Bachelor of Science (B.S.) @
Bemidji State University
I am a senior healthcare executive with more than twenty-five years of experience (CEO, COO, EVP) in large, complex health systems, community and teaching hospitals, and multi-specialty medical group practices chosen to lead healthcare organizations facing mission critical challenges. As a transformational leader, and one who believes in servant leadership, I thrive on the intricacies and complexities
I am a senior healthcare executive with more than twenty-five years of experience (CEO, COO, EVP) in large, complex health systems, community and teaching hospitals, and multi-specialty medical group practices chosen to lead healthcare organizations facing mission critical challenges. As a transformational leader, and one who believes in servant leadership, I thrive on the intricacies and complexities of the challenging healthcare environment.
Currently, I am Region Vice President of Hospital Operations for Kaiser Permanente, Northern California Region (Oakland, CA), where I am leading transformational work across 22 medical centers that employ 25,000 FTEs. The largest of KP’s seven regions, the Northern California Region provides integrated health care services to approximately 3.5M health plan members. After joining KP in 2014 as COO, Santa Clara, I led regional initiatives within the first nine months and was elevated to Region Vice President within the first year.
My track record of data-informed strategies and decisions is marked by proven results in the areas of profitable growth, operational excellence, care experience, clinical quality, and physician and employee engagement.
I am experienced in board relations, physician models and legal structures, strategic positioning, operations, finance, and corporate shared services. Because there are no corners of an organization that I haven't led from a strategic perspective, I understand the complexities and interdependencies of the work that needs to be done and the decisions that need to be made to build a high-performing organization. Having walked in so many shoes, I have the transformational leadership skills to move individual, team, and corporate performance from good to great.
Region Vice President of Hospital Operations, Northern California Region @ As Region VP, I develop, plan, and execute regional operational strategies and drive operational excellence. Additionally, I oversee strategic design and implementation of initiatives in partnership with Kaiser Foundation Hospitals and The Permanente Medical Group executives in finance, human resources, and strategy & business development to ensure optimal use of resources in achieving quality, service, and affordability.
• Spearheaded a region-wide, thee-year transformational change effort to drive excellence in operations and management effectiveness consistent with the KP National Strategic Imperative to Perform, Grow and Lead in the market.
• Built organizational capability and capacity to identify and implement transformational changes by developing a Regional Office of Operational Excellence and leading a team of regional consultants to execute on fifteen strategic projects in the impact areas of Clear Ownership, Improved Decisions, Optimized Workforce, Technology Enabled, Insight Driven, and Consistent Performance. Designed and implemented to change current operating model, this work is about accelerating small- and large-scale innovations to drive performance at all levels of the organization.
• In partnership with The Permanente Medical Group, I provide ongoing leadership of regional oversight groups to set strategy for clinical services consolidation, design, efficiency, and care delivery across all service lines. From February 2015 to Present (11 months) Chief Operating Officer & (concurrently) Interim Chief Financial Officer @ As COO and interim CFO, I provided executive oversight for all day-to-day operations at Santa Clara Medical Center (a 327-bed tertiary hospital) including inpatient and outpatient nursing, perioperative, quality, member services, facilities, and support services. Additionally, I managed all financial services including capital and budget planning.
• Established strategic alignment within three months and focused priorities to quickly meet annual cost goals while achieving overall care experience and quality goals. Achievements include: reduced overtime from 10.5% per pay period to 4.8% per pay period; reduced FTE’s from 2,050 to 1,985; and increased Care Experience to 78.9% overall rate hospital score.
• Initiated and led a multi-year “Operational Excellence” strategic project for Santa Clara that identified $35M in non-reoccurring labor and non-labor expense savings opportunities using a metrics-driven approach and leveraging national best practices.
• Initiated the reorganization of the physician and hospital quality committee governance structure, thus offering the opportunity to plan and implement clinical quality priorities from a service line framework and focused on driving population health outcomes. Implementation planned for 2016.
• Led planning and successful implementation of work stoppage plan in response to a strike by more than 800 RNs.
• Implemented a robust case management program, in partnership with physician leadership, to reduce length of stay (LOS) and enhance patient throughput leveraging Lean.
• Introduced a metrics-driven Position Management Operating Model and led a regional initiative for staffing and scheduling that realized $16M in cost savings in 2015.
• Redesigned the budgeting and forecasting process for Santa Clara Medical Center and completed annual budget for 2015, meeting all regional targets. From February 2014 to May 2015 (1 year 4 months) COO & Executive Vice President Operations @ Courage Center is a nationally known nonprofit rehabilitation and resource center for people with physical disabilities, brain injuries, and speech or vision impairments, offering services in nine locations.
As both a senior executive and a strategic consultant concurrently, I led all Courage Center product line operations (inpatient, outpatient, and community-based/health/recreation), facilities, marketing, communications, and IT.
As COO & EVP, I developed and implemented rapid turnaround of operations to stabilize the organization. Under my leadership, we repositioned business model to product lines, realized a $4.5M reduction in expenses over two years resulting in positive margin for first time in more than five years, reduced line of credit from $13M to $6M, increased net revenue by 2% year over year, and developed an innovative nine-cell business line planning & forecasting model with supporting analytics to reposition the organization to perform on a “stand-alone” basis or in a partnership scenario. From June 2011 to June 2013 (2 years 1 month) Strategic Consultant @ While COO & EVP at Courage Center, I also served as a strategic consultant to executive office and two Courage Center boards. As lead strategist and negotiator, I successfully completed a full merger with a large healthcare system in MN and a second spin-off merger of the legacy Courage Camp Programs & Services with a community partner. Central to the merger, we designed the first innovative and seamless comprehensive care delivery model (combining clinical care with supportive social and community health & wellness programming) with a focus on improving overall population health for people with disabilities. From May 2011 to September 2011 (5 months) Chief Operating Officer @ NMHC is a two-hospital system comprising a 426-bed flagship hospital in Robbinsdale and a 90-bed community hospital in Maple Grove, with a medical staff of more than 600 active physicians.
As COO, I provided system-wide leadership oversight for two hospitals (tertiary and community) including inpatient and outpatient care delivery and related support functions: Surgery Service Line (inpatient and two ambulatory surgery centers), Heart & Vascular Institute, Cancer Center, Diagnostic Center, Ground & Air Ambulance Services, Women’s & Children’s, Critical Care & Trauma, Inpatient Nursing, Imaging, Lab, Pharmacy, hospital-based clinics/physician practices, and system shared services.
• Chosen to lead a two-hospital system facing significant operating performance challenges including avoiding default on bond covenants, creating headroom on all key financial ratios, and developing strategies that would recapture market share and provide profitable growth opportunities.
• Developed a strategy for physician/hospital alignment resulting in the creation of a physician organization with a Physician Dyad Leadership Model.
• Led strategic planning for service line development that resulted in establishing service lines as a growth strategy across all sites and services; the growth strategy was further supported by launching a brand strategy to highlight under-branded programs in the marketplace and to reposition North Memorial in the market.
• Created a clinical enterprise approach to quality by aligning physicians with hospital leadership for joint oversight and to drive clinical outcomes while leveraging hospital resources in Six Sigma and Lean to exponentially improve patient safety, core measures, and key clinical process outcomes.
• Successfully led and deployed a contingency plan in response to the Minnesota nurses contract negotiations and eventual strike of more than 900 registered nurses. From August 2008 to December 2010 (2 years 5 months) Vice President Procedural Services @ As VP, I provided system-wide leadership of two brand-recognized service lines, including Surgical Services and Imaging Services, and oversight for all ambulatory facilities and joint ventures & partnerships with physician and healthcare systems.
• Created vision and operational plan to achieve breakthrough performance within the Surgery Service Line that had a total inpatient and outpatient case volume of 38,000 cases per year.
• Worked with orthopedic surgeon group to refine total joint program approach, and standardized vendors for implants and tools-sets. Outcomes included >8% growth in total joint volumes, recognition by Health Grades as the top total joint program in Minnesota for 2010, and >$2M savings in implant costs.
• Created and implemented Surgery Business Modeling by leveraging a 5-point filtering approach and rationalizing surgery specialties by site. This effort required collaboration with multiple physician specialties and administration.
• Introduced service level management approach to physician service contracting for radiology, pathology, anesthesia, hospitalists, and employed medical directors. Tying clinical engagement, physician leadership, and behavior expectations within measureable targets, NMHC and practitioners were able to mutually establish performance parameters within professional service agreements. Results included clear understanding of compensation linked to achievement, and more engaged, satisfied physicians. From December 2007 to August 2008 (9 months) Chief Executive Officer @ As CEO, I provided oversight for an ambulatory outpatient care center providing Same Day Surgery, Radiology, Breast Center, Lab, and Urgent Care Service, and a medical office with a mix of primary care and specialty physician clinics. Additionally, I provided strategic vision, planning, and operational leadership to ensure continued growth of patient base, market share, revenue, and visual presence in the community.
• Decreased operating costs and increased efficiencies and service levels by driving the transition and integration of WestHealth administrative and operational areas to North Memorial corporate system structure. Operational areas included employee benefits, compliance, physician services contract management, IT infrastructure, EHR, marketing & communications, medical records, property/real estate management, payer contracting, revenue cycle, and supply chain management.
• Created a vision to differentiate WestHealth performance based on Six Pillars of Excellence strategy, and achieved complete vision launch within first three months. From August 2005 to December 2007 (2 years 5 months) Administrator of Medicine Clinical Business Unit @ The Hennepin County healthcare system, a 455-operating bed and Level I Trauma Center, includes a comprehensive, academic medical center and public teaching hospital, primary care and specialty care clinics, and prevention and health promotion programs.
As Administrator, I provided oversight of system-wide operations of the medicine clinical business unit, which included its Cancer Center, Heart Center, Inpatient Medicine, Critical Care and Stepdown Units, and medicine primary and specialty physician clinics. From 2004 to 2005 (1 year) VP Finance & Administration @ From 2003 to 2004 (1 year) Executive VP, Corporate Systems and Services @ BHS is a nonprofit Catholic healthcare system with more than forty healthcare organizations in multiple states including tertiary and community hospitals, clinics, long-term care, assisted living, and housing.
As EVP, my responsibilities included leadership of all corporate systems and services including organizational effectiveness, human resources, clinical services & systems, supply chain & pharmacy, marketing & communications, and IT.
Concurrently, I served as Interim CEO (six months) at BHS’s St. Mary’s Regional Medical Center, an 80-bed acute and long-term facility. From 1999 to 2003 (4 years) Senior VP, Hospital Operations; VP Hospital Operations; Assistant VP, Patient Care & Nursing Service @ An integrated healthcare system of BHS, St. Mary’s included Level II Trauma and community hospitals (400 beds), a large multi-specialty physician practice, and more than twenty clinics in Duluth/Superior and the greater northeast region. From 1990 to 1999 (9 years)
Master of Arts (M.A.), Management @ The College of St. ScholasticaBachelor of Science (B.S.), Accounting @ Bemidji State University Pamela Lindemoen is skilled in: Healthcare, Physician Relations, Healthcare Management, Hospitals, Healthcare Information Technology, Revenue Cycle, Inpatient, Change Management, Physicians, Healthcare Consulting, Rehabilitation, EHR, Healthcare Industry, Acute Care, Strategic Planning
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension