Associate of Science, Associate of Science Transfer @
Portland Community College
Development to me is less about technology and more about problem-solving. While clearly important, code is simply a means to an end. Technology and code are tools to accomplish solving a problem, but not tools that should be pulled out at the first opportunity. Few roofers start swinging hammers when they arrive at a job-site. My personal
Development to me is less about technology and more about problem-solving. While clearly important, code is simply a means to an end. Technology and code are tools to accomplish solving a problem, but not tools that should be pulled out at the first opportunity. Few roofers start swinging hammers when they arrive at a job-site. My personal challenge over the last couple years has been to avoid the temptation to write lots and lots of complicated, layered code and instead focus on the appropriate level of up-front design to maximize the efficiency of my development time and the quality of my work.
I've solved a good amount of problems using (in no particular order):
C#, VB.NET, ASP.NET, MVC, Entity Framework
C, C++, Java, Delphi
HTML, CSS, XML
SQL with MS SQL Server, Oracle, mySQL, PostgreSQL, NoSQL
Windows Server, Linux, UNIX, Mac OS X
Senior Software Engineer @ Design and implement healthcare connectivity software, working with GE CPO and CPS, Vitera Intergy, Sage Payment Solutions and Millbrook Practice Manager. Work in a partially Agile environment, implementing TDD, pair programming, peer review, daily status updates and strong integration with QA.
· Developed multi-tenant angularJS single-page application in Microsoft Azure (using Azure SQL) to coordinate patient outreach, chronic care (Care Manager Central Worklist)
· Using .NET Web Services and Remoting, created a payment gateway interface for a healthcare communication portal. Allows clinic administrators to rapidly deploy an online bill payment system for their patients.
- Developed a generic webservice-based healthcare information interface to allow integration with healthcare information vendors
· Participated in creating the first commercial implementation of Microsoft's HealthVault by creating a system of pulling patient healthcare documents into a clinic's web site and allowing the same documents to be stored to Microsoft's HealthVault.
· Re-engineered front-end components for a skinnable content management system
· Created and consumed web services to make administrative UI more responsive. Translated an MS AjaxControlToolkit-based design to one using jQuery, AJAX, JSON and web-services.
· Developed new software features involving XML-based EDI, MS Ajax toolkit, and MVP From January 2008 to Present (7 years 10 months) Portland, Oregon AreaOwner, Developer @ - www.eye4bw.com - community photography site. Assisted client in developing specs and building QA plans. Released live site 2 months after completion of spec as a solo project. Site is currently home to hundreds of professional and semi-professional photographers, allowing them a place to store and interact with thousands of high-resolution photos.
- www.yesmail.com - ongoing maintenance and development of new front end and back end features.
- PacificEast Order Validation Service (http://www.pacificeast.com/services/validation/Default.aspx) - Translated an internal application to a service model web application
- www.finleypropertymgmt.com - Deployed live site in 2 weeks as a side-project. From December 2002 to Present (12 years 11 months) Contract .NET Developer @ Designed schema and backend for Intel's Business Exchange (http://bx.intel.com) using C# and ASP.NET on top of MS SQL Server 2005 and mySQL 5.0. Site is an integration of WordPress using mySQL as storage and an ASP.NET/MS SQL Server survey/lead-generation engine. From December 2007 to January 2008 (2 months) Developer @ - Translated artist renditions of a website into functioning web store (http://shop.stellarkart.com) using a skinnable storefront based on XSL transformations.
- Maintained web store design for https://shop.kutless.com.
- Cleaned up SQL Injection for Marquis Spas (http://www.marquisspas.com). Redesigned site backend (old ASP, VBScript) and database to mitigate future SQL Injections by implementing stored procedures and proper account control. From November 2007 to December 2007 (2 months) Software developer @ Designed and developed new software and upgrades/updates to existing software, tested and deployed software on servers and desktops, created software documentation. Acted as backup systems analyst, performed database administration, provided support to users of company applications, tracked defects, performed data updates, designed and created business reports.
· Improved code base by moving legacy (Delphi 7) software utilities to new, easier to maintain design pattern and occasionally new platforms (.NET, Ruby).
· Designed and developed several administrative utilities to manage 1GB+ data updates from external vendors.
· Maintained EDI systems configuration used for receiving and transmitting medical bills.
· Developed EDI software libraries focused on high availability, fast deployment, strict HIPAA compliance and ease of maintenance.
· Designed and developed GUI components to access medical bills used as a service to company clients.
· Managed SQL Server migration from 2000 to 2005.
· Designed auto-replication and mirroring of SQL Server 2005 databases. Deployed mySQL 4 and mySQL 5 databases for the web. Installed and administered SQL Server and mySQL instances.
· Used PHP to test database connectivity, perform utility work and test algorithms. From January 2007 to October 2007 (10 months) Product Developer @ - Redesigned and rewrote existing software shipped to larger government and private organizations (US Armed Forces, Boeing, Honeywell) using .NET 2.0 (rewrite from VB6). Focus was on modular, data-driven architecture, ease of future upgrades and creating new user-requested features. Responsible for complete development life cycle.
- Independently developed a web-based mailing list management system (using PHP5), integrating several distinct databases (mySQL, SQL Server 2005, MS Access) with a legacy CRM solution (MAS 90 with Providex backend).
- Developed PHP-based content management system to allow marketing team to manage newsletter campaign mailing with self-designed content.
- Performed research and development on feasibility of new product initiatives. Developed plans to integrate them into the company's existing product line. Rolled out new hardware, product documentation, training and support.
- Studied feasibility of and deployed RFID product tracking system for printing supplies in conjunction with an overseas vendor From January 2006 to January 2007 (1 year 1 month) Operations Admin @ From 2002 to 2006 (4 years)
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension