15+ years of network administration, operations and systems support experience. Hands-on operational support for highly available IT infrastructures and associated support services, including UNIX, Linux, Windows and Mac OS servers, SAN, Active Directory, virtualization, data centres, storage, security, network optimisation, disaster recovery, backup and restore. Quick turnaround time, high flexibility, desire and ability to pick
15+ years of network administration, operations and systems support experience. Hands-on operational support for highly available IT infrastructures and associated support services, including UNIX, Linux, Windows and Mac OS servers, SAN, Active Directory, virtualization, data centres, storage, security, network optimisation, disaster recovery, backup and restore. Quick turnaround time, high flexibility, desire and ability to pick up new technologies are my strong points. Technical challenges are what I eat for breakfast, lunch and dinner.
To play a productive role putting into production and supporting applications/systems in a position as a System Administrator. Further my knowledge in Linux scripting and puppet implementations in a rapidly growing (web) environment.
Specialties: Linux Administration
Backup scripts and automation
Storage and backups
Current interests: Security, IoT, Google Apps, Amazon AWS
Cloud Deployment Engineer @ • Solutions Design and implementation
• Client facing
• Project Management
• Change Management
• Client Engagement
• Capacity planning
• Document processes, solutions and deployment projects for use by internal teams and customers
• Collaborate with Sales, Pre-Sales, Product Management, Account Management, Project Management, Service Management, Data Centers, Management other internal teams across continents, to develop project scope documentation, statements of work, technical specifications, and business requirements related to customer engagements
• Firewalls (Palo Alto, Fortinet, Checkpoint, Cisco, Juniper). Working with Information Security to ensure that firewalls are properly configured and deployed to ensure security
• vMware (ESX 3.x, 4.x,5.x installations and upgrades), P2V & V2V, vMotion & Storage vMotion
• Linux (Rehat, Ubuntu, Debian)
• Windows 2003/2008/2012/2012 R2
• Load Balancers (Citrix, Alteons)
• CDN (provisioning, tuning)
• Storage Architectures (NetApp, IBM DS, Storwize)
• Symantec NetBackup
• Effective interpersonal and customer service skills
• Ability to interact positively with senior management
• Mental flexibility to deal with a rapidly changing environment
• Familiarity with ServiceNow From December 2012 to Present (3 years 1 month) London, United KingdomCustomer Support Analyst 24/7 @ • Provide Support for NTTE customers via telephone, email and online tickets.
• Support, maintain, and improve customer services
• Provide accurate and timely diagnosis and rectification of customer faults.
• Resolve or escalate problems and service requests according to established procedures
• Work proactively to ensure prompt resolution of support cases and the highest possible levels
of customer satisfaction
• Following training, demonstrate clear skills with NTTE-employed technologies.
• Raise, update, and close calls on service desk call management system
• Escalate call to other 2nd 3rd Line support/external maintenance companies
• Cisco/Fortigate/Juniper Firewalls
• Netapp filers
• Symantec Netbackup
• Redhat Enterprise Linux
• Windows 2003/2008
• Solaris From December 2011 to December 2012 (1 year 1 month) London, United KingdomFreelance IT Systems Engineer @ • Evaluate and recommend specific server and storage technology solutions,products and platforms to provide cost-effective solutions that meet business and technology requirements. For example, helping clients transition their servers to the cloud utilising Amazon Web Services
• Install and configure Active Directory/Windows 2008 for various clients
• Install, upgrade and maintain Sonicwall/Watchguard firewalls into new & existing networks
• Install Microsoft Exchange servers
• Perform Plesk/LAMP/Wordpress site hosting setups
• Install Mac OS X and perform end-user customisations on workstations
• Install Adobe Creative Suite CS5 for various clients and provide end-user training
• Carry out forensics projects (network protocol analysis using Wireshark and Wildpackets OmniPeek Network Analyzer
• Design and implement Backup & Disaster Recovery procedures and measures for Windows/Linux/Mac networks. From August 2011 to December 2011 (5 months) London, United KingdomNetwork and Systems Infrastructure Administrator @ •Responsible for the physical setup, support and security of the web infrastructure platform. This included about sixty servers (Redhat Enterprise, Debian, MySQL, Apache, Windows 2003/2008, Active Directory, DNS, DHCP, Exchange, Blackberry Enterprise Server, IIS, SQL, FTP and Video Streaming), firewall configuration and inter-system connectivity.
• Setup and administer Windows Media Stream servers to provide media on-demand services to clients such as Disney, Nike and Universal Studios, in various different continents.
• Kept all systems and network stable and functioning at peak performance. On-call availability and some weekend/night work required.
• LTO, Overland, DAS, Symantec NetBackup and Veeam.
• VMware infrastructure (ESXi, P2V, vSphere).
• Worked with the development team in implementing new web-based projects.
• Deployed and managed Microsoft TFS server for use by the development team.
• Administered and upgraded Storage Area Network (SAN) arrays and SAN switches (HP and Brocade).
• Managed routers, firewalls, Nortel VoIP system, installed and configured L2/L3 switches (Dell PowerConnect, HP ProCurve, Cisco, Nortel).
• Implemented a network monitoring solution.
• Administered HP, Dell, Fujitsu, IBM and Apple (G5s, Mac Pros, iMacs, Mac Mini, iPad, iPhone) hardware.
• Assisted in evaluating and recommending technology and third party solutions.
• Supported Apple product integration into mixed Windows environment.
• Researched, installed and supported AV systems (radio and video capture devices).
• Installed, configured and supported scanners and colour printers.
• Assisted end-users with support using applications such as FileMaker, Adobe Creative Suite CS5 and MS Office.
• Provided effective customer support in a diverse user community with widely varying levels of computer literacy.
• Travelled to clients’ sites as in order to diagnose and fix problems.
• Interacted effectively with external vendors and service providers. From May 2011 to August 2011 (4 months) London, United KingdomSystems Engineer @ • Carried out various contractual projects for clients at the Docklands and Colt Data Centres.
• Provided consulting for residential, small and medium businesses, maintenance of small sized networks with 15-20 clients, developing secure and reliable backup plans for clients, network design and proper equipment implementation for various networks, hardware repairs of Windows, Linux and Apple desktops, servers and laptop systems.
• Resold and supported cloud backup, disaster recovery, email archiving, content/web filtering and endpoint security solutions from Asigra, Intronis, McAfee, MessageLabs, StorageCraft and Webroot.
• Assisted clients in meeting business goals by adapting specific IT technologies.
• Designed and implemented systems using Linux, Windows and Mac OS X platforms.
• Prepared disaster assessments and recovery plans. Developed specifications and project plans for redundant storage, backup systems and point-of-recovery planning.
• Conducted complete project scoping, including business requirements definition, project management and delivery.
• Provided clients with onsite/remote support of critical systems, such as servers, workstations and disaster recovery.
• Implemented and troubleshooted VoIP solutions and quality of services measures on IP networks.
• Performed network security assessments and vulnerability analysis, including perimeter penetration and wireless security evaluations.
• Designed, installed and supported IP CCTV systems, including Axis, Bosch, Mobotix, SONY and Linux/Free-BSD NAS storage. From May 2009 to April 2011 (2 years) Systems Administrator @ • Installed Windows Server 2008/Exchange with Active Directory, acting as DNS/DHCP/File/Email server.
• Designed and implemented Disaster Recovery policies for server and workstations.
• Connected London and Cyprus offices via VPN.
• Acted as IT Administrator for offices in London and Cyprus. From April 2008 to April 2009 (1 year 1 month) London, United KingdomIT Manager - Library @ • Managed UNIX, Linux and Windows systems, Oracle RDBMS, including network security, performance tuning, imaging, data backups and implemented off¬site storage of backups using rsync.
• Responsible for daily maintenance and support of the Library’s system. Liaised with the software manufacturer in Israel in order to provide the best uptime and system performance possible.
• Installed and utilized network monitoring software such as Nagios.
• Planned and deployed a new ticketing system for the IT department, using RT: Request Tracker on CentOS Linux.
• Ensured all servers and workstations were secure, patched and protected through antivirus software.
• Deployed new systems for public library use, using Symantec Ghost and Sysprep, as well as Acronis Snap Deploy. Used lock-down policies on Windows systems to secure workstations.
• Installed, configured and maintained a Microsoft SQL Server and a Postfix email server.
• Supported, taught and guided staff in using the Library’s system. Wrote new Oracle scripts and changed existing ones in order to assist staff in using the system to its maximum potential.
• Prepared proposals for funding and communicated with external contractors as required.
• Provided helpdesk assistance to students and staff, working within the University’s ITIL guidelines. From September 2007 to April 2008 (8 months) CyprusUNIX Systems Engineer @ • Designed, installed, configured, administered, tuned, and optimized UNIX, Linux and Windows systems servers and related components to achieve high availability and performance of the various business applications supported.
• I was part of a team of six engineers who designed, implemented and supported EMC/Sun/Hitachi/Brocade Fibre/SCSI SAN and Oracle solutions for various banks, government, semi-government agencies and private enterprises. Main platforms I supported were Solaris, Linux and Windows. Clients included the Land Registry Department, Ministry of Interior, Cyprus Police, Ministry of Justice and Public Order, Ministry of Labour and Social Insurance, Pensions Department, Ministry of Finance, Social Welfare Department, Treasury Department, Federal Bank of Middle East, Government of Cyprus Central Bank, Hellenic Bank, Cyprus Airways and the Cyprus Telecommunication Agency.
• Acted as Project Manager for company projects. For example, I was the Project Manager for the operation and maintenance of a mobile SMS system composed of eighteen Solaris and Redhat Enterprise Linux servers, Oracle RDBMS, StorageTek, EMC storage arrays and Symantec NetBackup. Suppliers I liaised with included Vodafone and Gemalto. This included managing resources, budgets as well as personnel working remotely from different countries.
• Advised and installed the first VMWARE ESX server for a new client. Solution included Brocade switches, Sun Servers and Fibre attached StorageTek arrays.
• Organized trainings, schedules and classes. In one of these trainings, I coordinated Solaris/Netbackup and ESRI’s Geographical Information Systems software installations and employee training for the Land Information Services Government Department. I also delivered trainings on NetBackup and Solaris in Cyprus and to clients abroad.
• Implemented a hardware/software GPS NTP solution for the biggest Telcom Operator in the country.
• Installed, serviced and troubleshooted HP Designjet Plotters. From March 2004 to August 2007 (3 years 6 months) CyprusSystems Engineer @ • Provided IT consulting services to businesses.
• Performed installations of Linux and Solaris with Macromedia’s ColdFusion MX server for various clients.
• Installed and supported email and antivirus server-client solutions.
• Engaged in post-sales account management activities, to develop sale opportunities.
• Collected continuous feedback from clients, target companies and competitor's practices. From February 2003 to February 2004 (1 year 1 month) CyprusIT Administrator @ • Worked with Corporate IT in California to enable me to the IT locally with the facilities in Arizona.
• Installed and supported an email server that was used by more than 100 users.
• Used Norton Ghost software to image systems for fast disaster recovery and image deployment.
• Designed and implemented a set of backup and disaster recovery procedures for the data on the servers.
• Researched, purchased, installed and administered numerous software applications and hardware including document scanners, colour laser printers, industrial bar-code printers, firewalls and VPN appliances. From August 2002 to January 2003 (6 months) United StatesNetwork Administrator @ • Developed and implemented a centralized backup solution for about 200 computers in 4 different subnets using Retrospect Server software.
• Administered several Linux (Redhat), UNIX (mainly SGI IRIX) and Windows servers, including external RAID arrays.
• Planned, organized and supervised the evaluation, selection and purchase of about computer software and hardware.
• Installed and supported numerous operating systems, such as Redhat Linux, Apple and Microsoft for about all faculty, research students and staff personnel in research labs.
• Assisted in building a seven-node Redhat Linux Beowulf cluster to be used for research and simulations.
• Ensured security of equipment and data which included keeping records of equipment warranty information and licensing documentation.
• Assisted in designing online courses using WebCT which were later integrated into Blackboard. Also trained instructors how to use this Virtual Learning Environment platform.
• Helped university staff resolve computer system problems, software packages issues and network hiccups.
• Installed and used Oracle Portal extensively to develop back-end databases for research projects funded by the University.
• Coordinated with vendors of computer applications or hardware products to resolve local questions or problems.
• Configured Business Office workstations for remote connectivity with University’s mainframe.
• Installed and configured SCSI devices like high-end printers, scanners, film processors and CD-writers for sharing over the network. From February 2000 to July 2002 (2 years 6 months) United StatesGreek Language Instructor @ Delivered one-to-one deep immersion Greek Language courses. Followed curriculum as provided by institution. From 1997 to 1997 (less than a year)
Information Systems @ University of ArizonaLiberal Arts @ Johnson County Community College Pambos Charalambous is skilled in: Palo Alto Networks, Virtualization, VMware, VMware vSphere, Cloud Computing, Linux, Red Hat Linux, Ubuntu, Debian, Integration, Solution Architecture, Fortinet, Network Design, Puppet, Cisco Technologies
Looking for a different
Get an email address for anyone on LinkedIn with the ContactOut Chrome extension