Staff Software Engineer @ From July 2014 to Present (1 year 4 months) San Francisco Bay AreaDirector of Engineering @ Implemented RTMP Media Server in Scala. Misc work on reducing startup latency, multi-datacenter architecture. Managed the commerce team (Dropcam subscriptions, online store, marketing website) From October 2013 to July 2014 (10 months) San Francisco Bay AreaCo-Founder &
Staff Software Engineer @ From July 2014 to Present (1 year 4 months) San Francisco Bay AreaDirector of Engineering @ Implemented RTMP Media Server in Scala. Misc work on reducing startup latency, multi-datacenter architecture. Managed the commerce team (Dropcam subscriptions, online store, marketing website) From October 2013 to July 2014 (10 months) San Francisco Bay AreaCo-Founder & CTO @ Boxella helps retailers increase repeat sales by providing exceptional post-sales experiences to their customers. We are backed by Microsoft Techstars Accelerator. From September 2012 to September 2013 (1 year 1 month) Seattle, WASoftware Development Manager, Amazon Instant Video @ - Managing the team responsible for building encoding platform used by Amazon Instant Video and LoveFilm(Europe).
- Migrated encoding from physical hosts to EC2 and made the service horizontally scalable
- Lead the team to re-architect the encoding application as a platform to allow multiple consumers to leverage the platform
- Management responsibilities including hiring, career development, mentoring and growth of engineering team
- Built a video encoding platform used for other Amazon properties.
- AWS, EC2, Simple Workflow(SWF), Video Transcoding, PlayReady, Widevine, Smooth Streaming, CDN and whole lot more. From July 2011 to September 2012 (1 year 3 months) Seattle,WACo-Founder @ Product to generate test cases and data from requirements written in english-like language. From December 2010 to December 2011 (1 year 1 month) Greater Seattle AreaLead Program Manager (Manager) @ Product: PlayReady (http://www.microsoft.com/playready)
Working on cutting edge content protection systems.
Lead a team of Program Managers to define and deliver content protection technology for premium video content in Silverlight 4.0.
Engaged with content and cable providers to enable their 3 screen strategies with Microsoft technologies.
Responsible for management, career development and growth of five Program Managers.
Defined scope of releases and negotiated deliverables. From September 2009 to July 2011 (1 year 11 months) Development Lead (Manager) @ - Responsible for delivering high scale web services to supporting DRM functionality
- Design, code and manage PlayReady DRM SDKs for issuing licenses.
- Design and code components of PlayReady DRM Porting Kit to enable DRM scenarios on mobile platforms.
- Interface with business groups to define the pricing and distribution for the SDKs
- Envision, prototype and evangelize new product initiatives in the area
- Lead team through an accelerated learning curve to deliver a scalable and reliable service
- Assess knowledge gaps, technical and schedule risks and implement mitigation strategies
- General Management including career development, mentoring and growth of development team From January 2008 to August 2009 (1 year 8 months) Senior Software Engineer @ PlayReady
- Technical ownership of Content Protection SDK used by video service providers
- Ownership of end-to-end engineering planning. Implement and track project metrics and drive day-to-day engineering execution
- Engage directly with external partners and incorporate feedback in the product
- Design features that ensure integrity of the ecosystem by leveraging cryptography and contractual mechanisms
- Core member of Professional Content Group responsible for driving VC1 adoption in Hollywood studios
- Reduce time to encode a full length HD movie from 2 weeks to 10 hours
- Design and implemented encoder SDK that parallelized the encoding process
- Identify gaps in solutions and engaged codec experts to improve quality
- Manage relationships with key encoder vendors to ensure that encoder fits in the existing workflow for studios
- Manage the schedule, dependencies and executive communication for the product
- Product was subsequently licensed to key encoder vendors across the industry
- Worked as part of the team that delivered key Codec and DSP components into Windows
- Enhance performance of Windows Media Video codec by offloading parts of the computation to GPU using DXVA APIs
- Prototype VC1 elementary stream in MPEG2-TS stream with live demo over ATSC and DVB-S
- Improve the performance of DV and MP3 decoder in Windows
- Develop key components of Windows Media platform (Media Foundation) From July 2001 to December 2007 (6 years 6 months)
M.S., Computer Science @ The Ohio State University From 1999 to 2001 B Tech., Computer Science @ Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur From 1994 to 1998 Pankaj S. is skilled in: Software Development, Software Design, C++, C#, Web Services, C, Streaming Media, ASP.NET, Amazon EC2, Management, Distributed Systems, Scalability, Software Engineering, Agile Methodologies, Project Management, Media Foundation, DRM, Architecture, Silverlight, Mobile Devices, Agile Project Management, Cloud Computing
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension