisitions and dispositions, and reporting to the public markets in Canada and the United States.
Specialties: Integration of finance and accounting function with operations.
Contract negotiation and structuring
SVP Finance and Admin @ Canada’s most-shopped general merchandise retailer, $7,500M revenue and 475 stores
Senior Vice President Finance and Administration
Responsible for Division Finance function, 200 employees, $13M budget.
· Introduced longer term strategic planning approach, aligning Division objectives to corporate vision.
· Introduced cultural changes within the function to create customer focus to business unit. Implemented operational planning with a focus on business drivers and performance measurement;
· Enhanced management reporting, improving frequency, timeliness and comprehension of forecasts and budgets.
· Led divisional activities in the conversion to International Financial Reporting Standards. From May 2008 to March 2010 (1 year 11 months) Chief Financial Officer @ Responsible for a Toronto/Chicago-based shared services Finance team of 25 providing corporate finance support to four operating entities within Hollinger International.
· As the senior finance executive of both corporations, was key contributor ensuring that the Canadian Newspaper Division maintain its public company status, during a period of renewal necessitated by events resulting from conflicts between majority and minority shareholders.
· Assumed leadership role as CFO and Director of Hollinger Canadian Newspapers following resignations of all but one Director. Instilled confidence and trust with Board members by ensuring accurate and timely updates, keeping the Board fully apprised of ongoing operations to resolve key issues.
· Coordinated due diligence process relating to the divestiture of significant portions of the company’s business and undertaking.
· Successfully addressed and managed competing demands of Canadian and US public market regulators, tax authorities, boards of directors, audit committees during a period when the Company was: divesting significant components of its business, undergoing an investigation by a special committee of the Board of Directors and by the SEC, subject to income tax audits and re-establishing in its entirety the corporate finance and accounting function. External auditors issued an unqualified audit report as a result.
· Led the external financial reporting, risk management, internal control, regulatory compliance and financing functions, including implementing processes to comply with recently enacted statutory obligations relating to internal controls and disclosure controls and procedures. From October 2002 to January 2006 (3 years 4 months) Chief Financial Officer @ · Responsible for finance support to over thirty reporting units; transformed head office finance function as an enabler for and partner of the operating units.
· Successfully led finance function through financial complexities during the sale of Southam Publications to CanWest Global, and the subsequent integration into CanWest Global’s operations
· Generated cost savings of 10% to 15% during integration into the new parent
· Managed due diligence process culminating in a sale of the business for $2.8B From June 2000 to February 2002 (1 year 9 months) Interim Chief Financial Officer @ · Successfully established the foundation for a restructuring and sale of the company through a non-statutory restructuring
· Stabilized operations and cash flow as a core member of an interim executive team From January 2000 to June 2000 (6 months) Chief Financial Officer @ · Transformed Finance function as the company grew from $16M to $180M in five years
· Partnered with CEO on two strategic initiatives:
- negotiating a $70M term and operating facility and a $30M pension fund equity investment.
- sale of the company for US $120M, generating an annual compound return of 30%. From July 1994 to June 1999 (5 years) Partner @ Financial Advisory Services partner specializing in corporate restructurings and insolvencies including administration of Olympia & York Developments. From June 1990 to June 1994 (4 years 1 month) Partner @ Partner (1987 to 1990) specializing in corporate insolvency and restructuring. Led Calgary litigation support practice including as accounting advisors to the investigation into the collapse of the Principal Group of companies. From September 1976 to May 1990 (13 years 9 months)
Directors Education Program @ University of Toronto - Rotman School of Management From 2007 to 2007 Commerce @ McMaster University From 1972 to 1976 B. Comm @ McMaster University From 1971 to 1976 CIP, Trustee in Bankruptcy @ Canadian Insolvency Practitioners AssociationC.A., Accounting @ Institute of Chartered Accountants of OntarioWestmount Secondary
Looking for a different
Peter K. Lane?
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension